Bottom Bracket Price Ranges

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Bottom Bracket Price Ranges
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Oct 21, 2020 at 6:12 Quote
As I put together my paper build, I keep coming back to wild price differences between BBs. For example, the Sram manufactured Dub BB and the Ceramic Speed Dub. The Sram MSRP is $43. The Ceramic Speed is literally an order of magnitude more expensive at $459. Is this a case of audiophile snakeoil or is the Ceramic Speed just that much better? I understand that materials and manufacturing process costs could force Ceramic Speed into a profit pickle, but do bicycle components really call for aerospace level precision?

Posted: Oct 21, 2020 at 7:27 Quote
IMHO, you can replace that sram bb once every year for 10 years and its still cheaper than the Ceramic Speed. I'm not trying to win any races, so the ultra low friction doesnt mean anything to me. If money is no object and everything else on your build is top notch, then go for it. Otherwise, I would use a budget friendly bb and put the money towards better wheels, suspension, drivetrain, brakes or beer.

Posted: Oct 21, 2020 at 10:36 Quote
Leave the $400 BB to those racing professionally and dentists that think saving a half watt is worth that price. Spend that money on things that matter like suspension or tires.

Just like everything in the bike world the ridiculously high end stuff is way more expensive but only slightly better.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.011808
Mobile Version of Website