Can't find a replace! help!

PB Forum :: Freeride & Slopestyle
Can't find a replace! help!
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Message
Posted: Oct 21, 2020 at 23:06 Quote
Yo pinkbike community! It's the first time i write here so i hope you'll be kind! I'm from Italy and i ride a 2006 specialized sx trail. It's been a couple of mounths since i realize that the bolt keeping the shock firm is without thread, so i can't close it anymore, resulting in the shock going everywhere up and down. I tried to conctact specy but they tlod me that canno help me, locals told me the bolt is too difficult to reproduce since it has a allen key hole in the centre.... i'm desperate, i don't want to throw my bike away.... anyone now what can i do? somebody got an original replacement?? If u take a look at the oficial manual at page 16, it's the bolt named "2.f" (don't know how to post a pic lol)

Posted: Oct 22, 2020 at 2:10 Quote
Can you post a picture of it?

Posted: Oct 25, 2020 at 0:01 Quote
Danzzz88 wrote:
Can you post a picture of it?
So sorry i don't know how to upload a pic, it's quite obscure in this site.... pls check this other italian forum where i posted my problem https://community.mtb-mag.com/t/stregato-dalla-specialized-sx-trail-terza-parte-non-quotare-foto.168305/page-124
Pics are at post number 2479, sorry again for the strange method

Posted: Oct 26, 2020 at 9:39 Quote
Sometimes just running a bolt all the way through in the correct
dimensions can overcome non available parts.

Ive used generic partial threaded allen bolts, washers and flanged nuts before now in
instances like this to good effect, sometimes over sleeved to make up small
tolerances if no access to a lathe or tooling.

Cant view those fuzzy thumbnails to see, and clicking to enlarge
requires I register and join the forum.

Posted: Oct 26, 2020 at 23:59 Quote
muddytreker wrote:
Sometimes just running a bolt all the way through in the correct
dimensions can overcome non available parts.

Ive used generic partial threaded allen bolts, washers and flanged nuts before now in
instances like this to good effect, sometimes over sleeved to make up small
tolerances if no access to a lathe or tooling.

Cant view those fuzzy thumbnails to see, and clicking to enlarge
requires I register and join the forum.
i've posted a pic in my pink bike profile to show the non original part. really don't understand how to post a pic inside the topic

Posted: Oct 27, 2020 at 10:10 Quote
With no clear detailed info on the bolt you need its difficult to know,
your picture shows a link with bolts in place, not sure how
to determine size of bolt from that alone, and not familiar with that bike,
a picture of the bolt itself removed from the bike if you have it and
sizes, sizes are the key.

If Specialized can't help then your going to have to seek out
a surplus, 2nd hand used one or make something up to work,
but again with no size to work with and no picture of bolt
your not making it easy for others to help in detail.

I have a mixed bag of pivot bolts and no idea of the bikes they came
from, so would rely on measurements to assertain fit.

An alternative, If its a straight through bolt ? its easy to turn down a solid round bar of alloy
to suit bearing ID, cut to overall length, female threads in each end,
a large washer each end and a couple of allen bolts,
theres a wealth of engineering grade alloys of stock size online,
in a multitude of shapes and sizes.

An engineering shop in your area could tackle such a task, If I was running
out of options I would approach one and see, or even phone around.

Engineering forums, RC plane builder forums etc have individuals who build there own
stuff and have access to tools that may help if politely contacted, some do offer
there services as a business.

Posted: Oct 27, 2020 at 10:13 Quote
Ilsupremo wrote:
Danzzz88 wrote:
Can you post a picture of it?
So sorry i don't know how to upload a pic, it's quite obscure in this site.... pls check this other italian forum where i posted my problem https://community.mtb-mag.com/t/stregato-dalla-specialized-sx-trail-terza-parte-non-quotare-foto.168305/page-124
Pics are at post number 2479, sorry again for the strange method
If you go to the tutorial section there is an in depth write up on the process.

Posted: Nov 1, 2020 at 0:34 Quote
muddytreker wrote:
With no clear detailed info on the bolt you need its difficult to know,
your picture shows a link with bolts in place, not sure how
to determine size of bolt from that alone, and not familiar with that bike,
a picture of the bolt itself removed from the bike if you have it and
sizes, sizes are the key.

