Is a large transition PBJ going to fit me?

PB Forum :: Dirt Jumping & Street
Is a large transition PBJ going to fit me?
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Oct 16, 2020 at 1:15 Quote
I'm 5'8" or 172cm, considering buying a Large transition PBJ tomorrow from Craigslist. First time DJ buyer. My mtb is a M so the L makes me a bit nervous. I want something small and light enough to whip around and use to learn to bunny hop and use dirt jumps.

Transition's size options are like so:
SHORT LONG X-LONG
REACH 415 440 465

Even the short frame is larger than most one-size frames which are usually between 390-410mm from my research.

For example there's a 30mm difference between the Large PBJ and the one-size TWO6PLAYER pump from dartmoor.

Is that 30mm / 1.18” difference worth fussing about, will the large be too big to improve my skills on? Any help or advice is appreciated. Thanks!

Posted: Oct 16, 2020 at 8:47 Quote
I am 5"9 and i have a long pbj. The long frame is going to be much easier to bunny hop, whip and throw around compared to your mtb.

Posted: Oct 18, 2020 at 11:11 Quote
cobulon wrote:
I'm 5'8" or 172cm, considering buying a Large transition PBJ tomorrow from Craigslist. First time DJ buyer. My mtb is a M so the L makes me a bit nervous. I want something small and light enough to whip around and use to learn to bunny hop and use dirt jumps.

SHORT LONG X-LONG
REACH 415 440 465

Even the short frame is larger than most one-size frames which are usually between 390-410mm from my research.

For example there's a 30mm difference between the Large PBJ and the one-size TWO6PLAYER pump from dartmoor.

Is that 30mm / 1.18” difference worth fussing about, will the large be too big to improve my skills on? Any help or advice is appreciated. Thanks!

I think you should go for a shorter reach frame.

What medium MTB do you have?

Posted: Oct 18, 2020 at 12:55 Quote
Wow, frame size preference is such a personal thing. Especially if you’re going to have just one bike.
I’d say if you’re doing more tech, street style or complicated tricks get a smaller frame. But if you’re into bigger jumps, more speed based trails get a large frame.
That being said I’m 5’9” and ride bigger jumps mostly and prefer a longer top tube frame. That’s not to say I don’t also enjoy riding my 24” dirt jumpers that are obviously shorter. Just a different vibe and feel.
Can you ride a friends bike that’s different to what you’re currently used to, to help?

Posted: Oct 21, 2020 at 16:25 Quote
cmc4130 wrote:
cobulon wrote:

SHORT LONG X-LONG
REACH 415 440 465

I think you should go for a shorter reach frame.

What medium MTB do you have?

I didn't end up buying it. I don't know exactly what geometry I want but I know I don't want it to be longer than my Medium mtb. I currently ride the Tokul II hardtail from raleigh. I've been riding it at the nearby jump park. Am I correct to think a DJ will do much better at the park? I get hit in the ass by my seat all the time on the small jumps. My friends (who only MTB) think I should improve my skills on the MTB before buying a DJ. I feel like I'm just in the wrong bike for what I'm doing. Thoughts?

Posted: Oct 21, 2020 at 16:28 Quote
bikebike69 wrote:
Wow, frame size preference is such a personal thing. Especially if you’re going to have just one bike.
I’d say if you’re doing more tech, street style or complicated tricks get a smaller frame. But if you’re into bigger jumps, more speed based trails get a large frame.
That being said I’m 5’9” and ride bigger jumps mostly and prefer a longer top tube frame. That’s not to say I don’t also enjoy riding my 24” dirt jumpers that are obviously shorter. Just a different vibe and feel.
Can you ride a friends bike that’s different to what you’re currently used to, to help?

That's really helpful thanks. I'll mainly be riding the park near my house which is mostly spines but nothing very high speed. Unfortunately no my friends only have MTBs.

Posted: Oct 21, 2020 at 16:39 Quote
cobulon wrote:
I didn't end up buying it. I don't know exactly what geometry I want but I know I don't want it to be longer than my Medium mtb. I currently ride the Tokul II hardtail from raleigh. I've been riding it at the nearby jump park. Am I correct to think a DJ will do much better at the park? I get hit in the ass by my seat all the time on the small jumps. My friends (who only MTB) think I should improve my skills on the MTB before buying a DJ. I feel like I'm just in the wrong bike for what I'm doing. Thoughts?

Do you have this one or a previous year model? How tall is the seat tube on your bike?

https://www.raleighusa.com/mountain/hardtail/tokul2-r144

But, to answer your question, yes a DJ-specific bike with 26" wheels will definitely feel more suited for jumping than a regular hardtail trail bike.

Posted: 1 days ago Quote
That would have been a perfect fit if your used to a mtn bike. HT mtn bikes are typical a good bit longer reach than DJ's are. My buddies kid(5'8") went from a short PBJ to a long Shonky and says it feels much better and his riding got much better almost over night.

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.005875
Mobile Version of Website