Norco Sight 170/157mm

PB Forum :: Norco
Norco Sight 170/157mm
  • Previous Page
Posted: Oct 21, 2020 at 7:20 Quote
For the story, owner of a 2017 Commencal AM V4.2 (27.5), I'm 5''10 for 142 lbs and ride a few enduro every year.

I found most of the new enduro too big/heavy especially with a zeb/38 and as I'd like to keep riding 27.5'' it reduces the possibilities. I did try the new Meta AM 29 and it feels too heavy, not poppy and not nimble.
The Sight is basically the only bike left I'm interested in (27.5, good geo, alloy...) and I'm about to test ride the 29ers. The only thing I'd like is 170/160mm instead of the 160/150mm on offer.

For people who run their Sight in 170/157mm or at least 170/150mm how does it feel compare to the stock Sight? What about the climbing position? Did you put a coil?
I'm not really happy about changing the bike that much but with the lack of choice in 27.5, the lack of bike to test ride and the lack of bikes because of Covid, I try to think outside the box.
Thanks

O+ FL
Posted: Oct 21, 2020 at 17:09 Quote
I can't comment on the actual application of the bike, but if you aren't going to change to a coil it won't be a grossly expensive conversion. You can put a longer air spring in any of the forks offered on the alloy sights for very limited money - its pretty straightforward to DIY and you might even be able to convince the shop you're buying the bike from to include labour to swap it if you pay the parts upgrade.

As for the shock, I'd personally be happy running any of the suspension options on the A1 or A2, and both can be lengthened internally without having to shell out a bunch of extra cash for a new shock. On most shocks you can DIY this yourself and get yourself *most* of the way without a serious rebuild, or you can get it done right by a suspension tuning shop - they'll pull out the 2.5mm spacer and make your shock the full 55mm stroke that it has. I'm sure S4 in your neck of the woods could accomplish this.

As for how it works? All the Norco athletes seemed to run this setup (albeit on 29er frames) this past year, so it can't be that bad.

Posted: Oct 26, 2020 at 19:43 Quote
Anyone had a chance to run a 170 mm fork. Just ordered a new air shaft for my fox 36 .

Posted: Oct 27, 2020 at 14:45 Quote
Has anyone removed the spacer in the 52.5 deluxe shock? Is it as simple as just cutting out the blue spacer?

O+
Posted: Nov 6, 2020 at 4:13 Quote
Mega-Man wrote:
Has anyone removed the spacer in the 52.5 deluxe shock? Is it as simple as just cutting out the blue spacer?

You also need to reset the IFP height for the new stroke.

Posted: Nov 7, 2020 at 3:59 Quote
I removed the spacer without adjusting the IFP. So far so good. I added an extra token to account for the missing volume of the stroke reducer which would have been acting like a token itself.

According to the chart below the deluxe shocks after 2018 have IFPs that work within a range and don't need adjustments for every size. I'm only assuming this includes my shock, a R model which should be newer then 2018 but the R model doesn't seem to be listed in the newer chart.

The bottom out is happening further down the stroke so it appears to be working at least partially.

photo

photo

photo

photo

photo

photo

Last two pics are before and after bottom outs with no air in can. Apologies for the dirty bike. Great care was taken to keep the internals clean I promise

Posted: Nov 7, 2020 at 4:41 Quote
Nice thanks for the update! Could you let us know how the bike feels after a few rides?

O+
Posted: Nov 7, 2020 at 6:08 Quote
I'm not quite sure that the IFP works in a range, well too big a volume wouldn't be an issue but hey if it works it works!

The test would be with no air in the shock to bottom the bike out see if its using the mechanical bottom out or the IFP is bottoming out. If the IFP bottoms out you could pop damper seals.

Posted: Nov 7, 2020 at 6:31 Quote
My shock is a regular deluxe (no piggie back reservoir). There is absolutely a risk of bottoming out the ifp so do at your own risk. But I still believe the newer shocks work within a range. According to his screenshot the super deluxe has only two positions to cover all sizes.

photo

O+
Posted: Nov 8, 2020 at 14:06 Quote
Ahh i didn't realise it was an inline shock! Interesting that they have a range!

Well keep us updated on how the bike rides with the extra travel! Id love for the progression to continue to increase and give a bottomless feel.

Posted: Nov 8, 2020 at 17:04 Quote
My 2020 C2 has a 55mm stroke X2 as standard, no reducer. It rides well but I haven’t had much time on one with a Super Deluxe for any comparison. The 2021 X2 equiped bikes have gone to 52.5 for some reason.

O+
Posted: Nov 9, 2020 at 0:51 Quote
gmunting wrote:
My 2020 C2 has a 55mm stroke X2 as standard, no reducer. It rides well but I haven’t had much time on one with a Super Deluxe for any comparison. The 2021 X2 equipped bikes have gone to 52.5 for some reason.

I believe that this is due to the Gen 1 fox X2 having a much larger bottom out bumper than the Gen 2 X2.

The Gen 1 X2 was always tricky to get full travel so acted as a slightly shorter stroke shock.

O+ FL
Posted: Nov 9, 2020 at 8:07 Quote
gmunting wrote:
My 2020 C2 has a 55mm stroke X2 as standard, no reducer. It rides well but I haven’t had much time on one with a Super Deluxe for any comparison. The 2021 X2 equiped bikes have gone to 52.5 for some reason.

That's odd,
My X2 equipped A2 has the 52.5 travel as noted by the Fox Tune iD... actually 0.3 if you read the iD notes.

Description: 2020, FLOAT X2, P-S, A, LSC, LSR, Trunnion, Norco, Sight C2, A2, 185, 55, 0.3 Spacer x2, CM, Rezi CL, Standard, Gray Logo

Unconfirmed by actually opening the thing up (or measured travel by de-pressurising the chamber) but i feel I've bottomed it once or twice (and i am not a hard rider @ 180lb) and the travel indicator o-ring is about 2.5-3mm shy of where it should be landing sans spacers.

Unless of course i've misinterpreted what you've said, and the 2021s are actually a 52.5 travel with no spacers... but that would be a 'Custom' size all together.

Posted: Nov 9, 2020 at 15:04 Quote
First impression of the extra travel (possibly only partially extra since I didn’t reset the IFP) : Feels the same but with a smoother bottom out. The extra token that I put in to replace the volume of the stroke reducer may have something to do with it too. I’m now maxed on tokens including a gnarr dog. Running 200psi (same as before), 85kg rider and used a shock wiz to setup. Doesn’t feel like extra travel, but I’m not feeling the bottom like I used to either.

O+
Posted: Nov 10, 2020 at 1:17 Quote
Mega-Man wrote:
First impression of the extra travel (possibly only partially extra since I didn’t reset the IFP) : Feels the same but with a smoother bottom out. The extra token that I put in to replace the volume of the stroke reducer may have something to do with it too. I’m now maxed on tokens including a gnarr dog. Running 200psi (same as before), 85kg rider and used a shock wiz to setup. Doesn’t feel like extra travel, but I’m not feeling the bottom like I used to either.

So how many token are you running in total?
The gnardog is 2.5 but lets call the spacer you removed 0.5 tokens.
So you're on essentially 4t total compared to stock? (2.5-0.5+1+1)?

I'm currently on 3 and feel bottom out on larger sends and drops. (Super deluxe select+)

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.018453
Mobile Version of Website