Anyone use anything to flush out and clean fork dampers and internals?

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Anyone use anything to flush out and clean fork dampers and internals?
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Oct 19, 2020 at 6:04 Quote
just serviced and changed travel on some old zocci 66RCs and one of the legs had that horrible contaminated grey oil. I want to flush it all out without taking the dampers fully to bits.

just flush out with oil?

flush out with white spirit?

Something else?

Thanks!

Posted: Oct 19, 2020 at 8:41 Quote
Maxima Suspension Clean is usually a good start.

Posted: Oct 19, 2020 at 12:01 Quote
Thankyou. you are are suggesting spraying a load in and cycling it through the open bath fork inc damper before draining it out?

Posted: Oct 19, 2020 at 12:11 Quote
Matthewsturner wrote:
Thankyou. you are are suggesting spraying a load in and cycling it through the open bath fork inc damper before draining it out?

I have only used it in lowers before. Drain the oil and spray from the seals down and it should clean everything out for you.

Posted: Oct 19, 2020 at 13:12 Quote
thanks might see if I can get hold of some in the uk

Posted: Oct 20, 2020 at 3:13 Quote
Dont flush your damper with a cleaning product, Only flush your damper with clean fork oil. Open bath dampers require a sacrificial oil change like an old car with a new oil filter.
New oil and a bit if cycling through the travel cleans out the damper, then you dump this and do a final fill with more fresh oil.

Posted: Oct 20, 2020 at 7:29 Quote
mountainjew you said it with conviction. I will follow!

Posted: Oct 20, 2020 at 8:35 Quote
Any high alcohol cleaner will work. Long rag on a long stick to scrub. Refill with oil, ride and replace a little earlier. The non anodized dampers will always make the oil look like that. The longer you wait the uglier it gets. Doesn't seem to effect performance much, just looks and smells nasty.

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.006053
Mobile Version of Website