If Specialized can't help then your going to have to seek out
a surplus, 2nd hand used one or make something up to work,
but again with no size to work with and no picture of bolt
your not making it easy for others to help in detail.

I have a mixed bag of pivot bolts and no idea of the bikes they came
from, so would rely on measurements to assertain fit.

An alternative, If its a straight through bolt ? its easy to turn down a solid round bar of alloy
to suit bearing ID, cut to overall length, female threads in each end,
a large washer each end and a couple of allen bolts,
theres a wealth of engineering grade alloys of stock size online,
in a multitude of shapes and sizes.

An engineering shop in your area could tackle such a task, If I was running
out of options I would approach one and see, or even phone around.

Engineering forums, RC plane builder forums etc have individuals who build there own
stuff and have access to tools that may help if politely contacted, some do offer
there services as a business.
the specs form specy manuals are 74mm long x 15 mm diametre and 23.5mm head diameter, i'll post another pic in my profile. i got in contact with a local used-motorbike-parts dealer and he should be able to recreate the bolt with the same size n stuff. now i'm waiting, hoping for this part to come alive quickly!

Posted: Nov 2, 2020 at 9:00 Quote
Had a quick look through my parts box,
the closest Ive got to that is,

80mm length, 15mm Diameter, 28mm Diameter Head,
takes 8mm Hex allen key, 1.5mm Thread with
approx 10mm thread at end of bolt.

Though being a 15mm through bolt, it wont be difficult
to make or source an alternative to the original bolt.

Note: Ideas of thought.
As a garage fix, a 15mm Fox fork axle cut down,
and a bolt or thread bar through the centre with a 7mm
diameter, and suitable size washers, flange nuts etc
consider bearing faces, would get you going again.

The 15mm through bar will secure the for and aft on the bearings, and M7
bolt or thread bar would hold the lateral.

Fox 15mm through axles have a 1.5mm thread at 14mm OD,
a through hole is approx 7.25mm ID,
So in theory you could cut off the QR lever, keep suitable length
of bolt and threaded end, flange nut on threaded axle end,if available,
then at cut off end do internal thread for suitable allen bolt, washers.

Either way, its certainly fixable.

Posted: Nov 10, 2020 at 22:57 Quote
muddytreker wrote:
Had a quick look through my parts box,
the closest Ive got to that is,

80mm length, 15mm Diameter, 28mm Diameter Head,
takes 8mm Hex allen key, 1.5mm Thread with
approx 10mm thread at end of bolt.

Though being a 15mm through bolt, it wont be difficult
to make or source an alternative to the original bolt.

Note: Ideas of thought.
As a garage fix, a 15mm Fox fork axle cut down,
and a bolt or thread bar through the centre with a 7mm
diameter, and suitable size washers, flange nuts etc
consider bearing faces, would get you going again.

The 15mm through bar will secure the for and aft on the bearings, and M7
bolt or thread bar would hold the lateral.

Fox 15mm through axles have a 1.5mm thread at 14mm OD,
a through hole is approx 7.25mm ID,
So in theory you could cut off the QR lever, keep suitable length
of bolt and threaded end, flange nut on threaded axle end,if available,
then at cut off end do internal thread for suitable allen bolt, washers.

Either way, its certainly fixable.
Actually i'm very lucky as i maneged to get one (steel made instead of alloy) from a local workshop! it's like the original but with an hexagonal nut on both sides (no more allen key but a 24 mm hexagon), today i'm going for the final touches such as taking away 0.5mm of steel on every angle of the nut so it will fit perfectly the bearing's housing. Thank to everyone who spent their time to ansewr me!

Posted: Nov 11, 2020 at 9:17 Quote
Good to here, you get to ride again.

You don't have to submit to getting yet another bike and
wasting the old one due to a so simple bolt thats beyond
the support of a bike manufacture.

Also your bolt is more over engineered to last unlike the original,
better suited to real world use.

Good on yah

Previous Page | Next Page

 
Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.005803
Mobile Version of Website