Dh clip pedals

PB Forum :: Downhill
Dh clip pedals
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
O+
Posted: Oct 12, 2020 at 18:40 Quote
Looking for a new pearls for my dh bike having mallet dh right now and looking for something around 400gr and under with somewhat a good platform ht d1 comes to mind but not sure about the flat/clip thing. Just wonder if I miss any lightweight option other than ht x2 or mallet e.

Posted: Oct 12, 2020 at 19:18 Quote
The single-sided pedal concept stays alive because it sounds like the best of both worlds - at least a decent sampling of both - but it's the worst of both worlds:

• Require cleated shoes, which have terrible traction, compared to a dedicated flat pedal shoe.
• If you ever unclip, you have a 50-50 chance of not being able to clip in again.
• If you find yourself unclipped on the clip side, traction is nowhere near as good as on a dedicated flat pedal - and then there's the issue of the shoe.

The only decent applications for single-sided pedals are commuter bikes that may be used with or without cleated shoes and touring bikes that would leave the ride in a difficult situation if the mechanism or shoe failed.

I've herd Shimano's Saint M820 has a good platform. Considerably over 400 g, though.

The HT X2 is the double-sided version of the D1. It's a little over your weight criterion, but has a good platform. The pins are quite prominent, though, and some prefer shorter pins, illustrating another problem with trying to have the best of both.

I haven't tried HT pedals. Of the pedals I've used, I like the entry, retention, and exit feel of Time's DH and MX series. Stack height could be lower and the platform isn't great, but the clip functionality is outstanding.

O+
Posted: Oct 12, 2020 at 20:47 Quote
Yeah I think one sided clip is for different shoes type of riding but since I dont really unclip while riding it could be an option but also could be a pain. To try to fit my weight limit the mallet e with titanium spindle might be my only option as I dont want to go to small of a platform and used to the crank brother feel. Just curious if I missing other pedlar other. Thanks for the input.

O+
Posted: Oct 13, 2020 at 12:37 Quote
R-M-R wrote:
The single-sided pedal concept stays alive because it sounds like the best of both worlds - at least a decent sampling of both - but it's the worst of both worlds:

• Require cleated shoes, which have terrible traction, compared to a dedicated flat pedal shoe.
• If you ever unclip, you have a 50-50 chance of not being able to clip in again.
• If you find yourself unclipped on the clip side, traction is nowhere near as good as on a dedicated flat pedal - and then there's the issue of the shoe.

The only decent applications for single-sided pedals are commuter bikes that may be used with or without cleated shoes and touring bikes that would leave the ride in a difficult situation if the mechanism or shoe failed.

I've herd Shimano's Saint M820 has a good platform. Considerably over 400 g, though.

The HT X2 is the double-sided version of the D1. It's a little over your weight criterion, but has a good platform. The pins are quite prominent, though, and some prefer shorter pins, illustrating another problem with trying to have the best of both.

I haven't tried HT pedals. Of the pedals I've used, I like the entry, retention, and exit feel of Time's DH and MX series. Stack height could be lower and the platform isn't great, but the clip functionality is outstanding.

Looking at the mx8 and it looks like a good pedal, similar platform than the mallet e I think. Is the clip feels more like crank brother than shimano that could be best of both world for me feel o crank brother with adjustable tension.

Posted: Oct 13, 2020 at 22:03 Quote
Yes, much more like the Crank Brothers than Shimano - maybe even farther in that direction than Crank Brothers.

Shimano has several degrees of free float, then a hard stop and little elasticity during the release - more of a click and suddenly you're out. Time has a small amount of free float, then a gradual build-up of force until the release.

When I used to ride a lot of DH, I simply couldn't feel safe with Shimano: maximum tension and I'd still have unintended releases when things got rowdy. Not a single unintended release with Time. Takes a more deliberate action to intentionally release, mind you, but that's the inevitable trade-off.

I strongly recommend mounting Time cleats in the 13° release position, rather than the 17°. When the cleats are worn and starting to release too easily, switch them to the opposite feet and the formerly 17° release angle will be around 13°, prolonging life of the cleats.

O+
Posted: Oct 17, 2020 at 18:09 Quote
How the platform of the time mx feels compare to mallet e or dh? Does it feel as safe and connected to the pedals as mallet? I dont use spd on my dh bike for the same reason dont feel comfortable and safe with them. Love my mallet dh but if I can get similar feeling without the weight that will be great. Thanks for the input.

Posted: Oct 17, 2020 at 18:47 Quote
Haven't used the Mallet DH, so can't say with certainty. Probably not as secure when unclipped, as the platform is smaller and there are no pins.

All clip-in pedals and shoes are pretty awful when unclipped, compared to good platform pedals and shoes.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.010101
Mobile Version of Website