Alpine Trail XR

PB Forum :: Marin Bikes
Alpine Trail XR
Posted: Aug 9, 2021 at 4:04 Quote
i got a large at 6ft and was using a oneup 210 with it lifted out a good bit.(i have my saddle height set correctly where as alot dont)

My large frame was warrantied, replacement frame also had the same damage(main linkage pivot hole on frame not drilled straight), we tried a Trail 7 frame in Large too, same thing. my understanding is all local Large frames from the last batch got recalled. (trail 7 and XR)
If your main linkage pivot bolt is really tight on either side then you most likely have the problem too(my shock didnt line up at all)

O+
Posted: Aug 13, 2021 at 19:17 Quote
Almost 5'11" but I'm still young and growing so I might hit over 6'. I run my post slammed for the downs and I got sick of having to crack out the Allen key for every trail. I was looking to see if anyone could fit a 200mm slammed or if I'd have to compromise with a 170mm

Posted: Aug 13, 2021 at 19:37 Quote
Shred-BC wrote:
Almost 5'11" but I'm still young and growing so I might hit over 6'. I run my post slammed for the downs and I got sick of having to crack out the Allen key for every trail. I was looking to see if anyone could fit a 200mm slammed or if I'd have to compromise with a 170mm

what size? a 210 oneup didnt quite slam in my large. if your a medium get the 180 it will slam.

O+
Posted: Aug 13, 2021 at 20:21 Quote
I've got a large. I measured the seat tube and it said I had over 300mm of room. However that was with the ghetto measuring method of a long stick

O+
Posted: Aug 13, 2021 at 20:24 Quote
The 210 OneUp is 297mm vs the PNW 200 which is 290mm for full insertion. I should be pretty close, I don't mind if there is 10mm or so between the collar and the clamp.

Posted: Aug 15, 2021 at 17:34 Quote
Hey there!! Looking for some advise. Right now I ride an Specialized Enduro 2017 27'5 size M and for me it is great!!!. I'm thinking of getting a new bike and the Alpine seems a pretty good choice. I'm just hesitating about the climbing capability of the bike compare to my actual bike, do you think it is going to be worse? Also, I read that the back of the bike doesn't feel as playful, I don't know if that is the way I'm going to feel coming from the enduro.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Posted: Aug 15, 2021 at 18:13 Quote
it will surprise you how good it climbs even with a coil not locked out - you are sat very upright, personally i run a 30T chainring as im a fatty.
Not sure where you read the back isnt playful? it's got 430 CS its quick and agile in the rear and the super slack front will let it bulldoze when you need it to.
It's a more playful version of the norco sight and that thing is playful as IMO.

Posted: Aug 16, 2021 at 6:12 Quote
@noideamtber thank you for all the information I think you have convinced me to give a try to the bike.

Regards

Posted: Feb 16, 2022 at 11:04 Quote
I’m thinking about buying a used Alpine trail xr but I saw the post above about frame/linkage recalls.
I wonder if Marin would help with that if the bike was bought used?

Posted: Feb 16, 2022 at 19:18 Quote
My understanding is the Problem laid with Large size frames on a mass production run that catered for both the Trail 7 & XR.
If you can see it in person ask if you can remove the top shock bolts and then see if the shock slides in and out of the linkage nicely.
As a Sure fire way - Ask to remove the rocker linkage and see if the bolt holes in the frame are tapped straight(if they are not the linkage rocker will bind when its not attached to seat stay or shock.)

If the assembly isnt correct it puts stress on the shock, especially since its trunnion and i've seen 2 air shocks crack - my Rockshox coil's shaft was rubbing the anno off.

The Demo one i rode was perfect and had no issues.

Posted: Feb 17, 2022 at 10:20 Quote
Thanks I’m thinking about buying a used one off pinkbike so I can’t check it

Posted: Mar 22, 2022 at 12:14 Quote
Putting down my deposit for one this week. Any long-term reviews from y'all?

Posted: Mar 22, 2022 at 12:32 Quote
Considering the volume of the new Alpine bikes sold, ive heard no issues other than the above batch of larges(mine had the same thing) but we were told this has been fixed.
Wish they sold these as frame only. The geo is spot on for what i do(everything, pedal days to multi day park laps)

Posted: Mar 22, 2022 at 17:44 Quote
Did you find yourself wanting more from the stock brakes or wheelset? Bike overall is an excellent deal, but those are two notable areas which they definitely chose to go more budget in favor of the suspension/drivetrain

Posted: Mar 22, 2022 at 18:12 Quote
Venturebikes wrote:
Did you find yourself wanting more from the stock brakes or wheelset? Bike overall is an excellent deal, but those are two notable areas which they definitely chose to go more budget in favor of the suspension/drivetrain

Personally, I replaced the brakes initially with XT 4 pots, which are horrid for any serious riding(heavier rider too) that bike ended up with TRP on it, wish id just put my New RSC's on it from new but i had these XT's left over from a bike i swapped to RSC.
I never had an issue with the stock wheels but i swapped them out for Nukeproof horizon v2's eventually

Copyright © 2000 - 2023. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.019058
Mobile Version of Website