The end of bent derailleur hangers?

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
The end of bent derailleur hangers?
| Next Page
Posted: Dec 4, 2020 at 10:37 Quote
Sayshell wrote:
leverfingers wrote:
There are already many different versions of the UDH. That little comic strip is bang on.

This is a pretty interesting thread, and that is not a bad idea. But it will be standard number 452 or something like that.

You can not stop engineers from coming up with a newer better idea. It's N+1 all the way to hell.

I don't see how more options are bad, do you wish there were only 1 kind of handlebar? Just 1 material, length, strength, geometry, color, weight etc??? This is not a new standard, it's just more options... A new standard would be forcing you to buy a special frame to run this. The design is specifically built so you DON'T have to change anything, and can keep all your old stuff. A lot of companies don't even make hangers for their own products after 10 or so years.
Another staandard just means more sales for ol' lever there seeing as he's north shore billet.
I Wish hangers where more like handle bars, One dimension where it attchs to the frame and other where the derailleur bolts on, each one is inter changeable with another.

Posted: Jun 3, 2022 at 7:31 Quote
Sayshell wrote:
mtbtrekracer wrote:
Why is this even up for discussion? Sram UDH. plastic and alloy.. and guess what.. cheap...Every bike should come with this hanger, let shimano use "UDH" aswell and everyones happy, especially customers.
It looks good but not so universal from what I am seeing. Do you need a thru axle to mount it? Being aluminum I also am skeptical it doesn't bend. It does look really short which is generally a good thing for strength.
Bent mine and happily the local bike shop has those on hand and simply replaced it. So does it bend? Yes. Is it readily available in instances like this, where the AXS actually bent it when shifting through and died. Very strange in my case where shifting through the gears rather quickly because of a quick rise caused the rear derailleur to bend the UDH and for some odd reason the controller died. Very weird, I’m sure I’m not the only one.

Posted: Aug 5, 2022 at 9:08 Quote
I just replaced a UDH and then I had to replace the new one because it's cheap and I'm an idiot. The torque spec of 25Nm is way overkill for a metal bolt that threads into plastic and it's easy to strip/jump threads.

I know this defeats the purpose but does anyone know if you can buy an all metal UDH?

Posted: Aug 5, 2022 at 10:57 Quote
illegalsmile wrote:
I just replaced a UDH and then I had to replace the new one because it's cheap and I'm an idiot. The torque spec of 25Nm is way overkill for a metal bolt that threads into plastic and it's easy to strip/jump threads.

I know this defeats the purpose but does anyone know if you can buy an all metal UDH?

Sounds like you may have installed it incorrectly - highly recommend watching SRAM's video before installing. The UDH is plastic so that it breaks intentionally during impact and saves the components attached to it. It is sacrificed during impact. If it were metal then the purpose would be defeated as you noted.

You may find a derailleur hanger that fits your bike but if it's metal then it's not a UDH.

Good luck.

Posted: Aug 5, 2022 at 15:10 Quote
Made from aluminum which is not going to provide the impact protection, but that's what the OP wanted. Nice find.

Posted: Aug 14, 2022 at 16:28 Quote
BenLow2019 wrote:
Made from aluminum which is not going to provide the impact protection, but that's what the OP wanted. Nice find.
As far as alloys go aluminum is pretty malleable and usually bends during a crash way before the derailleur gets damaged.

| Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.008573
Mobile Version of Website