170mm travel for MD, VA riding too much?

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
170mm travel for MD, VA riding too much?
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Oct 16, 2020 at 13:06 Quote
I'm looking to get a new AM full-sus soon. I was wondering if I could get some input from riders in the area as to whether or not 170mm is too much travel (front fork) for the type of riding we have.

TIA

Posted: Oct 16, 2020 at 21:12 Quote
Where in MD and VA? What wheel size?A lot of places 120 is plenty. I tend to ride in the chunky places with 160mm and tend to only use 150mm of it.

Posted: Oct 17, 2020 at 16:50 Quote
Cerberus75 wrote:
Where in MD and VA? What wheel size?A lot of places 120 is plenty. I tend to ride in the chunky places with 160mm and tend to only use 150mm of it.

So ideally we're talking about the SHED, Patapsco and fountainhead. Im open to 27.5 and 29er.

Posted: Oct 17, 2020 at 17:27 Quote
mannymtnbk wrote:
Cerberus75 wrote:

So ideally we're talking about the SHED, Patapsco and fountainhead. Im open to 27.5 and 29er.
I’ve been to Fountainhead, only thing I think you would need the travel for is a couple drops and maybe for more traction. I did it on a 27.5 130/140 trail bike and was fine.

Posted: Oct 17, 2020 at 18:38 Quote
cool that's good to know. What bike where u riding?
dhsender1234 wrote:
mannymtnbk wrote:
Cerberus75 wrote:

I’ve been to, Fountainhead only thing I think you would need the travel for is a couple drops and maybe for more traction. I did it on a 27.5 130/140 trail bike and was fine.

Posted: Oct 17, 2020 at 18:47 Quote
mannymtnbk wrote:
cool that's good to know. What bike where u riding?
dhsender1234 wrote:
mannymtnbk wrote:

I’ve been to, Fountainhead only thing I think you would need the travel for is a couple drops and maybe for more traction. I did it on a 27.5 130/140 trail bike and was fine.
A 2019 trek fuel ex

Posted: Oct 17, 2020 at 19:16 Quote
I thought the fuel ex was a 29er. Or are you riding a small?

Posted: Oct 17, 2020 at 19:33 Quote
mannymtnbk wrote:
Cerberus75 wrote:

There are parts of the Shed (that's my home trails) a 170mm 27.5 could be beneficial but not necessary. These bikes tend to get pretty long and cumbersome. Im on a overforked Canfield Riot, my wife is on a Wrekoning LB. Ptap and Fountainhead is 140mm tops IMHO. A decent mid travel bike would be best since you need to peddle it around. And get twisty with it. What bikes are you looking at? Killer deals on previous gen Konami Process and Transition Sentinels are out there. IBIS Ripmo is well loved in the area as well.

Posted: 3 days ago Quote
Cerberus75 wrote:
mannymtnbk wrote:
Cerberus75 wrote:

There are parts of the Shed (that's my home trails) a 170mm 27.5 could be beneficial but not necessary. These bikes tend to get pretty long and cumbersome. Im on a overforked Canfield Riot, my wife is on a Wrekoning LB. Ptap and Fountainhead is 140mm tops IMHO. A decent mid travel bike would be best since you need to peddle it around. And get twisty with it. What bikes are you looking at? Killer deals on previous gen Konami Process and Transition Sentinels are out there. IBIS Ripmo is well loved in the area as well.

Hey thanks for the response, that's definitely helpful information to have.

I was looking at the new remedy 8, I rode the 2020 for a day at a bike park and I loved it. The ripmo was mentioned but im not super into it tbh. I was looking at the sentinel, if I can find good deal on it. also have looked at trek Fuel ex's but I feel they're a bit underforked. looked at the Hightower and the Bronson. YT Jeffry in both 29er and 27.5, and also the 27.5 trance and the new trance X 29er

The new Trance X looks sweet. The new Hightower is nice as well. If you ride a lot of park and want one bike I don't think the Remedy will hold you back. It peddles well and the Geo is a bit conservative so it will move well in The Shed. It will make Ptap boring lol

My wallet really likes the idea of 1 do it all bike. The remedy is definitely on the shortlist as is the trance x. I personally like the idea of 27.5 being playful and full, I'd rather have the fun factor than simply blasting down a trail. I do worry that east coast riding, specifically in our area is better to suited for 29er's tho.

mannymtnbk wrote:
It is the plus version which is now discontinued so it had a 140 fork and 27.5+ instead of the 29inch 130 fork. The new models have 29 inch wheels with a 140 fork.

mannymtnbk wrote:
My wallet really likes the idea of 1 do it all bike. The remedy is definitely on the shortlist as is the trance x. I personally like the idea of 27.5 being playful and full, I'd rather have the fun factor than simply blasting down a trail. I do worry that east coast riding, specifically in our area is better to suited for 29er's tho.

I find short Wheelbase 29er to be fun but handle slow tech better. Most 27.5 bikes I've ridden aren't as playful as my Riot.

Posted: 1 days ago Quote
Thnx for the help, really appreciate your time

Posted: 12 hours ago Quote
mannymtnbk wrote:

there are Trek Fuel EX's that are 27.5

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.006008
Mobile Version of Website