If you had $4,000 CAD (tax inc) to spend on an All-Mountain bike which one would you buy?

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
If you had $4,000 CAD (tax inc) to spend on an All-Mountain bike which one would you buy?
Previous Page |
Posted: Oct 23, 2020 at 10:43 Quote
There's so many choices nowadays that it's getting harder and harder to pick.

I just want a bike that will last me the next 5 years. I would really like to get a Santa Cruz Hightower cause it fits the kind of riding I like to do but it's over what I would like to spend.

Any other recos as alrernative for SC Hightower?

Posted: Oct 23, 2020 at 11:25 Quote
Had that same budget and riding in mind I ended up going with a giant trance x 29 2

Posted: Oct 23, 2020 at 12:44 Quote
dondy wrote:

I just want a bike that will last me the next 5 years. I would really like to get a Santa Cruz Hightower cause it fits the kind of riding I like to do but it's over what I would like to spend.

don't the choices narrow down with your $4000CAD budget?
One option if you like boutique brands like SC is a demo bike (some mileage but with new bike warranty). otherwise most "big brands" have decent bikes in that price range. Giant, Specialized, Trek, Norco, Kona, Devinci (ok not a big brand but a good option in Canada)
What does your LBS carry?

Posted: Oct 23, 2020 at 14:28 Quote
norco sight? commencal bikes? the vitus bikes look great too

Posted: Oct 24, 2020 at 18:58 Quote
brianl wrote:
dondy wrote:

don't the choices narrow down with your $4000CAD budget?
One option if you like boutique brands like SC is a demo bike (some mileage but with new bike warranty). otherwise most "big brands" have decent bikes in that price range. Giant, Specialized, Trek, Norco, Kona, Devinci (ok not a big brand but a good option in Canada)
What does your LBS carry?

There are decent bikes at my LBS but they mostly have the super high-end versions of the bikes left. And they said they aren't or can't specially ordering new ones especially Santa Cruz bikes. I think they are running out of stock everywhere. Everyone decided that its a good idea to get a bike during lockdown Smile

Do you guys know of brands or stores that sell build-kits instead? I have all the tools to put together a bike.

Posted: Oct 24, 2020 at 19:00 Quote
st3v30 wrote:
Had that same budget and riding in mind I ended up going with a giant trance x 29 2

I'm trying to not buy a Giant actually cause most of my friends have Giant Trance 2 and 3.

Posted: Oct 24, 2020 at 19:01 Quote
ski-n-bike-da-east wrote:
Staying away from Norco too cause I've just had bad experience with them. Commencal I would totally try. Not many places sell them around here in Ontario.

Posted: Oct 24, 2020 at 22:47 Quote
Look into a trance X or a reign.

Posted: Oct 25, 2020 at 8:40 Quote
Will022505 wrote:
Great recos!!

Now I just have to find them Smile

Posted: Oct 26, 2020 at 21:36 Quote
dondy wrote:
Will022505 wrote:
Great recos!!

Now I just have to find them Smile

They should be on the giant website, or are you referring to finding them in your area?

Posted: Oct 28, 2020 at 8:34 Quote
What are you looking for in a bike? Climbing focus, descending focus, all around? What types of trails are you riding? There are a lot of great choices. Orbea Occam is a great option as is the Ripmo V2 or AF. New Trance X 29 and Stumpjumper Evo also look great.

Posted: Oct 28, 2020 at 9:43 Quote
I had a similar budget in mind while looking for a new enduro or all mountain bike. I ran into the same problem as you, the LBS only has the higher spec builds in stock that were out of my price range. I looked closely at the Trance X 29 but eventually settled on a Commencal Meta AM as it's a bit more gravity focused. There are several build options for the Meta and the Ride spec should fit within your budget. Might be worth a look.

Posted: Oct 28, 2020 at 9:47 Quote
dondy wrote:
Staying away from Norco too cause I've just had bad experience with them. Commencal I would totally try. Not many places sell them around here in Ontario.

Commencal is a direct-to-consumer brand (DTC). They don't sell through your LBS, so you'll either have to order online or go to a showroom (think Squamish might be your closest with current restrictions). Would suggest looking into the AM based on your budget. Great build quality and well-designed. My 2017 Meta AM has been great to me over the last 3-years and has aged very well geo-wise.

My thinking is that people shouldn't spend money on boutique brands like SC when so many get pro deals. If you really want a Hightower, ask around with friends to see if anyone has the hookup or buy used.

Posted: Oct 28, 2020 at 16:11 Quote
For some reason when I have been bike shopping you seem to get a lot for your dollar with Devinci.

Posted: Oct 28, 2020 at 16:19 Quote
TylerJamesHall wrote:
dondy wrote:

Commencal is a direct-to-consumer brand (DTC). They don't sell through your LBS, so you'll either have to order online or go to a showroom (think Squamish might be your closest with current restrictions). Would suggest looking into the AM based on your budget. Great build quality and well-designed. My 2017 Meta AM has been great to me over the last 3-years and has aged very well geo-wise.

My thinking is that people shouldn't spend money on boutique brands like SC when so many get pro deals. If you really want a Hightower, ask around with friends to see if anyone has the hookup or buy used.
if you wanted to try something different the commencal ht am race is a good hardtail that still smashes the descents. I was a little hesitant after a full squish but ended up being faster downhill with hardtail. I would try and find a demo around you somewhere that is a good deal

Previous Page |

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.006872
Mobile Version of Website