Chain derailing from lower pulley

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Chain derailing from lower pulley
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Oct 26, 2020 at 9:23 Quote
Having an issue with my chain derailing from the lower pulley of my XX1 DERAILLEUR. I've taken it to 2 local bike shops to have it looked at and they were both stumped.

It only happens when I'm in the 10T-18T range on the cassette and only happens when I'm going through some rough choppy terrain. Does not happen on smooth/flat ground.

The pulley's aren't loose, the cage isn't bent, no broken teeth on the pulley's

Posted: Oct 26, 2020 at 9:34 Quote
Are you sure that the pulley isn't cracked? A buddy had similar issues on a SRAM X9 setup years ago and the culprit was that one of the pulleys was cracked.

It was super hard to diagnose because the pulley appeared fine and the crack was only visible when the pulley had some sort of lateral load applied to it.

Posted: Oct 26, 2020 at 12:53 Quote
Will1848 wrote:
Are you sure that the pulley isn't cracked? A buddy had similar issues on a SRAM X9 setup years ago and the culprit was that one of the pulleys was cracked.

It was super hard to diagnose because the pulley appeared fine and the crack was only visible when the pulley had some sort of lateral load applied to it.

Thanks. I'll check it out.

Posted: Oct 26, 2020 at 13:19 Quote
If your chain is too long the bottom section can droop down when on the smaller cogs, whip around on rough ground and possibly derail.

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.004809
Mobile Version of Website