Norco Sight 170/157mm

PB Forum :: Norco
Norco Sight 170/157mm
| Next Page
Posted: May 13, 2022 at 9:54 Quote
On a related note, Who in BC are people using for custom FOX tunes? (36 v/ vvcGrip2 & X2)
I saw your post but realised Fluid only do Rockshox.
Vorsprung appear to have slowed down their service/tuning department to focus on product development, so can only do the older Fit4 stuff by the looks of it?

The backup is always FOX in Burnaby but i'd like to try somewhere else

Posted: May 13, 2022 at 12:56 Quote
Dwarfmarine wrote:
On a related note, Who in BC are people using for custom FOX tunes? (36 v/ vvcGrip2 & X2)
I saw your post but realised Fluid only do Rockshox.
Vorsprung appear to have slowed down their service/tuning department to focus on product development, so can only do the older Fit4 stuff by the looks of it?

The backup is always FOX in Burnaby but i'd like to try somewhere else

Call Suspension Werks in North Vancouver, they service Fox. I've had great service from them in the past.

Posted: May 13, 2022 at 14:22 Quote
razzle wrote:
Call Suspension Werks in North Vancouver, they service Fox. I've had great service from them in the past.

Someone else suggested them, they’ve got me booked in!

Posted: May 14, 2022 at 8:58 Quote
razzle wrote:
I've had the same thing done at Fluid Function. They change the tune/shims. Definitely better mid stroke and bottom out. In fact I got them to remove the custom bumper and put the original bumper back in because I still had 10mm of unused travel. Went from Gnar dog to 2 tokens. I'm now using most of my travel without bottoming out.

This is good to know, but just to clarify: you put the original bumper back in and went to 2 tokens total, or 2 token plus the 2 it come with so 4 total?

Posted: May 14, 2022 at 9:06 Quote
RipTorn wrote:
razzle wrote:
I've had the same thing done at Fluid Function. They change the tune/shims. Definitely better mid stroke and bottom out. In fact I got them to remove the custom bumper and put the original bumper back in because I still had 10mm of unused travel. Went from Gnar dog to 2 tokens. I'm now using most of my travel without bottoming out.

This is good to know, but just to clarify: you put the original bumper back in and went to 2 tokens total, or 2 token plus the 2 it come with so 4 total?
I was bottoming out with the original setup. After the tune and with the original Gnar dog token, I still had 10mm of unused travel left on the shock, so I got them to put the original bumper back in. After several ride there was still unused travel so I removed the Gnar dog and replaced it with 2 tokens.

Posted: May 14, 2022 at 11:38 Quote
I should also add that I'm not doing huge air. 6-8 ft drop max.

Posted: May 14, 2022 at 19:37 Quote
razzle same here, not dropping huge cliffs or anything like that either. Went on my third ride with the new tune today and even after letting some air out and being at 33% sag, I’m still not using that last 10mm of travel. Definitely not bottoming out anymore though! First I think I’ll take some tokens out and see what that does…

Posted: Jun 17, 2022 at 6:50 Quote
I've converted my 2021 sight to 170/157, with a coil thats 55mm stroke length.

Rides amazing, I wouldn't go back. The only thing I'd caution is the fork offset, try to find the shortest possible offset, as it does impact handling/steering. Especially noticeable on tight switchbacks.

You can check out the build here

Posted: Jul 11, 2022 at 3:37 Quote
Created an account just to post this:

Me
Bike - 2020 Norco Sight A1
Skill level - Intermediate
Weight - 77kgs kitted
Suspension preference - Balanced

I could not find a setup I thought was worth the money of the Norco Sight until I went Gnardog + 1 token and removed the travel reducer. I did not try the token setup prior to removing the spacer to compare before and after removing the spacer. My travel spacer was grey and not blue as shown in prior photos in this thread, who knows if that means anything.

As above, I removed the travel reducer whilst running Gnardog +2 tokens, on tech it hit a wall of progression way too quick even when upping the psi to try and compensate both before and after the travel increase. I had tried 1 token, 2 tokens and 4.5 tokens and none made the bike feel like it had the ability to soak up multiple hits whilst being supple. At 4.5 tokens the bike also felt like it blew through travel before spiking at the end.

Now with the travel reducer gone and running 3.5 tokens (Gnardog +1 token) I can soak up multiple hits and the bike doesn't hit that wall of progression. It also feels better off drops as I'm running higher PSI and the mid-stroke feels way better.

I see a lot of commenters trying to compensate suppleness off the top by adding tokens and lowering the PSI, from what i've read off forums and my own experience, I would recommend higher PSI and less tokens especially if you're a heavier rider.

Cant say if the travel increase made as much of a difference as taking a token out, but I absolutely felt no downside in increasing the rear travel prior to the token change. To those struggling with their setup and have exhausted other options, id say take the travel spacer out.

See below from what I found off another forum...unrelated to the 170/157mm discussion:

Posting to assist others looking at a Sight - 2020 Sight A1 29 (size Large) review (after 10 months of riding):

Rider height approx 178cm / weight 75kgs
I primarily ride in Sydney Aus, rocky sandstone terrain. Have raced the bike in an Enduro setting at a reasonable level.
Came off a 2018 27.5 Giant Reign Advanced as prior bike. Loved my Reign, however, the Sight's larger wheels & improved geometry were immediately noticeable, significantly better descending rear wheel corner traction & seated climbing position.

