Reasons to not go to AXS

Author Message
Posted: Nov 19, 2020 at 7:14 Quote
onyxss wrote:
G-horseNoBrakes wrote:
you just love to go round in circles eh


if you could buy axs you would. you know it and so does everyone else.

Isn't this obvious from like 5 pages back ? Smile

AXS is cool new tech with 10% increase in experience (if you are beginer unable to shift) or 5% increase if you know how to shift. Sometimes it goes up to 50% increase when looking for cool factor in front of your dentist fiends Smile

Price is aprox 300-400% compared to mechanical shifting for this experience percentage above to achieve.

To most people with limited budget this probably is nonsense, those hard earned $$$ would be waaay better invested into suspension, brakes, wheels, tyres - all of those things will influence experience waaay more than AXS.

For people with unlimited budget or gadget enthusiasts this is the way to go for sure. And i agree - the limited budget group would buy it if it was 3 times cheaper (but its not).

The failure is in original question - OP didn't say how much money he has to spare - answer would be easy then Big Grin

People with AXS money available usually fail to understand that people with limited budget ALWAYS must calculate price into other technical and cool-effect factors. It's not envy, its just the fact that $$$ is limited.

On the other end people with limited buget fail to understand that for some riders price of AXS is not important - they care only about performance and techological advance. Whatever the cost - they don't have to calculate price into equation or just simply don't want Big Grin

We should end this circle debate, i think OP got more than enough arguments from both sides Big Grin

An xc race friend of mine is well over 50, over 215lbs and just did a race where he spent one hour with average heart rate over 160 (164 I think) and yup, he uses axs as it’s less to think about during those kind of efforts. His wife told him one hospital visit for stitches probably pays for it between the bill and time lost at work. Your metrics are obviously different. Mine are too. I certainly don’t judge him for it or whine about it. When this thread started I asked him if he thought it was worth the money for a rider like me, I don’t race and my preferred riding is dh but I do ride my other bikes a lot more, he said it might be since I don’t break stuff and move components on to the next bike. Of course one bike is 11 speed and the other is 12 speed Deore so it’s not likely lol

Posted: Nov 19, 2020 at 7:15 Quote
In fact I'd even consider my shifting is even better than AXS since I don't have to use a stupid long cage derailleur and get loads if chain slap to fit that dinner plate on the back. There is a reason short cage derailleurs and shadow mechs became popular because they work better, shift crisper and less likely to get ripped off at a dh centre.

I alreadt explained why chain wrap on the cassette and how mechanical and AXS alike both shift to the next sprocket before the chain rides the sprocket, and it's known short cage derailleurs perform better than long cage as ling as it's long enough for the granny ring on your cassette. This combined with the fact I've shaved off a quarter of a kilogram off my setup nit including the shorter chain compared to AXS and have no need for tons of useless range that you would be faster getting off and walking is why I don't own AXS.

Posted: Nov 19, 2020 at 7:18 Quote
Danzzz88 wrote:
In fact I'd even consider my shifting is even better than AXS since I don't have to use a stupid long cage derailleur and get loads if chain slap to fit that dinner plate on the back. There is a reason short cage derailleurs and shadow mechs became popular because they work better, shift crisper and less likely to get ripped off at a dh centre.

I alreadt explained why chain wrap on the cassette and how mechanical and AXS alike both shift to the next sprocket before the chain rides the sprocket, and it's known short cage derailleurs perform better than long cage as ling as it's long enough for the granny ring on your cassette. This combined with the fact I've shaved off a quarter if a kilogram of my setup compared to AXS and have no need for tons if useless range that you would be faster getting off and walking is why I don't own AXS.
Dude you are just poor, admit it ????????????

Posted: Nov 19, 2020 at 7:20 Quote
adespotoskyli wrote:
Danzzz88 wrote:
In fact I'd even consider my shifting is even better than AXS since I don't have to use a stupid long cage derailleur and get loads if chain slap to fit that dinner plate on the back. There is a reason short cage derailleurs and shadow mechs became popular because they work better, shift crisper and less likely to get ripped off at a dh centre.

I alreadt explained why chain wrap on the cassette and how mechanical and AXS alike both shift to the next sprocket before the chain rides the sprocket, and it's known short cage derailleurs perform better than long cage as ling as it's long enough for the granny ring on your cassette. This combined with the fact I've shaved off a quarter if a kilogram of my setup compared to AXS and have no need for tons if useless range that you would be faster getting off and walking is why I don't own AXS.
Dude you are just poor, admit it ????????????

