Magura MT Thirty & MT sport brakes

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Magura MT Thirty & MT sport brakes
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Oct 17, 2020 at 17:44 Quote
Hi guys, I'm looking at upgrading my brakes on my MTB (coming from sram guide r). So far, Magura is looking like the best value because I got the alliance discount (40% off everything). I'm probably going to buy the MT5's because I've heard a lot of good things about them, but I also saw the MT Thirty. It looks like the MT Thirty is a cheaper version of the MT5, and the MT Trail is the cheaper version of the MT4. Looking these up online, there isn't many details or any reviews of the MT Thirty, except for one short youtube unboxing video. I saw one of the new Cube two15 models have the MT Thirty brakes on it, but that's all I've really seen.

If anyone has experience with the MT Thirty, is it worth to get it? Or should I just get the MT5's?

Thanks

Posted: Oct 17, 2020 at 17:47 Quote
Just get mt5's, they are already cheap without 40% off, why would you want to sacrifice performance to save even more money when you are getting them for peanuts anyway?

Posted: Oct 17, 2020 at 18:10 Quote
True, in total it would be about $45 dollars in savings to get the MT thirty. The MT5 has a lot more reviews and resources available.

Posted: Oct 17, 2020 at 22:05 Quote
I have a set of the MT trail sport as well as the Trail SL with the carbon lever.

I'm 220lbs and ride in BC. Don't need any more stopping power than either offers. Modulation is incredible.

Personally I'd go for the MT trail sports over the MT5 or MT 30's as I like the single finger lever way better and I don't really think you need the 4 pison out back. My 2 cents.

Posted: Oct 18, 2020 at 5:49 Quote
I want to know if there is a difference apart from coloyr between mt7 and mt5 callipers, there must be some other difference to explain the £40 price increase per calliper to have grey over black?

Posted: Oct 18, 2020 at 10:15 Quote
Danzzz88 wrote:
I want to know if there is a difference apart from coloyr between mt7 and mt5 callipers, there must be some other difference to explain the £40 price increase per calliper to have grey over black?
mt7 calipers are cnc'd mt5 are cast

Posted: Oct 18, 2020 at 11:34 Quote
adespotoskyli wrote:
Danzzz88 wrote:

I'm not sure that is true according to this link

https://www.google.com/amp/s/singletrackworld.com/2014/04/magura-2015-mt-brakes/%3famp

Also there seems to be a very slight redesign to the mt7 calliper this year but there is zero info about this on the net, it seems Magura likes to make changes and not inform anyone about them.

Posted: Oct 18, 2020 at 18:37 Quote
I have the MT Trail Sports on my bike and love them. Plenty of stoping power, sexy looks, great single finger levers, and awesome modulation. Price is right as well.

Posted: Oct 18, 2020 at 23:57 Quote
Can't speak to the mt7 vs mt5 but even though the trail sport and sl look identical except for colour the sl seems to be more powerful. And its not the brake pads as I have changed both since purchasing to run the same pads. It could be in my mind though....

Posted: Oct 19, 2020 at 4:17 Quote
Danzzz88 wrote:
adespotoskyli wrote:
Danzzz88 wrote:

I'm not sure that is true according to this link

https://www.google.com/amp/s/singletrackworld.com/2014/04/magura-2015-mt-brakes/%3famp

Also there seems to be a very slight redesign to the mt7 calliper this year but there is zero info about this on the net, it seems Magura likes to make changes and not inform anyone about them.

I run the mt7 and from a friends bike the mt5 caliper looks rough around the edges compared to the anodized mt7 caliper, but I might be wrong and the black just looks cheap to my eyes? If that's the case then you pay the extra for the bat that doesn't do shit and the reach toolfree adjustment that winds it self from vibrations. The only thing that actually makes a difference is the brake pads that come with the mt7, far better than the two piece pads the mt5 but can be bought when you going to change your pads anyway. The mt7 seem to be a bit lighter as well but don't know were the weight savings come from, about 40gr per side I thing. As far as the redesign not a clue, I'll check them out though

Posted: Oct 19, 2020 at 6:44 Quote
I have Magura across 4 bikes. Three sets of MT5 and a set of Trail Sports. When I had the Trail Sports on my big bike, I definitely noticed the lack of power from the rear caliper on long / steep descents. Now they're on a shorter bike, not an issue. MT5s are so cheap they're a no brainer for me.

I currently use the big levers on my main bike. They are absolutely fine for normal, one finger braking and give even more power due to the longer lever. If you're running shiftmix, they can make getting your dropper / gears in the right place more difficult. You can also buy the HC1 levers separately. They are easy to fit and do feel a bit nicer. I don't understand why Magura don't just give you the option for which levers you want.

The MT5s give amazing, consistent performance, even on very steep, very gnarly trails. 100% worth the money. I use uberbike pads, as the official ones are very expensive. So far, they've been great.

Posted: Oct 19, 2020 at 6:57 Quote
Nice, the MT Trail sport seems like a good set for general trail riders or xc racers who want more power. I ended up buying 2 MT5's, just based on reviews and stuff.

Previous Page | Next Page

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.005269
Mobile Version of Website