Why so many brand new used bikes for sale?

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Why so many brand new used bikes for sale?
  • Previous Page
Posted: Oct 21, 2020 at 22:47 Quote
So I'm new to most of this cultural MTB thing, I bought my first higher end bike last year for 700$ not knowing it needed everything replaced and I'm now into it for about 4700$ but it's now custom built with all the newest "top of the line" gear and tuned by yours truely (I'm a certified mechanic by nature, so it comes easy)

What I can't get is, why, why are there sooooo many nearly brand new bikes for sale on here for retail prices, are they ex rental bikes or does every spoiled mtber out there just use their bikes for 6-10 months then flip them to get another new one, in the car world we call those curbers and you stay far away from them. So what gives?

Do y'all just not like what your buying enough to keep it? Is it the fact the service turn around is so piss poor and y'all can't fix your own bikes you just get ride of them before it's time for any service??

Someone please enlighten me, coz I shop all the time on here for more bikes to buy and build, mainly coz I like to wrench and tinker and have a sickness with buying and collecting things like motorcycles, cars, and now apperently mountian bikes, but I never sell them, I keep I collect.

Cheers

Posted: Oct 22, 2020 at 0:59 Quote
There are a few things going on...

1. If you can flip your bike after a season, you dont have to burden the cost of any repairs or service. and there are plenty of people who will buy it not realizing what kind of dumpster fire they may be walking into.

2. If you get any kind of pro deal or sponsorship, you can do this an possibly make money

3. Bikes have been hard to come by this season, so used bikes have been selling at an exaggerated premium

4. Lots of people bought bikes this year, who never really biked before. But biking is hard, and crashing hurts... so they don't want the bike anymore.

5. People always list their bikes for outrageous prices, because they are delusional and sometimes buyers are morons.

Posted: Oct 22, 2020 at 8:37 Quote
cmcrawfo wrote:

1. If you can flip your bike after a season, you dont have to burden the cost of any repairs or service. and there are plenty of people who will buy it not realizing what kind of dumpster fire they may be walking into.

2. If you get any kind of pro deal or sponsorship, you can do this an possibly make money

3. Bikes have been hard to come by this season, so used bikes have been selling at an exaggerated premium

4. Lots of people bought bikes this year, who never really biked before. But biking is hard, and crashing hurts... so they don't want the bike anymore.

5. People always list their bikes for outrageous prices, because they are delusional and sometimes buyers are morons.

This. Because of #3 I sold 4 bikes off that were pretty much not going to be worth 2 grand, for over 3 grand, and got myself a brand new Ripmo af coil Deore for no extra money. Had enough left over for a set of oneup carbon bars (don’t bother they aren’t worth it). #covid19bikecraze

Posted: Oct 22, 2020 at 10:36 Quote
cmcrawfo wrote:

Lol, No 5 hits. Sooooooo many people seem to pay 80% of MSRP for used bikes.... Absolute insanity IMO.

Posted: Oct 22, 2020 at 14:20 Quote
It's consumerism mixed with the person having made a bad choice with the original purchase.

We can equivocate and come up with explanations all we want, but the reality in most cases is those bikes are up there in the Buy/Sell because the seller has the level of disposable income to spend freely on bikes every season or every other season and enjoys having a shiny new toy to blast around on and stay at the forefront of changes in design (geo, susp., etc.). The sponsorship thing mentioned by someone else also factors in a bit, but there's far less sponsored people than there are people who just like to have the latest, greatest.

The other thing is, as mentioned, lots of people buy new bikes all the time. Often times much more bike than they will ever in their wildest fantasies need for the type of riding they will be doing. They then realize pedaling that 37lb Enduro monstrosity around their local footpaths is not only silly looking but a terrible waste of effort and a used 1970s 10-speed from the local community bike group would have been bang on for what they needed, so they then are trying to recoup some of the $0000s they spent on a bike they will never use.

If you want to see some more ridiculously overpriced bicycles for sale look up the Craigslist for your local area and look at all the dentists trying to resell the $7k bike they bought and put 40km on before they realized they aren't really that into cycling and would like to try to recover as much as they can. You'll find some outlandishly priced bullshit on there quite often (though I have found a few gems on my local CL from people just trying to unload stuff asap).

Posted: Oct 22, 2020 at 16:26 Quote
This was like reading a page out of a high-end magazine, with the address blacked out because it was originally mailed to his doctor home, one might find on an end table in the doctors waiting room that looks like it was previously set next to his couch at his doctor home and found new life in his doctor waiting room. Are you an out of work writer? Wow. You have hit the head of the nail with the butt of a joke, and captured the imagination of so many. No wonder there has not been a response up until me. Speechless or spellbound or just spun-out? I don't know. Who can know these things and how do you come up with them?