Yea that must be it.... XD

Posted: Nov 19, 2020 at 11:35 Quote
Danzzz88 you almost became an open minded person a few posts back, realising that although it's not for you, you could understand someone running AXS. But now your narrow minded chum adespotoskyli is back, you have returned to slagging it off, announcing your setup is far superior etc etc. Why is this?!

Are you two the same in all walks of life? Do you attack other folk who have say a different car to you? Or like different clothes? It's an odd existence.

and to start calling people out on needing a 50t chainring is utterly pathetic. You don't know the lay of the land where people live (how steep it may be), their fitness level etc. Maybe it's time to grow up a little, accept the fact the folk in this thread are very pleased with AXS and move on. Jeeeeez, life is too short man!

Posted: Nov 19, 2020 at 11:49 Quote
I am open minded and if others benfit or see positives in it I don't fair enough....

But that Scottish fella is trying yo say we can't afford it and everyone that doesn't run AXS can't afford to either, which has absolutely nothing to do with my personal reasons for not running it. Half my reasons for not running AXS also apply to Eagle which I did run on my previous bike.

I barely use half the cassette on an 11 speed setup when using only a 32t oval chainring so I have no need for the range or desire for the increased weight, especially when I spent a fortune on a lightweight wheelset and chose my drivetrain components particularly to save more weight whilst offering the range and crisp shifting that I need.

Posted: Nov 19, 2020 at 11:57 Quote
Danzzz88 wrote:
I am open minded and if others benfit or see positives in it I don't fair enough....

But that Scottish fella is trying yo say we can't afford it and everyone that doesn't run AXS can't afford to either, which has absolutely nothing to do with my personal reasons for not running it. Half my reasons for not running AXS also apply to Eagle which I did run on my previous bike.

I barely use half the cassette on an 11 speed setup when using only a 32t oval chainring so I have no need for the range or desire for the increased weight, especially when I spent a fortune on a lightweight wheelset and chose my drivetrain components particularly to save more weight whilst offering the range and crisp shifting that I need.

Ok cool, you have no need for a 50t. Some people do. I spent a lot of money making my wheels lightweight to offset the weight of my 9-52 cassette and AXS battery. It keeps my Tallboy around 27 lbs with 2.6" tires and a 140mm fork, as well as a 170mm AXS dropper and DMR Vaults.

Posted: Nov 19, 2020 at 18:51 Quote
So. ...I was thinking of going Rotor......13, yep, 13 gears...... ;-p

Posted: Nov 20, 2020 at 0:12 Quote
v7fmp wrote:
Danzzz88 you almost became an open minded person a few posts back, realising that although it's not for you, you could understand someone running AXS. But now your narrow minded chum adespotoskyli is back, you have returned to slagging it off, announcing your setup is far superior etc etc. Why is this?!

Are you two the same in all walks of life? Do you attack other folk who have say a different car to you? Or like different clothes? It's an odd existence.

and to start calling people out on needing a 50t chainring is utterly pathetic. You don't know the lay of the land where people live (how steep it may be), their fitness level etc. Maybe it's time to grow up a little, accept the fact the folk in this thread are very pleased with AXS and move on. Jeeeeez, life is too short man!

Comments about openmindness from someone that his best argument against how wireless shifting is better than cable shifting
is that we are envy of him and poor.
Gem

Posted: Nov 20, 2020 at 0:13 Quote
JustAnotherRiderHere wrote:
So. ...I was thinking of going Rotor......13, yep, 13 gears...... ;-p
New thread. We have not solve this yet, don't mess it up ????????????

Posted: Nov 20, 2020 at 0:37 Quote
adespotoskyli wrote:
v7fmp wrote:
Danzzz88 you almost became an open minded person a few posts back, realising that although it's not for you, you could understand someone running AXS. But now your narrow minded chum adespotoskyli is back, you have returned to slagging it off, announcing your setup is far superior etc etc. Why is this?!

Are you two the same in all walks of life? Do you attack other folk who have say a different car to you? Or like different clothes? It's an odd existence.

and to start calling people out on needing a 50t chainring is utterly pathetic. You don't know the lay of the land where people live (how steep it may be), their fitness level etc. Maybe it's time to grow up a little, accept the fact the folk in this thread are very pleased with AXS and move on. Jeeeeez, life is too short man!

