Lightheaded while pushing hard, then can't recover

PB Forum :: Fitness, Training and Health
Lightheaded while pushing hard, then can't recover
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
O+
Posted: Oct 21, 2020 at 11:30 Quote
I am a 50 year old mountain biker who has been riding for 30 years. I ride typically two to three times per week, average 10-15 miles and 2,000 to 3,000 feet of climbing per ride.

Lately, within the last year, if I push myself too hard on a climb, I start to feel a little lightheaded (not dizzy), and once that happens, I feel short of breath, and I can't recover.

What I mean is, after this happens, I get short of breath VERY quickly (like after five minutes of light riding) and need to take a break.

I don't feel like I am dehydrated, or out of food. It only happens when I am riding with riders faster than me, and I try to keep up on the climbs.

Please let me know if you have any ideas what might be causing this. Maybe I am not eating the right things? I usually ride in the morning after a breakfast of oatmeal.

Posted: Oct 21, 2020 at 11:50 Quote
It's possible there's a benign explanation, but it's important you read this first.

Posted: Oct 25, 2020 at 6:03 Quote
R-M-R wrote:
It's possible there's a benign explanation, but it's important you read this first.
Get a Wahoo HR monitor, $70. The free app can be used on your iphone. Cheap insurance.

O+
Posted: Nov 7, 2020 at 16:40 Quote
Two years ago at 51 was having issues riding in the 90° heat getting lightheaded, felt like vision was narrowing like I was going to pass out. Below 70° I didn't seem to have much of a problem. Mentioned it to my Doc, had the treadmill and some other tests done. I had a 90% blockage in 3 arteries. Had surgery last year, took a while to recover, but able to go on a 3 hour ride today and all is good now. Get it checked out.

Posted: Jan 3, 2021 at 16:20 Quote
I’m experiencing a similar problem where after I push up a hill if I sit up I feel dizzy, out of breath, my peripheral vision can be slightly blurred, and I feel a lump in my throat. It can take 5-20 min to calm down and continue. My MD cardiologist friend suggested I get check out (Stress test, echo cardiogram, consider coronary artery calcium scan).

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.025432
Mobile Version of Website