The Mullet Thread

• Previous Page
Posted: Oct 10, 2020 at 7:24 Quote
I haven't found a thread specifically for mullet bikes, so I'm making one.

I have a 2020 Fuel EX that I rode for a year in the normal configuration. When it comes in, I'm going to put on a 27.5 rear wheel with the flip-chip in the high position. I'll update this thread with pictures and my personal experience.

Why do I want a mullet bike? The primary reason is to bunny-hop and manual more often on the trail to clear obstacles.

Has anyone tried a mullet bike, and did you stick with it?

FL
Posted: Oct 10, 2020 at 16:08 Quote
Yeah, I mulleted my Banshee Rune. I’m on my second season on it and will keep it that way. Posted it in a similar thread that died on the vine (not bitter...
photo
I swear). I love my mullet. Considering a 69er mullet for my DH bike and turning my trail bike into one as well.

Posted: Oct 12, 2020 at 5:17 Quote
Mulleted my Yeti SB150. Had the shock length extended by 3.5mm to raise the BB a bit and as an added bonus also gives approximately an extra 10mm travel. Not sure what the difference in BB height is, but the HA went from 64.5 stock to 64. So far liking it a lot, even with the slacker HA it's much more nimble especially in tight turns and more importantly, just more fun to ride. Had a couple of pedal strikes, but no big deal.
Can't see me going back.

Posted: Oct 14, 2020 at 12:34 Quote
I have a Patrol and was able to fit an old 29er wheel with 2.3 Schwalbe in a 27.5 Lyrik (2019). Took it for a test ride and it felt really good, decided to take the chance and order a new 29er rim and am hoping a 2.3 DHF or DHR will fit (they should be even smaller).

Good enough clearance at the arch and the tire just barely buzzes the crown at 100% bottom out, nothing I will notice and I dont think Ive even bottomed out that far while riding (it usually goes as far as the Debonair logo). Once I get the new wheel setup and a proper tire I'll decide if its good/safe to use for everything or just rocky tech trails.

Posted: Oct 27, 2020 at 3:33 Quote
My 2020 Trek Fuel EX in mullet configuration
Got it together yesterday! Riding around the neighborhood I can't tell any difference.

FL
Posted: Oct 27, 2020 at 6:19 Quote
I'm waiting on a tyre so I can try mini mullet on the trail bike, If I like it I'll do the FR bike too.

Posted: Oct 27, 2020 at 20:23 Quote
photo
Running Mullet since day One. Really takes the edge off these East Coast rocks!

FL
Posted: Nov 1, 2020 at 4:32 Quote
Mini Mullet set up on the Surge. Also trying a 29mm 2.3 front an 32 mm2.4 rear because moto probably wont stay unless it s amazing. If this gives me faster PB s in my local tech trails than I m gonna do the FR park rig. Better pics when the sun comes back
Mini Mullet set up on the Surge.
Also, trying a 29mm/2.3 front an 32/mm2.4 rear because moto, probably wont stay as I'm from BMX an used to a bigger front tyre an thinner rear. Unless it's amazing.
If this gives me faster PB's in my local tech trails than I'm gonna do the FR/park rig. Better pics when the sun comes back.
For interest, measured exactly 16mm difference in diameter between front an rear

Posted: Nov 1, 2020 at 4:39 Quote
So I've been putting some time in on the mullet, and I'm surprised by how much more stable the bike is on skinnies! I need to use less "body English" to keep the bike on line.

Posted: Nov 1, 2020 at 7:05 Quote
Im building a mullet at the minute, using an old NS Soda FR1 frame from 2013. I just bought a Fox 36 fork and will be adding a HOPE Fortus 27.5" wheel when it arrives. Waiting times say another 3 weeks to wait.

Posted: Nov 1, 2020 at 9:13 Quote
set up michelin wild enduro 2.4 front 2.6 rear, fork travel from160 to 140

mullet version

mullet version

Posted: Nov 1, 2020 at 16:16 Quote
^^ I guess you don't sit down on that seat much! That seat angle tho...

Posted: Nov 2, 2020 at 13:07 Quote
^^ I guess you don't sit down on that seat much! That seat angle tho...

it's perfect for me Big Grin

O+
Posted: Nov 2, 2020 at 13:23 Quote
I just bought a new Specialized Status 160, stock mullet setup. Had my first ride on it last night, and it was crazy good! Just need a little more saddle time to get used to, but think its a winner already.
photo
photo

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.020113
Mobile Version of Website