Comments about openmindness from someone that his best argument against how wireless shifting is better than cable shifting
is that we are envy of him and poor.
Gem

great inability to read, pal.

I have not once mentioned envy or people earning more/having better jobs etc.

That was someone else in this thread.

So once again, you make yourself look like a fool.

congrats.

Posted: Nov 20, 2020 at 0:40 Quote
Danzzz88 wrote:
I am open minded and if others benfit or see positives in it I don't fair enough....

But that Scottish fella is trying yo say we can't afford it and everyone that doesn't run AXS can't afford to either, which has absolutely nothing to do with my personal reasons for not running it. Half my reasons for not running AXS also apply to Eagle which I did run on my previous bike.


that's fair enough, I don't agree with the whole envy/jealousy/better paid job argument. So you have every right to defend yourself against those type of comments. just don't get sucked into adespotoskyli level of stupid! lol

Posted: Nov 20, 2020 at 0:50 Quote
v7fmp wrote:
adespotoskyli wrote:
v7fmp wrote:
Danzzz88 you almost became an open minded person a few posts back, realising that although it's not for you, you could understand someone running AXS. But now your narrow minded chum adespotoskyli is back, you have returned to slagging it off, announcing your setup is far superior etc etc. Why is this?!

Are you two the same in all walks of life? Do you attack other folk who have say a different car to you? Or like different clothes? It's an odd existence.

and to start calling people out on needing a 50t chainring is utterly pathetic. You don't know the lay of the land where people live (how steep it may be), their fitness level etc. Maybe it's time to grow up a little, accept the fact the folk in this thread are very pleased with AXS and move on. Jeeeeez, life is too short man!

Comments about openmindness from someone that his best argument against how wireless shifting is better than cable shifting
is that we are envy of him and poor.
Gem

great inability to read, pal.

I have not once mentioned envy or people earning more/having better jobs etc.

That was someone else in this thread.

So once again, you make yourself look like a fool.

congrats.

Oh sorry my bad,
you are the ne who didn't explain how axs is less of a faff than a traditional mech that doesn't need the battery removed every ride. Still waiting

Posted: Nov 20, 2020 at 1:05 Quote
adespotoskyli wrote:
v7fmp wrote:
adespotoskyli wrote:


Comments about openmindness from someone that his best argument against how wireless shifting is better than cable shifting
is that we are envy of him and poor.
Gem

great inability to read, pal.

I have not once mentioned envy or people earning more/having better jobs etc.

That was someone else in this thread.

So once again, you make yourself look like a fool.

congrats.

Oh sorry my bad,
you are the ne who didn't explain how axs is less of a faff than a traditional mech that doesn't need the battery removed every ride. Still waiting

Dude just stop. You've made your point and refuse to listen to anything positive that anyone has to say about AXS. Now you're just beating a dead horse. Dead Horse

Posted: Nov 20, 2020 at 2:44 Quote
adespotoskyli wrote:
v7fmp wrote:
adespotoskyli wrote:


Comments about openmindness from someone that his best argument against how wireless shifting is better than cable shifting
is that we are envy of him and poor.
Gem

great inability to read, pal.

I have not once mentioned envy or people earning more/having better jobs etc.

That was someone else in this thread.

So once again, you make yourself look like a fool.

congrats.

Oh sorry my bad,
you are the ne who didn't explain how axs is less of a faff than a traditional mech that doesn't need the battery removed every ride. Still waiting

The battery doesn't need removing every ride. It doesn't need charging every ride. I have no idea why you think it does.

And whilst removing a battery could be considered faff (it takes 2 seconds), it is certainly less faff than replacing a cable, indexing your gears, then re-indexing them when the cable finally stretches.

Neither are life changing. And I am not sure anyone has ever said that it is. It is a drivetrain than many of us in this thread enjoy owning and have been pleased with.

I am sure there are folk out there who have had issues, but name a product that doesn't? Creaky CSU's on top of the line forks, frames cracking, etc. But for every 1 failure I bet there is 1000 that are perfect.

You can continue to bleat on about how you think its rubbish/overpriced/blingy all you want, but the fact is, those of us who do have it, love it. And no amount of your tears will change that.


 
Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.006008
Mobile Version of Website