Alpine Trail XR

PB Forum :: Marin Bikes
Alpine Trail XR
FL
Posted: Jun 17, 2022 at 6:04 Quote
That's really good to hear. A lot of manufacturers are going to keep their prices the same or continue to raise them because they realize that people will pay for the increased prices.

Posted: Dec 4, 2022 at 13:44 Quote
I’m about to buy an alpine trail XR.
I actually have an alpine trail E2 already and it’s great but I like to pedal also.
My pedal bike is a tallboy which is great but I am more into descending and the ebike is great for it.
I took the transX dropper out of the ebike and sold it and replaced it with a 200 pnw.
Has anyone put a long dropper in the alpine trail xr and how much is sticking up ?

Also how much of a beast is it to pedal uphill?
Just because of weight I was thinking about a carbon bike like Bronson or maybe a stumpjumper evo but I like the idea of an aluminum bike.

FL
Posted: Dec 4, 2022 at 14:22 Quote
haji1974 wrote:
I’m about to buy an alpine trail XR.
I actually have an alpine trail E2 already and it’s great but I like to pedal also.
My pedal bike is a tallboy which is great but I am more into descending and the ebike is great for it.
I took the transX dropper out of the ebike and sold it and replaced it with a 200 pnw.
Has anyone put a long dropper in the alpine trail xr and how much is sticking up ?

Also how much of a beast is it to pedal uphill?
Just because of weight I was thinking about a carbon bike like Bronson or maybe a stumpjumper evo but I like the idea of an aluminum bike.

Ive had both the Stumpy Evo, XR and currently a Spectral(ive also owned many bikes in between)

The XR, While heavy it pedals pretty good even with the coil shock, Comfy and upright, sit an spin.
Have you considered the Carbon version?

If i didnt have a warranty issue with my XR i would still be rocking it.

Posted: Dec 4, 2022 at 14:59 Quote
Cool- it’s interesting to hear what you think about different bikes.
I thought about a carbon alpine trail but it’s about 2k more. I can afford it but I found a good deal on an XR. I like the coil on my E2. Also I want to try out an aluminum bike.
Seems like the XR is about 37 lbs?
And the carbon alpine trail is about 33.

What was the warranty issue- the problem about crooked holes where the shock attaches?

What did you think about the stumpy evo?

FL
Posted: Dec 4, 2022 at 15:24 Quote
haji1974 wrote:
Cool- it’s interesting to hear what you think about different bikes.
I thought about a carbon alpine trail but it’s about 2k more. I can afford it but I found a good deal on an XR. I like the coil on my E2. Also I want to try out an aluminum bike.
Seems like the XR is about 37 lbs?
And the carbon alpine trail is about 33.

What was the warranty issue- the problem about crooked holes where the shock attaches?

What did you think about the stumpy evo?

correct, Wonky Hole on the non drive side, caused suspension bind on the rocker and made it hard as to get shock in and out - I believe this has been rectified.

The stumpy was interesting, I rode it in full 29 and WRP linked mullet.
I never Felt like i Could get it to do "everything well" despite lots of suspension and Adjustments, as a heavier rider the light tune also wasnt suitable - had to run .8(nearly max) spacer in the shock to stop it from bottoming out, Then to get any support while Pushing hard had to run low sag(high pressure)

in the end - It ended up rough as if i wanted support and control, I managed to ride a EXT equipped Stumpy EVO, better bottom out control but it was still soft and was kinda weird to ride as ride height was a weird feeling.
I've also just recently rode a Cascade linked EVO and its way easier to setup - Initial Bumps are less "jarring" good support though the middle stroke and a smooth hit to the bottom out.

The way the EVO is designed it needs more progression - The Alpine has less progression but uses a much lower Leverage ratio(i believe 2.3ish) with more Anti squat so has some Support through Drivetrain bind(similar to how Commencal achieve support with a linear design)

The EVO has Really good balance though and doesnt require a heap of movement to get it to move around and weight each end - I couldve done with a little more reach to open the bike up but the next size bike was to big.

The Evo Experience is why i went back to a spectral with 30% progression, Stock setup, Set air pressure around 30% and just go ride the heck out of it, small bump compliance and will take the big hits/flat landings with smooothness.

And for reference NZ is getting Alpine Frames in alloy & Carbon soon so will pick one up and equip with the new 2023 rockshox coil with HBO.

Posted: Dec 5, 2022 at 19:02 Quote
FWIW the Alpine Trail carbon frames are in stock at Marin in all sizes. At $2349 it's a steal. Contact your local shop and have them order you one.

FL
Posted: Dec 8, 2022 at 12:18 Quote
Cracked the stock rear rim at the end of the summer. To be expected.

Been running a mullet setup since the start of fall. To be honest, not sure if I'll go back to F&R 29's. The shorter chainstay with the smaller rear wheel is a load of fun times. BB height is a bit of an issue obviously, so will likely be replacing cranks with something shorter. Anyone else have experience running mullet on the XR?

O+
Posted: Jan 31, 2023 at 7:33 Quote
Has anyone here swapped the rear coil for an air shock?

Posted: Jan 31, 2023 at 11:06 Quote
Atlmark wrote:
Has anyone here swapped the rear coil for an air shock?

I rode an AT8 with an air shock before swapping it to coil. I have that coil on my AT Carbon. These bikes are really progressive so they lend themselves to coils quite well. That said if you wanted to make it a slightly faster climber and were willing to invest in a top quality air spring you would probably enjoy it.

It really depends on what you are trying to achieve I suppose.

Posted: Feb 1, 2023 at 7:51 Quote
If you stick a long dropper like 210 or bigger in the alpine trail is it sticking out a bit or will it fit all the way in?
I have the alpine trail E2 and it has a a straight seat post so a 200 dropper fits all the way in.
I noticed the alpine trail xr has a curved seat post so the dropper might stick out.

Posted: Feb 1, 2023 at 11:54 Quote
haji1974 wrote:
If you stick a long dropper like 210 or bigger in the alpine trail is it sticking out a bit or will it fit all the way in?
I have the alpine trail E2 and it has a a straight seat post so a 200 dropper fits all the way in.
I noticed the alpine trail xr has a curved seat post so the dropper might stick out.

That depends a lot on what size frame you're on.

Posted: Feb 9, 2023 at 8:53 Quote
I meant for a size large or XL

Posted: Feb 10, 2023 at 7:20 Quote
Anyone have a medium and carrying a water bottle on the mounts? Read in a review that anything other than L and XL can't carry a bottle, seems wild. Will be a major deciding factor for me!

Cheers

Posted: Feb 10, 2023 at 10:36 Quote
Marc2204 wrote:
Anyone have a medium and carrying a water bottle on the mounts? Read in a review that anything other than L and XL can't carry a bottle, seems wild. Will be a major deciding factor for me!

Cheers

I have the medium AT7 so should be the same basically. I have the Lezyne Flow side loading cage and was only able to fit Camelback's Podium Dirt series 21 oz bottle. It measures 8.3" in length. It still rubs on the bottom of the toptube when loading/unloading it, so had to put a piece of protective tape there. Other Camelback 21oz or 24oz bottles measuring more than 8.3" in length probably won't fit. I did not try any other combination of cages and bottles, maybe there are some others that will fit as well.

Posted: Feb 10, 2023 at 12:15 Quote
haji1974 wrote:
I meant for a size large or XL

Per a friend who rides an XL the OneUp V2 210 will bottom so at least 297mm insertion.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.011216
Mobile Version of Website