Reasons to not go to AXS

• Previous Page
Posted: Oct 24, 2020 at 16:34 Quote
I have XX1 Eagle on my current bike. New bike is on the way...other than...

- stupid costly if I break it
- stupid PITA to put on one of my many Eagle rear der as a spare (if I break it)
- rumors (some confirmed) that randomly AXS will just decide to not work anymore....
- battery issues (forgetting to charge)
- STUPID costly if I break it hitting it into a rock (as I have been known to do).

So....beyond this, why again do I gain by going to wireless?

Posted: Oct 24, 2020 at 16:48 Quote
You gain by having to use less finger force, less cable routing, less maintenance, perfect shifting most of the time and not have trouble with cables seizing or snapping.

You lose by paying a ridiculous amount for replacement parts, increased unsprung mass on the rear swing arm, suffering from a flat battery, having to charge the batteries, having shit you can't just take to your local shop for a quick fix, throwing even more money at a huge corporation that is already ripping us off for mechanical drivetrains, spending £500 on a derailleur that will be out of date in a couple of years and costs as much as a smartphone, ultimately no performance improvement over a regularly maintained mechanical drivetrain.

Looks like on points mechanical wins...

Posted: Oct 25, 2020 at 4:29 Quote
And this moment when a stick will go trough the fu..... fancy derailleur... :-0

Need a second job to pay the parts...

Posted: Oct 27, 2020 at 7:52 Quote
Electronic shifting is roadie stuff. It tends to be boring on road, you should distract yourself there with various gadgets like power meters, heart monitors, shifting non-stop for getting perfect cadence etc.... Big Grin

MTB-ers are spending ridiciolus amount of money into suspension/brakes/tyres/loud hubs. Literally in almost anything else BEFORE drivetrain where basic SLX will shift good enough for anybody Smile

In reality i saw only 3 persons until now with AXS...2 of them were sponsored riders on national level. remaining one was known local businessman with tendency to "everything the best, newest, most expensive". Whatever that is. If possible use that in location where most possibility someone will see how expensive gear you have. Maybe thats why i saw him month ago on the road bike, PinareSomething Big Grin

Posted: Oct 27, 2020 at 7:57 Quote
onyxss wrote:
Electronic shifting is roadie stuff. It tends to be boring on road, you should distract yourself there with various gadgets like power meters, heart monitors, shifting non-stop for getting perfect cadence etc.... Big Grin

MTB-ers are spending ridiciolus amount of money into suspension/brakes/tyres/loud hubs. Literally in almost anything else BEFORE drivetrain where basic SLX will shift good enough for anybody Smile

In reality i saw only 3 persons until now with AXS...2 of them were sponsored riders on national level. remaining one was known local businessman with tendency to "everything the best, newest, most expensive". Whatever that is. If possible use that in location where most possibility someone will see how expensive gear you have. Maybe thats why i saw him month ago on the road bike, PinareSomething Big Grin

yessss, this is so accurate! +1

Posted: Oct 27, 2020 at 8:19 Quote
onyxss wrote:

Sir, you are confusing Roadies with Triathletes.....Pimp

Posted: Oct 27, 2020 at 9:58 Quote
As with everything high end in MTB, its a game of tiny incremental improvements and what its worth to you. I know some people that use AXS because they race, and it removes the cable as the failure point, which makes sense.

If you want reliable shifting, scoop up a 11-50 1x11 setup (sunrace cassette, shimano xt m8000, wolf tooth goat link or the cage). I have that on my bike, do minimal maintenance, and the thing shifts perfectly - over 2 years, outside of a bent hanger, I have had zero ghost shifts or failure to jump a cog when I press the triggers.

Posted: Oct 27, 2020 at 10:11 Quote
I have AXS on my bike. The bike came with it. It is soooooo much nicer to ride with than cable shifters, the shifting is crisp and reliable. In about a year I have had zero problems shifting. I love being able to click however many shifts I need and then forget about it, it just happens.
It rarely needs to be charged. Once a month is more than enough, and that's with 2-3 rides per week.
It is expensive so I understand that concern.
I would have a hard time going back now that I have used it.
Don't judge it until you have tried it.....

Posted: Oct 27, 2020 at 11:01 Quote
JustAnotherRiderHere wrote:
onyxss wrote:

Sir, you are confusing Roadies with Triathletes.....Pimp

Is there a difference? There are more kinds of... "them" ? Pimp

Posted: Oct 27, 2020 at 15:26 Quote
bajanmonkey wrote:
It rarely needs to be charged. Once a month is more than enough, and that's with 2-3 rides per week.

I am about 200 +/- Mi/Wk or so, riding XC 5+ days. So, even if I have to charge the battery once a week that is fine, I charge my lights five nights a week.

One particular shop says that "if money were no option" , they would stick with XX1 as I have it....new bike in theory on the way...would be kinda neat to toss electrics on it.

Posted: Oct 28, 2020 at 5:04 Quote
JustAnotherRiderHere wrote:
bajanmonkey wrote:

I am about 200 +/- Mi/Wk or so, riding XC 5+ days. So, even if I have to charge the battery once a week that is fine, I charge my lights five nights a week.

One particular shop says that "if money were no option" , they would stick with XX1 as I have it....new bike in theory on the way...would be kinda neat to toss electrics on it.

Well, having the XX1 already makes the upgrade cheaper....just the derailleur and controller upgrade kit needed. Big Grin
And you have a good spare.....a spare is one thing I am missing right now...

O+
Posted: Oct 28, 2020 at 5:21 Quote
A riding buddy of mine had it on his main bike all last season, and has switched back.

Based on his experience, it's a lot better shifting under power, and better at shifting wide swaths of the cassette (6-8 shifts) at once.

It's also insanely durable. No joke, we were driving 70mph during a windstorm a gust lifted the tonneau cover off his truck, taking his bike with it. The bike rag-dolled down the interstate and off onto the side. When we got to it, the AXS rear derailleur looked like it had been attacked by an angle grinder. Back at his house, we realigned the hanger, at it was shifting 100% perfectly. We went for a ride an hour later.

He sold that bike a few months ago and is now only riding cable-actuated shifting. He doesn't seem to miss AXS, but he did wreck an XTR derailleur last week and we were like " Hey remember that one time ....".

FL
Posted: Oct 28, 2020 at 6:11 Quote
when/IF the tech filters down to an affordable level. Imma be straight on it! main reason is I find current shifters have terrible ergonomics for my hands (I must have weird hands or something) I love the idea of not having to move my thumb to far off the bars as I have to now with current shifters.

Posted: Oct 28, 2020 at 6:14 Quote
nojzilla wrote:
when/IF the tech filters down to an affordable level. Imma be straight on it! main reason is I find current shifters have terrible ergonomics for my hands (I must have weird hands or something) I love the idea of not having to move my thumb to far off the bars as I have to now with current shifters.
This....and the dropper is lovely for this too.

Posted: Oct 29, 2020 at 7:48 Quote
nojzilla wrote:

Current shifters do have pretty crapy ergonomics, why the hell Shimano decided to remove double up shift from the finger trigger but not the thumb trigger too is beyond me, using thumbs to up shift sucks. But the lever thow atm is too much, it has to be to overcome the torque of the derailleur spring, made even worse by clutch mechs. Personally I like xx1 gripshift but it sucks having such limited grip options with it, but it is a piece of cake shifting compared to triggers, flick of the wrist either way, no need to remove hands and never seems to accidently shift even at the bike park, I prefer Shimano generally but if I put Sram back on my bike it would be xx1 gripshift.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.031346
Mobile Version of Website