Alpine Trail XR

PB Forum :: Marin Bikes
Alpine Trail XR
Posted: Feb 12, 2023 at 5:20 Quote
What size of bikes are people around 5'9" riding? I'm torn between M and L.

Currently on a L megatower that is giving me serious back pain on any steep climb, as the STA is way too slack. Tempted by the medium as I think it'll be fun and playful, as well as a half decent climber. Worried the L will be a bit of a boat in some of the tight stuff we have over here.

Any input appreciated!

FL
Posted: Feb 12, 2023 at 9:11 Quote
Marc2204 wrote:

Currently on a L megatower that is giving me serious back pain on any steep climb, as the STA is way too slack. Tempted by the medium as I think it'll be fun and playful, as well as a half decent climber. Worried the L will be a bit of a boat in some of the tight stuff we have over here.

Any input appreciated!

at 5'9 a large in any brand is to big for you. the ETT is to long i think and not the slack seat tube thats the issue of pain.

Posted: Feb 12, 2023 at 10:36 Quote
HeatedRotor wrote:
Marc2204 wrote:

Any input appreciated!

at 5'9 a large in any brand is to big for you. the ETT is to long i think and not the slack seat tube thats the issue of pain.

Agreed! I guess the longer ETT is a direct result of the slack seat angle? Steeper STA smaller ETT?

Looks like a medium may be the way forward

FL
Posted: Feb 12, 2023 at 10:54 Quote
Marc2204 wrote:
HeatedRotor wrote:
Marc2204 wrote:

Any input appreciated!

Agreed! I guess the longer ETT is a direct result of the slack seat angle? Steeper STA smaller ETT?

Looks like a medium may be the way forward

Depends how you look at it, brands like trek with the slash, deliberately Have a Slacker STA, so when you have it down its actually pushed forwards and out of the way.

Medium would be spot on for the modern Alpine Trail's

Posted: Apr 12, 2023 at 15:03 Quote
Hi everyone, has anyone replaced the Gradient Chainring? Is there other option to the Gradient that is compatible with cranks of the XR?

Posted: Apr 13, 2023 at 6:17 Quote
Rucaryl wrote:
Hi everyone, has anyone replaced the Gradient Chainring? Is there other option to the Gradient that is compatible with cranks of the XR?

Yeah I put an absolute black oval on mine. The FSA mount is the same as the Cannondale direct mount option.

Posted: Jun 5, 2023 at 23:56 Quote
Venturebikes wrote:
Cracked the stock rear rim at the end of the summer. To be expected.

Been running a mullet setup since the start of fall. To be honest, not sure if I'll go back to F&R 29's. The shorter chainstay with the smaller rear wheel is a load of fun times. BB height is a bit of an issue obviously, so will likely be replacing cranks with something shorter. Anyone else have experience running mullet on the XR?

anyone have experience running mullet on XR? thinking to convert into mullet

FL
Posted: Jun 6, 2023 at 2:06 Quote
ajimzz wrote:
Venturebikes wrote:

Been running a mullet setup since the start of fall. To be honest, not sure if I'll go back to F&R 29's. The shorter chainstay with the smaller rear wheel is a load of fun times. BB height is a bit of an issue obviously, so will likely be replacing cranks with something shorter. Anyone else have experience running mullet on the XR?

offset shock bushings will help.

FL
Posted: Jun 6, 2023 at 8:38 Quote
ajimzz wrote:
Venturebikes wrote:

I’ve actually since walked back a bit on this statement. Everything was great riding dirt jumps and flow but once I moved back to Quebec and got back into the heavy rock gardens and anti-flow, BB height was a considerable issue. I emailed the Marin rep about it and he recommended if I did run mullet I jump to a 170mm fork. To be honest, I don’t have the disposable income to replace a fork just for that extra 10mm and I can only afford one solid rear wheel setup at the moment so I’ll be back to 29F&R for the foreseeable future.

TLDR: mullet good for jump, bad for heavy tech. Consider 170mm fork, definitely invest in short cranks, and bombproof bash guard

O+
Posted: Aug 28, 2023 at 13:12 Quote
Rucaryl wrote:
super late response but Wolftooth makes a CAMO spyder that will fit

Posted: Oct 2, 2023 at 11:59 Quote
Did someone say Mullet?

O+
Posted: Dec 6, 2023 at 16:22 Quote
I'm posting this here since the Trail XR's are equipped with the Rock Shox deluxe coil - recently had a shock service done and now my rear shock has a metallic clank. Took it back to the shop and they said they went through it again and couldn't find anything wrong and handed my bike back to me (different issue I'll take up with the shop once I figure out the problem.)
I'm wondering if anyone has had a similar issue with either the shock or the frame - it sounds metal on metal like the upper rocker linkage is hitting the frame but it's not.

Posted: Dec 6, 2023 at 22:42 Quote
Atlmark wrote:
I'm posting this here since the Trail XR's are equipped with the Rock Shox deluxe coil - recently had a shock service done and now my rear shock has a metallic clank. Took it back to the shop and they said they went through it again and couldn't find anything wrong and handed my bike back to me (different issue I'll take up with the shop once I figure out the problem.)
I'm wondering if anyone has had a similar issue with either the shock or the frame - it sounds metal on metal like the upper rocker linkage is hitting the frame but it's not.

We had a customer with a damaged damper shaft on an AT XR. Apparently the trunion mount seen commonly these days puts a lot of stress on the shaft. This could be what you are hearing. They may not have gotten all the way to the point where the damper was out? Not sure just adding this to the convo.

FL
Posted: Dec 6, 2023 at 22:46 Quote
There was a batch of Frames with the holes for the Rocker pivot drilled wrong in the frame.

Posted: Dec 7, 2023 at 7:27 Quote
HeatedRotor wrote:
There was a batch of Frames with the holes for the Rocker pivot drilled wrong in the frame.

Actually the issue on those was with the rocker itself. Any Marin dealer can assess and replace the rocker if defective

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.009130
Mobile Version of Website