Reasons to not go to AXS

O+
Posted: Dec 1, 2020 at 20:52 Quote
Im currently using xo1 11 speed, and I'm thinking of getting axs, partly so i can use a bigger chainring and go faster, but i also like the idea of the overload clutch as when i had gx eagle before, i went through 3 derailleurs in a year.

Seems like this thread is mostly arguing but i thought id ask and see if anyone who actually has axs has broken a derailleur, and what it took to do it

Posted: Dec 1, 2020 at 21:26 Quote
I’ve been riding AXS XX1 for several months and have had a few significant crashes. The AXS has held up like a champ, and has had absolutely no issue. Better then my fractured tibia and torn PCL for sure. (Oops)

Posted: Dec 1, 2020 at 23:51 Quote
newbermuda wrote:
Im currently using xo1 11 speed, and I'm thinking of getting axs, partly so i can use a bigger chainring and go faster, but i also like the idea of the overload clutch as when i had gx eagle before, i went through 3 derailleurs in a year.

Seems like this thread is mostly arguing but i thought id ask and see if anyone who actually has axs has broken a derailleur, and what it took to do it

My friend literally smashed his into a rock. It whipped around and almost contacted the seatstay, then sprang back down into place.

Posted: Dec 2, 2020 at 0:31 Quote
mine has a few big scrapes and scratches on it, but has worked perfectly throughout.

In the latest field test video, on the Acto5, Levy hits his mech super hard, rips the hanger off, but the mech survives.

Posted: Dec 2, 2020 at 4:45 Quote
newbermuda wrote:

I've been going over a year on mine, a few falls including one direct smash on some sharp rocks. No problems, just some scratches.

Posted: Dec 2, 2020 at 4:56 Quote
newbermuda wrote:

Thankyou

Posted: Dec 2, 2020 at 8:26 Quote
newbermuda wrote:

What makes you think axs is stronger than a gx or a xo1?
As far I'm concerned, no one justified how it is better than a xo1 eagle let alone how it will take a hit.

Posted: Dec 2, 2020 at 10:20 Quote
adespotoskyli wrote:
newbermuda wrote:

As far I'm concerned, no one justified how it is better than a xo1 eagle let alone how it will take a hit.

How it takes a hit is the one obvious advantage. The motor gearbox in the derailleur disengages allowing the derailleur to move without damaging the internals during impact.

O+
Posted: Dec 2, 2020 at 11:21 Quote
I read a story on mtbr about how a bike with axs got pulled off of a pickup on the freeway by the wind, and like basically defaced the derailleur. they took it home and realigned the derailleur hanger and it continued shifting perfectly as if nothing had happened, aside from it being scratched to hell. I'd say 90% of the trails i ride regularly have rocks and big sticks ready to rip derailleurs off.

i'm not looking to argue about whether the shifting is superior or not, or whether you think it's not worth the extra money cause you read an article.
I just want facts from people who own/have owned axs and broke it or damaged it.

Posted: Dec 2, 2020 at 12:57 Quote
I have the XX1 carbon cage mech and it takes a beating. Even was on my Privateer 161 which I mostly used on Dh tracks. The X01 seems even stronger.

Posted: Dec 2, 2020 at 22:41 Quote
DHhack wrote:
adespotoskyli wrote:
newbermuda wrote:

How it takes a hit is the one obvious advantage. The motor gearbox in the derailleur disengages allowing the derailleur to move without damaging the internals during impact.
The reason it disengages is not to protect the internals from the hits but rather a way to counteract the locking function of the mech because it lacks the spring and cable of a regular mech, a cable actuated mech when gets hit it moves away as the only thing that resists hits it's the spring, which isn't strong enough to damage the mech, the resistance of the spring is the one that you feel when you go up to the larger cogs. What damages a rear mech when gets hit is when the mech moves to the point of hitting the cassette or when the side slack of the chain is reached, then you bend the hanger and maybe damage the mechs cage or main body. The rest damage scenarios apply tas basically both work the same way minus the shifter cable.

Posted: Dec 3, 2020 at 4:04 Quote
When people just don't know what they don't know......

Posted: Dec 3, 2020 at 4:18 Quote
bajanmonkey wrote:
Yes enlighten us

Posted: Dec 3, 2020 at 4:26 Quote
Oh here we go.....20 more pages incoming

Posted: Dec 3, 2020 at 4:28 Quote
adespotoskyli wrote:
bajanmonkey wrote:
Yes enlighten us

There's literally 5 examples listed above that would have destroyed any other derailleur.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.011443
Mobile Version of Website