Alternatives to the 11-Speed SRAM 10-42T Cassette

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Alternatives to the 11-Speed SRAM 10-42T Cassette
  • Previous Page
O+
Posted: Oct 12, 2020 at 9:30 Quote
I submitted this question to the mechanics lounge, and dont know how to delete here. Sorry im new.

I want to replace my 11-Speed SRAM XG 1150 cassette 10-42T.

No clue, but have ruined 2 of those. Ready to move on to something more durable. Maybe not so drilled out sitting on those easily bendable pins.

I saw that Sunrace makes a steel cassette, but they don’t indicate if it will fit on XD Drivers. I’m new to this, so not sure if it is assumed that it always is an XD.

Any help or just a simple link of what to buy would be a god send at this point. Totally confused and frustrated.

Lastly.......does the replacement HAVE to be the same 10-42 spread? Or can it be say 11-42T and still work?

Thanks so much.

Posted: Oct 12, 2020 at 9:49 Quote
Something to consider is the 1150 up to 1195/99 are among if not (I believe) the lightest cassettes ever made for that given range, hence durability compromise.

If you currently have an 1150, you have an XD driver so you need an XD replacement cassette unless you buy an HG driver for your hub (if your hub has an HG option) to allow using the Sunrace.

Your cassette and derailleur, for the purpose of your last question, are separate. You can usually mate a cassette of x brand to a cassette of y brand as long as the number of gears is the same. The size of cassette a derailleur can accept is what's important, which is called "chain wrap capacity" or "tooth capacity". For 1x calculating capacity is easy: subtract your smallest tooth from the largest tooth. Without knowing, I assume you've got a Sram 11sp derailleur, either X01 or XX1, which has (expectedly) a capacity of 32 teeth.

So 11-42t (cap of 31) will work great, but going outside a max 32t range can get iffy, especially on a squisher.

O+
Posted: Oct 12, 2020 at 9:54 Quote
OMG thank you.

So that XG1150 is certainly light, but jeeeez it doesn’t take much to mess them up. That said i am in rock gardens of Texas, so even moderate trails are pretty hard on the gear.

I’ll have to read up on HG. Thanks. Mine is an XD Driver and using a SRAM GX mech.

Posted: Oct 12, 2020 at 10:05 Quote
HG (Hyperglide) is just the old style 11t min gear Shimano driver that pretty much everyone used in the MTB world until XD dropped.

XD has always been an option so to speak so there aren't many hubs that support XD that don't also have an HG alternative. Without knowing what hubs you've got I bargain you could buy an HG driver for your wheels; just a few extra bucks to spend but probably a lot less than another 1150 or 1195!

ETA: people also call HG driver bodies "Shimano/Sram" so if you see that, they're the same thing

O+
Posted: Oct 12, 2020 at 10:18 Quote
I have Specialized’s own “STOUT” hubs. No clue what they are.

They’re in great shape, so I’de love to ultimately keep, but switch to a Shimano cassette and shifter/derailleur. If possible.

My Giant Trance 2 has just plain ol’ SLX and a 11-42 Shimano cassette and ive has ZERO problems. I’de love to just slap that on my wife’s Occam.

Do i owe you money for this? Ha!!!!! OMG you have already answered a mountain of confusion!!!!

O+
Posted: Oct 12, 2020 at 10:35 Quote
Not sure if you are set on 42T, but you can also go up to 46T lowest gear cog without needing to change or adapt the rear derailleur. e*thirteen and Garbaruk are two reputable companies that make such cassettes... If you decide to go u to 48, 50, 52, etc., you will need a different cage or derailleur hanger extender to keep the pulleys & chain farther out from the cogs.

O+
Posted: Oct 12, 2020 at 10:40 Quote
At this point i am willing to do ANYTHING except buy another XG 1150 cassette. So i am open ears!!

I’ll peep the e*thirteen cassette. So up to 46 is cool with my current SRAM GX mech?

Posted: Oct 12, 2020 at 10:47 Quote
Knowledge is free, glad to help! The Stout hubs have come on Shimano config bikes over the years so there is almost certainly an HG driver body that would fit yours. Might be easiest to check in with your local shop to get a part number and either order from them or go fishing online if you end up going the Sunrace route.

Staktup wrote:
Not sure if you are set on 42T, but you can also go up to 46T lowest gear cog without needing to change or adapt the rear derailleur. e*thirteen and Garbaruk are two reputable companies that make such cassettes... If you decide to go u to 48, 50, 52, etc., you will need a different cage or derailleur hanger extender to keep the pulleys & chain farther out from the cogs.

Really crucial caveat to this, you can exceed the capacity of most derailleurs but you can also run into issues very quickly on full suspension bikes where chain growth between suspension designs can work against you. Extreme example but on a particular DH bike I setup for pedaling I could barely get a 42t capacity derailleur to work with a 36t cassette due to this interaction. Always best to stick near manufacture recommendations unless you really want to tinker and accept that things might not work.

O+
Posted: Oct 12, 2020 at 11:02 Quote
Ahh thats right. I just cut my new chain to fit the 42, so probably gonna just stay put on that big cog.

O+
Posted: Oct 12, 2020 at 11:07 Quote
My LBS is so busy they literally stopped answering phones.

So.....your suggestion on doing the HG conversion seems appealing at this point.

Posted: Oct 12, 2020 at 11:16 Quote
I have a similar drivetrain and went from the 1150 to XG-1175 (10-42). It works well, is pretty cheap (around 120€ here in germany), relatively light (325g) and offer enough range for me with a 30t chainring (and I am living in the black forest, steep climbs are common). I inquired a lot, never found a better compromise in 11 speed. I have a similar setup on 3 bikes now in total (with the girlfriend's one), and had no issue over the last two years.

O+
Posted: Oct 12, 2020 at 11:16 Quote
Seems my options are the e*thirteen cassette or the HG conversion at this point. Right?

Nobody just makes a replacement that will pop right on.

Posted: Oct 12, 2020 at 11:28 Quote
I purchased the 1175 for my recent build, had xx1 eagle on pevious bike, realised I don't need a 50t cog, don't want to pay £400 every time cassette wears out, don't see the point in 12 gears and wanted something lighter than eagle for low unsprung mass. Like you I was limited to XD cassettes unless I change the freehub so for low weight and good price with all the range I want xg1175 was bang on the money. It can be found online from certain retailers for not much more than the 1150 but weighs 50 grams less than xx1 eagle.

Posted: Oct 12, 2020 at 11:32 Quote
Sunrace has a xd compatible cassette it's a 10-46 (most of the time xd cassette will have a 10 teeth cog)

O+
Posted: Oct 12, 2020 at 11:32 Quote
Well you’re at least all confirming the sorta dead end i was feeling. I woulda thought i had a lot of choices.

My simple SLX Shimano 7000 series drivetrain is supposedly inferior and cheaper, and yet i have never had one hiccup with it. This SRAM XG1150 rig has always fought me. Dunno.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.065071
Mobile Version of Website