Upgrades/adjustments over the past 10 months:

GENERAL
Norco ride aligned bar height recommendation is a tad too low, installed 30mm rise bar. Norco recommended bar width was fairly accurate (770mm)
installed one up chain guide with bash guard, the e13 top guide is unreliable/flicks open
Comes with rubber chainstay protector & downtube protector - ok but need to be re-glued. Also has thin frame skin on down tube, nice feature but some AMS protection added in spots to save paint.
installed 50mm stem (stock = 40mm), provided better balanced feel, more weight over front wheel & more cockpit space. Stock stem is heavy.
Marsh guard slapper tape around chain stay near cassette & chain ring - the paint chips quickly.
Ergon seat is comfy but heavy, replaced
Side access bottle cage is ideal, front triangle is tight.
There is some internal cable rattle. Had some foam cable house wrap installed. Still taps away a bit.
Dropper post is consistent & solid performer. Can develop play, easily resolved by unscrewing the collar, cleaning & greasing the shaft (slickoleum).
dropper lever is ok, however replaced with one up lever, significantly lighter action & nice ergonomics with bearing lever
Rear axle can work itself loose or overly tight, worth checking occasionally
main pivot bolt & seat stay bolts occasionally slightly loose
Installed 200mm rear brake disc. Codes have been flawless otherwise.
GX derailleur clutch wears out, installed front/smaller loop of STFU to address chain slap
Crankboots are a worthwhile investment
As often documented, stock E13 LG whatever rims are rubbish. Dented & constant loose spokes (rear only - front has survived so far). Replaced with DTswiss EX471.
Cush core pro in rear & CC XC in front. Significantly improved traction & rear rim protection. (front 24-25psi / rear 28-30psi)
SUSPENSION:
Upgraded Lyrik air spring to new model, 160mm fork sat at 140-150 out of the box (required 2 tokens/88-90 psi to feel composed). New air spring increased ride height & meant only 1 token required, 83psi. 1 click HSC, 5 clicks LSC (from open). Lyric feels better with more air, less compression damping. Rebound 5 clicks from open.
Ride aligned low speed comp. recommendations seem excessive & felt harsh.
Rear shock (RS super deluxe select+) with recommended 2 tokens & 198psi bottomed out often.
Gnar dog (2.5) + 1 or 2 tokens & 195-7 psi effectively solved bottom out, tendency to hit a "wall of progression" on repeated hits though.
The 2 way compression switch on this shock is handy for easy road climbs, otherwise left it open. Not a "lock out" but very firm when closed.

RS MEGNEG on Super Deluxe experiment:
• 2 tokens (+) / 2 bands (-) (out of possible 4) = not achieving full travel, too soft off the top, harsh ride.
• 1 token / 3 bands = significant improvement, achieving full travel, however felt "dead" until ridden at decent speed/muted the trail too much.
• 1 token / 4 bands = very lively, progressive, but had to run rebound closed completely to control rebound. Approx 245psi
• 0 tokens / 4 bands = best balance for my weight/riding ability. Achieving full travel, supple off the top, good progression & no harshness through mid stroke. 2-3 clicks rebound from open (out of 5 total) No regular bottom out @ 250-252psi.

Overall the bike has been awesome. Can be pedalled comfortably all day, steep seat angles are a game changer. Standing/sprint pedalling will still obviously bob.
Confident descender, head angle inspires confidence, linkage layout makes for a bike with great traction. Build spec is excellent for descents barring the rims (DT hubs are great) & rear shock setup niggles.
Alloy frame with CC & all the other extras means it is heavier, haven't weighed it but would guess 15-15.5kgs? But it doesn't really matter, have not noticed it.

Mainly posting this as I couldn't find info anywhere on the net about people's MegNeg setup on Sight, hence all my puzzling! Hope the info above helps current owners & potential buyers with bike setup.

Posted: Jul 11, 2022 at 6:26 Quote
I had Fluid Function do a special tune on my shock last year, I thought I'd get his advice before trying a MegNeg, here's what he had to say

"The original tune in your shock would have been overpowered by the Megneg's increased air pressure; with your tuned shock it will work well together."

My MegNeg setup is 25% more psi then the standard aircan for 30% sag. No negative bands and 1 positive token. I've only gone for 1 ride, so hard to comment on setup up, but definitely notice improved small bump compliance, used most of my travel (3mm left) and no bottom out.
Mid-stroke definitely wasn't harsh, need to do a janker trail to get a better opinion.

Posted: Jul 19, 2022 at 10:16 Quote
Dwarfmarine wrote:
razzle wrote:

Someone else suggested them, they’ve got me booked in!

Thought i'd circle back in with some feedback on the service with Suspension Werx..

Holy balls, my suspension feels amazing.. In the end i did not go with a custom tune, as they advised for the frame leverage and my riding tyle, the existing Medium tune is just right.
As you all know you provide your suspension settings when you send them in - Fork came back exactly the same (I already had that pretty well dialled) but the Shock came back with the H/L S C/R a couple of clicks off what i sent in but they must have set it up knowing the deeper inner workings of the shock because it definitely feels better.
I think i added back on one click of LSC to reduce pedal bob and slowed down HSR one click. but f**k me, i didnt think i could get the Sight riding any better, but here we are.

| Next Page

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.012716
Mobile Version of Website