Drivetrain dilemma... slx vs gx?

PB Forum :: Beginners
Drivetrain dilemma... slx vs gx?
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Oct 12, 2020 at 16:52 Quote
I’m sure this has been posted and I feel like I’ve read them all! I’ve watched videos and read reviews enough to know that it mostly personal preference! But I’m looking to upgrade my SRAM sx to either a gx or Shimano slx w/ xt shifter! The crappy part is I’ve gotta buy a new wheel set to support the microspline! So, those who have ridden both, is it worth the $600+ I’m gonna invest in wheels/drivetrain/freehub to switch to the slx? Or should I just get a gx derailleur and new shifter?? Also I could try the sun race cassette with the slx! Any feedback is appreciated! I’m currently going through the paralysis by analyses phase!!!

Posted: Oct 14, 2020 at 9:07 Quote
If you have an SX cassette fitted currently then your rear hub has a standard Shimano freehub. There are also other 12 speed cassettes that will work with you current freehub e.g. Sram NX or Sunrace so you would only need a Microspline if you want to use a Shimano 12 speed cassette.

You can keep using the SX cassette and just buy a GX derailleur and replace the SX.

You could buy a new SLX/XT Shimano derailleur and shifter which will also work with the SX cassette. I recently read that apparently a 12 speed XTR derailleur will work with Sram shifter but I've never tried it.

My preference is for Shimano derailleur and shifter which I use with a Sunrace cassette (11 speed) and works perfectly well together. As you said it's probably down to personal preference and up to you to decide which brand you would prefer to use.

Posted: Oct 15, 2020 at 22:26 Quote
Agree with above for the most part.

The advantages of shimano 12 is negated if you don't use their cassette. Apparently the shifting is next to none, but I don't think any shifting is worth upgrading everything you would need to unless you are just that flush, which I assume you are not given that we are debating gx and slx. I'd just upgrade the shifter and derailleur to gx unless you are really worried about the extra grams on a sx cassette, which I assume you are not given that you are looking at six and gx.
I havent ridden the sx stuff but I've heard it doesn't work as well as the gx bits. I have ridden gx, which works perfectly.

Posted: Oct 16, 2020 at 10:48 Quote
Upgraded from SX to GX derailleur and shifter, works beautifully. Kept the SX cassette and cranks to keep costs down, and works extremely well as it is now.

Posted: Oct 20, 2020 at 6:00 Quote
I have slx 11, xt 11, and gx 12. I just swapped back to gx from xt cause I like the feel better on gx. I have shimano hg, so I'm using an nx cassette. My wife prefers the xt 11. None of the kids could care less. It really is down to personal preference between these. I chose shimano hg driver on my bike so all our bikes (6) have cross compatible parts. Otherwise, I'd already be on xd driver and xx1.

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.005064
Mobile Version of Website