Alternatives to the 11-Speed SRAM 10-42T Cassette

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Alternatives to the 11-Speed SRAM 10-42T Cassette
O+
Posted: Oct 12, 2020 at 11:34 Quote
shaked wrote:
Sunrace has a xd compatible cassette it's a 10-46 (most of the time xd cassette will have a 10 teeth cog)

I think we talked about this earlier but it needs to have an HG conversion??

Posted: Oct 12, 2020 at 11:43 Quote
You only need the HG driver if you want to use the Sunrace 11-42 cassette. The 10-46 XD one would probably work, but you would need a longer chain and you would need to test the config through the whole suspension range to ensure nothing binds up in the big gear due to chain growth. Not hard to do, just takes a measure five times, cut the chain once approach.

e13 is a great XD compatible alternative but you'll find durability on par with the SRAM cassettes, speaking from experience with both

O+
Posted: Oct 12, 2020 at 11:52 Quote
Ok executive decision time......y’all have been amazing btw!!!!!

I am doing what was talked about earlier:

Take out my XD Driver, put in an HG Driver

Then be free to just buy say a 7000 series Shimano cassette thats on my other bike which has been bulletproof.

Buy an SLX or XT derailleur/ shifter.

Did i get that right? Is this achievable?

Posted: Oct 12, 2020 at 12:00 Quote
Well yea there is that new e13 11 speed helix cassette coming out soon that looks decent, but again weighs more than an 1175 or 1195, costs over 2x the cost of the 1175 and has a pointless 50+ cog still. Basically if you have 11 speed and an xd freehub you're only lightweight choices are the two Sram ones mentioned above, everything else including 12 speed is heavier though some options are cheaper. If you had a hg driver you would have more options. All these massive range 12 speed cassettes really piss me off, yes 1 x is better than having a front derailleur, but in the process they are now adding a ton of extra weight to the rear wheel affecting both
suspension and inertia of the rear wheel. Spend tbousands on some fancy carbon lightweight wheels then the next year they add 100 grams to the drivetrain by adding an extra gear, a bigger granny ring and a big ass sloppy derailleur. Only reason I haven't gone back to 9 or 10 speed even is a carbon ti freehub in HG to fit my rear hub is £100, and I feel mugged off having to pay that for what in theory although imo is better 'old technology' that may stop being produced in a couple of years.

Posted: Oct 12, 2020 at 12:02 Quote
That will work! The hardest part--and likely not that hard--will be finding a Stout HG hub body since its OE stuff, but I expect also since its OE stuff you could source one through your LBS

For what its worth, I've run Shimano cassettes with SRAM shift/der and vice versa. Probably no reason to buy a new derailleur and shifter unless you're upsizing the cassette.

If you are upsizing, might be worth starting with trying the Sunrace 10-46 XD cassette with a new chain since that will be less $$$ upfront and just a derailleur and shifter away if your current GX won't work with a cassette that big.

O+
Posted: Oct 12, 2020 at 12:15 Quote
This is my wife’s bike. So I’m not totally concerned with shaving grams or going up to a 46 or what have ya. My only motivation is i don’t wanna buy this crap again and need it to shift perfectly. The XG1150 bends sooooo easily its a joke. But i rode it for 2 years no problems. Put her on it? Boom......replacing crap.

That actually seems it could be a problem. OEM HG Driver for Stout hubs. Hmmmm.

Wow.......i need some asprin peeps. Thank you SO much for engaging. But holy crap i need to come up for air.

Posted: Oct 12, 2020 at 12:18 Quote
If it's your misses bike, I would just fk off the xd hub and fit 11 speed deore or slx, tbh 11 speed slx shifts really nice.

O+
Posted: Oct 12, 2020 at 12:18 Quote
What about the Sunrace CSMS8 EAY 11-42T ?

I just found this googling.

O+
Posted: Oct 12, 2020 at 12:21 Quote
Danzzz88 wrote:
If it's your misses bike, I would just fk off the xd hub and fit 11 speed deore or slx, tbh 11 speed slx shifts really nice.

I have this currently on my Giant Trance 2 and i have ZERO issues with it. NONE.

But i cant just “fit 11 speed deore or slx” on there i thought. I have an XD Driver.

Posted: Oct 12, 2020 at 12:33 Quote
What are the make and model hubs, can you get a different freehub?

O+
Posted: Oct 12, 2020 at 15:32 Quote
You all have been an amazing help, on what i would consider as a pretty confusing topic. Thanks!!!!!

One last question, if i wanted to keep my SRAM GX 11-speed derailleur, could i swap out my hand shifter to say a Shimano SLX ?

Posted: Oct 12, 2020 at 15:49 Quote
Markhat250 wrote:
You all have been an amazing help, on what i would consider as a pretty confusing topic. Thanks!!!!!

One last question, if i wanted to keep my SRAM GX 11-speed derailleur, could i swap out my hand shifter to say a Shimano SLX ?

Yes as long as it is still 11 speed obvs. Shimano and Sram say it doesn't work bit it does in reality.

Posted: Oct 12, 2020 at 16:16 Quote
Negative. The cable actuation ratios are NOT the same between Shimano and Sram. I've been wrong plenty but I have never seen this work with 11sp parts!

O+
Posted: Oct 12, 2020 at 17:00 Quote
Ok. Gonna be safe and just go Shimano 11-speed. Derail&shift.

Posted: Oct 13, 2020 at 1:24 Quote
I don't get it. You could have just tried a xg 1175 first. Now you are about to change everything for little to no improvement compared to a sram gx 11 speed drivetrain.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.012476
Mobile Version of Website