How did this happen?

Previous Page |
Posted: Oct 17, 2020 at 3:08 Quote
Canyon Strive CF9.0 2020
Heeello shredders!
I need support from some less noob then myself :-)
After my last ride, while I was cleaning my beloved Strive CF, I noticed that there was quite a rubbing damage on the chainstay where the chainring is. Checking my older picture of the bike, i noticed that the damage was not yet there and it has to be happened during my last ride (20km flowy trail).
Just a note, The bike mounts a 1x11, and during the ride my chain never felt off.

Any good soul has an idea what could have happened?

Posted: Oct 17, 2020 at 6:11 Quote
A few pics would really help trying to diagnose this. Did a stick or something get caught there?

Posted: Oct 17, 2020 at 13:36 Quote
Chief2slo wrote:
A few pics would really help trying to diagnose this. Did a stick or something get caught there?
You‘re Right. I Hope i did upload it correctly.
I didn’t notice any stick or else...

Posted: Oct 17, 2020 at 14:34 Quote
Ouch! That’s crazy! No idea what that’s from but I don’t think it’s the chain! That’s a huge rub! Maybe maybe d/dirt/rocks caked up on the chainring? Hopefully someone else can help.

Posted: Oct 17, 2020 at 15:08 Quote
Chief2slo wrote:
Ouch! That’s crazy! No idea what that’s from but I don’t think it’s the chain! That’s a huge rub! Maybe maybe d/dirt/rocks caked up on the chainring? Hopefully someone else can help.
Yea...I think it’s hurting me more than the bike :-D
I’ll keep an eye on it, to really exclude something is loose and makes the chainring rub.

Posted: Oct 17, 2020 at 15:16 Quote
Some teeth on your chainring seem to have suffered a lot too... You did not feel anything? I would replace the chainring I think.

Posted: Oct 17, 2020 at 15:19 Quote
nordgren wrote:
Chief2slo wrote:
I’ll keep an eye on it, to really exclude something is loose and makes the chainring rub.

It looks like someone took sandpaper to it, which leads me to believe you had a muddy ride and it was brushing up against something over and over. Look at the clearance between your chain guide and that spot as your bike goes through it’s travel and the chain stays move up and around the chainring, I would bet that’s where the issue is.

Posted: Oct 17, 2020 at 16:01 Quote
TibZ wrote:
Some teeth on your chainring seem to have suffered a lot too... You did not feel anything? I would replace the chainring I think.
I will have a deeper look, but i think the ring is still in very good shape. in the picture was some greasy-sandy.mud :-)

Posted: Oct 17, 2020 at 16:03 Quote
Branmuffin wrote:
nordgren wrote:
Chief2slo wrote:

It looks like someone took sandpaper to it, which leads me to believe you had a muddy ride and it was brushing up against something over and over. Look at the clearance between your chain guide and that spot as your bike goes through it’s travel and the chain stays move up and around the chainring, I would bet that’s where the issue is.

I actually had a muddy ride indeed, raining since a few days...so that would make sense.

Posted: Oct 17, 2020 at 17:03 Quote
It appears that the cover plate that was on there has stripped off as well. As I see adhesive. I’d find a new cover plate as well.

Posted: Oct 17, 2020 at 21:21 Quote
Looks like chainsuck to me, which can cause some pretty insane damage (google chainsuck damage, you'll see).

Have you done any upgrades to the drive train or home wrenching? There are a few reasons outside wear and tear that you can develop chainsuck issues.

Posted: Oct 17, 2020 at 21:41 Quote
HaggeredShins wrote:
Looks like chainsuck to me, which can cause some pretty insane damage (google chainsuck damage, you'll see).

Have you done any upgrades to the drive train or home wrenching? There are a few reasons outside wear and tear that you can develop chainsuck issues.

I may be wrong but doesn’t chainsuck require multiple chainrings to happen? This is a 1x set up. Though I do agree the damage sure does look similar to a chainsuck issue.

Posted: Oct 17, 2020 at 21:58 Quote
Chain suck happens when the chain does not release off the chainring at the bottom and gets sucked up right where that damage is. On 1x systems it can happen with an old chainring if you put a new chain on or after cleaning everything. It also is made worse if the chain is not lubed or gets too grimy. It definitely happens more with multiple chainrings but I have had my 1x system try to do it when I leave my chainring on too long.

Posted: Oct 18, 2020 at 4:39 Quote
Petiloi wrote:
HaggeredShins wrote:

I may be wrong but doesn’t chainsuck require multiple chainrings to happen? This is a 1x set up. Though I do agree the damage sure does look similar to a chainsuck issue.
thank you so much for helping :-)
i'll exclude Chainstuck because (1) i would have noticed the chain falling off or getting stuck (2) if you check the image, the skratches really seem to go even bbehind the chainring, and are very thin and dense...chainstuck, in my experiance from my older bike, do more of a one (or few) deeper skrechtes / cuts.
i went again today on a local trail, which was totally muddy, and i'm starting to believe it was really just something which got stuck and i dind't notice. At every section i was checking and that part was soooo full of mud and leafs...

let me say something more..i'm so surprised of all the support i got! it's my first time in a forum, and it's awesome!! thank you all

Posted: Oct 18, 2020 at 5:04 Quote
I am not familiar with Canyon much but it does appear there is a guard in that spot that is missing from your bike. I would call Canyon and get a new one, probably just glued on. Also a pretty good indicator this is normal wear since they had to beef up that spot with additional protection.

Previous Page |

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.006499
Mobile Version of Website