Posted: Oct 23, 2020 at 7:27 Quote
ajriding wrote:
This was like reading a page out of a high-end magazine, with the address blacked out because it was originally mailed to his doctor home, one might find on an end table in the doctors waiting room that looks like it was previously set next to his couch at his doctor home and found new life in his doctor waiting room. Are you an out of work writer? Wow. You have hit the head of the nail with the butt of a joke, and captured the imagination of so many. No wonder there has not been a response up until me. Speechless or spellbound or just spun-out? I don't know. Who can know these things and how do you come up with them?

Holy why so aggressive, your Lycra undies too tight??

O+
Posted: Oct 23, 2020 at 8:26 Quote
bentwrench wrote:
Holy why so aggressive, your Lycra undies too tight??

Ignore him, majority of his posts are like that.

O+
Posted: Oct 23, 2020 at 8:45 Quote
bentwrench wrote:
coz I shop all the time on here for more bikes to buy and build, mainly coz I like to wrench and tinker and have a sickness with buying and collecting things like motorcycles, cars, and now apperently mountian bikes, but I never sell them, I keep I collect.

Cheers

I think this is a big part of it. People want to try new things so they flip whatever they have to purchase something new.

There's a lot of money in the car scene. Yes there are certainly wealthy people into mountain bikes but there are also a bunch of people daily driving a $3,000 beater with no money in the bank who ride a really nice bike.

O+
Posted: Oct 23, 2020 at 8:58 Quote
Will1848 wrote:

Lol, No 5 hits. Sooooooo many people seem to pay 80% of MSRP for used bikes.... Absolute insanity IMO.

This is driving me crazy too. The most I'm paying for a used mtb is 50-60% of retail. By the time you factor in loss of warranty, new tires, suspension maintenance, you're pretty much back at the retail price anyway.

Posted: Oct 23, 2020 at 9:09 Quote
ajriding wrote:

^
This guy is a real twat, huh?

Posted: Oct 23, 2020 at 9:43 Quote
Many people (myself included) will subconsciously begin to blame the bike or components for skill or fitness deficiency. Climb to long and hard? A lighter bike would fix it. Got passed by guys on the downhill when you thought you were faster than anyone? Its because need 29inch or coil. Room for water bottle is the problem... So the new steed gets sacrificed for some different better bike. People will pay max used pricescause new bikes not available so price is high and ride today!, and they get it. Unfortunatelynew bike not fix issue and cycle repeats. For everyone involved.

Posted: Oct 23, 2020 at 10:12 Quote
animportant wrote:
bentwrench wrote:
coz I shop all the time on here for more bikes to buy and build, mainly coz I like to wrench and tinker and have a sickness with buying and collecting things like motorcycles, cars, and now apperently mountian bikes, but I never sell them, I keep I collect.

Cheers

I think this is a big part of it. People want to try new things so they flip whatever they have to purchase something new.

There's a lot of money in the car scene. Yes there are certainly wealthy people into mountain bikes but there are also a bunch of people daily driving a $3,000 beater with no money in the bank who ride a really nice bike.

Yes, my post was really meant to be tongue in cheek, lol.

The reason for it is because this is a website filled with zealous mountain bike enthusiasts who (many of us anyway) will prioritize spending on our passion over things like a newer car (this is definitely me), newest TV/PC, remodeling old kitchen cabinets, etc., and then there are the people who swap out bikes seasonally either because they have sponsorship or disposable income that allows them to do so without it impacting other financial considerations in their life. I was pretty sure the whole dentist thing was a well recognized joke in the mtb community. Certainly, nothing wrong with making a good living and affording the best stuff you can for the hobby/hobbies you enjoy most. I know I spend more on mtb related things than my wife would say is sane, but she knows it is something I am passionate about and it is a big part of my overall health in life both mental and physical so she really doesn't mind it.

Posted: Oct 23, 2020 at 21:01 Quote
animportant wrote:
bentwrench wrote:

Cheers

Oh for sure! I don't disagre at all, I just find it sus when literally brand new pervious owned bikes are for sale, I literally wanna know why the person doesn't like it and know one will ever be honest lol. And I want the answer to those questions coz I my self want more bikes! So from one biker to another just be straight up like yeah I'm selling it coz I can't ride or that the bike just didn't tickel them pink.

O+
Posted: Nov 4, 2020 at 5:20 Quote
bentwrench wrote:
animportant wrote:
bentwrench wrote:

Cheers

Oh for sure! I don't disagre at all, I just find it sus when literally brand new pervious owned bikes are for sale, I literally wanna know why the person doesn't like it and know one will ever be honest lol. And I want the answer to those questions coz I my self want more bikes! So from one biker to another just be straight up like yeah I'm selling it coz I can't ride or that the bike just didn't tickel them pink.

I've read several people say something along these lines and I agree 100% : I think there are a lot of people who get excited about the idea of mountain biking and then realize it's not for them. You have to enjoy punishment and be willing to risk injury. Many people want to feel like a kid again but don't want to act like one. So they end up buying a bike and then it sits. Also some people can't or don't find or make the time to actually get out and ride.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.011420
Mobile Version of Website