Integrated headset troubles

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Integrated headset troubles
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Oct 24, 2020 at 16:12 Quote
So I can't for the life of me figure out how to adjust an integrated headset on my Yeti, my previous bike I had the same issue too. I don't know if it's incompatability with the parts I am choosing or how I have put it together or if simply the integrated headset design is floored.

It's either too tight or too loose, when it's loose it wobbles almost as if the chamfers where the bearings sit in the frame are a little too big and the upper headset cup moves a few mm back and forth. Tighten it down so it doesn't wobble and the stem spacers are pressing so hard on the upper bearing cup that there is loads of friction and it's stiff to turn....it's like there is no happy middle ground. Thing I don't get either is even if it isn't tightened down full why is there so much play back and forth where the bearings sit in the frame, is this intentional or just a poor quality headset/bearings?

And why do they have a design where the upper bearing cup is supposed to be static and not rub on the frame and yet to gain sufficient torque the stem spacers are pressing down on it, it just doesn't make sense as a design in general, compressing a rotating surface against a static surface just seems plain odd.

Posted: Oct 24, 2020 at 22:19 Quote
Did you put a fork on without a crown race or a different race that goes to a different headset?

Posted: Oct 25, 2020 at 2:49 Quote
I used the race that came with the fork and standard headset bearings, I'm using a head doctor but that should have nothing to do with it. I know on my last bike I used to hear a click when the compression ring seated, on this one it doesn't, but what I do know is all the friction stems from the stem spacers pressing down on the upper cup that covers the top bearing.

Posted: Oct 25, 2020 at 6:33 Quote
Sounds like you either have the wrong headset top cover (there are two different types for IS top headset bearings depending on the depth of the bearing seat in the frame) or you may need to use the shims in between the compression ring and the top cover to get the top cover to clear the frame.

Posted: Oct 25, 2020 at 8:23 Quote
Is this true, I didn't know that, do you know which top cap I would need? I know the one I have atm looked a bit small but thought that was just because it was a cheap brand. Still though is the top cap meant to rotate and if not how will a bigger one prevent friction?

Posted: Oct 25, 2020 at 10:08 Quote
craigyboy wrote:
Sounds like you either have the wrong headset top cover (there are two different types for IS top headset bearings depending on the depth of the bearing seat in the frame) or you may need to use the shims in between the compression ring and the top cover to get the top cover to clear the frame.

Was just going to say the same, sounds like a shim issue to me.

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.005270
Mobile Version of Website