Commencal Absolute, what gives?

PB Forum :: Dirt Jumping & Street
Commencal Absolute, what gives?
Posted: Nov 4, 2020 at 8:24 Quote
dndhm wrote:
I also have an Absolut on order and am now thinking maybe I should have forked out (pun intended) for the RS. Is it mainly the fork that you feel needs upgrading? What's the issue with the cranks?
Honestly the fork rides really well, I personally just prefer QR for my storage practices. I also like the thinner profile and lighter weight of MTB cranks, but again that's a personal preference. The BMX style are fatter and weightier, but certainly strong. Weight aside (it's negligible because the bike is super light) I find my feet sit wider than I want and sometimes when landing after doing a foot off maneuver I end up standing on the crank which is not really a problem I run into riding MTB style cranks.

Posted: Nov 5, 2020 at 1:23 Quote
tylerlefebvre wrote:
dndhm wrote:
I also have an Absolut on order and am now thinking maybe I should have forked out (pun intended) for the RS. Is it mainly the fork that you feel needs upgrading? What's the issue with the cranks?
Honestly the fork rides really well, I personally just prefer QR for my storage practices. I also like the thinner profile and lighter weight of MTB cranks, but again that's a personal preference. The BMX style are fatter and weightier, but certainly strong. Weight aside (it's negligible because the bike is super light) I find my feet sit wider than I want and sometimes when landing after doing a foot off maneuver I end up standing on the crank which is not really a problem I run into riding MTB style cranks.

OK cool. It's my first DJ bike, so I haven't developed any personal preferences yet Smile

Can't wait for it to arrive. I'm mainly going to use it on the pump track this winter, but I think it will be fun to take out on the trails too, once the weather improves next year.

Posted: Nov 13, 2020 at 13:32 Quote
I’ve owned my 2020 Commencal since last November. I’ve had no creaking issues and wheels have been good overall. I’ve upgraded everything now out of pure want not need. I’d recommend the bike to anyone.

Posted: Nov 14, 2020 at 8:55 Quote
Ward127 wrote:
I’ve owned my 2020 Commencal since last November. I’ve had no creaking issues and wheels have been good overall. I’ve upgraded everything now out of pure want not need. I’d recommend the bike to anyone.

Care to share your build sheet on all the upgrades? I’m thinking of upgrading the hubs, my rear hub appears to be not right. It will occasionally slip or creak.

Posted: Nov 15, 2020 at 11:10 Quote
Deity bars 50mm rise, stem and pedals, spank wheels (going to upgrade to profile elite hubs) and marzocchi dj fork coming.

Posted: Nov 21, 2020 at 5:33 Quote
I picked up the Absolut last month and the green frame is pretty sweet. This bike is pretty darn light and seems lighter than my custom Subrosa BMX build...No scale to actually compare yet.

What I really liked about this build is that you can get different sizes whereas some of the other companies are one size fits all. What up with dat?

I am 5’8” and like the shorter reach of the medium for flick ability. The P2 And many of the other DJ frames have a longer reach than this one. After trying the P2 and the Absolute at Highlands, I liked the absolute much better for looks and more importantly ridability. That said, I am new to DJ, but riding for 30 yrs, so what do I know.

The cranks are burly and BMX rugged in style.

As for wheels I recall one was delivered slightly little untrue. Oh well, easy fix.

Comparing this bike with other builds, and availability, it seemed like a no brainer.

Enjoy!!

Posted: Nov 23, 2020 at 7:16 Quote
I'm absolutly loving mine so far! I've only ridden it to / from / on the local pump track a couple of times so far, but it's so much fun. I'm new to dirt jump bikes (and also pump tracks & jumping in general) and this bike feels like the perfect tool to learn some good core skills on.

Posted: Nov 24, 2020 at 23:49 Quote
Got my RS yesterday. Going from my trail bike it felt like I was riding a unicycle but after a couple of hours I got used to it.
I've got a whole weight weenie spreadsheet to get it pretty far below 10kg but it already feels like its going to float away.

Posted: Nov 25, 2020 at 1:22 Quote
Nice, would you care to share your planned upgrades? I've already replaced the bars with some NukeProof Horizon 38mm (which I will probably regret when I crash and they shatter) and the stem with a Nukeproof one I had lying around

The cranks are very basic but also incredibly stiff, so I'm reluctant to swap those out to save weight in case it results in a less sturdy bike. I guess wheels would be a sensible place to start with major upgrades, but again dirt jump wheels seem to be built for strength rather than weight saving, so maybe that's unnecessary unless I start sending huge jumps.

Posted: Nov 25, 2020 at 2:33 Quote
Well the crank was probably going to be the first thing I'd look at. I haven't weighed it but looking at other BMX cranks I'm guessing its about 900g. I was thinking a RaceFace Cinch with a 26t chain ring and a KMC K1 SL chain but I'm not sure about compatibility on the chain.

Just that and some nicer handlebars like Deity or Renthal should take it under 10kg. I weighed my bike and its 10.6kg now.

Going tubeless is also an option but not sure about it now. Could save 100g with a Magura MT8 brake and smaller rotor. Then theres things like foam grips, ti bolts, cutting bits of the bars and seat post. I've calculated I could get it to 9.5kg by doing absolutely everything possible.

All of this is just for fun, I am super happy with the bike as is.

Posted: Dec 1, 2020 at 2:36 Quote
Stupid question: would you also need to update the sprocket / freewheel if you changed to a singlespeed chain & narrow chainring? Presumably your chainline would also be off as a result?

I'm hoping someone else goes down this upgrade path before me so I don't have to expensively trial and error my way through loads of components to find the winning combination.

Posted: Dec 1, 2020 at 10:13 Quote
dndhm wrote:
Stupid question: would you also need to update the sprocket / freewheel if you changed to a singlespeed chain & narrow chainring? Presumably your chainline would also be off as a result?

I'm trying to find the answer to this too.

Well I've had it for a week and the left crank arm has come loose and the bottom bracket is already creaking. Bit annoying.

Posted: Dec 1, 2020 at 23:41 Quote
Does anyone know the max chain ring size and offset for the Absolut?
Just bought the silver frame and wanted to mount a SRAM GX Eagle DUB non-boost crankset with a 32t chain ring (6mm offset). The BB was mounted without spacers, just the 4.5mm between drive side crank arm and BB shell. In this configuration the chain ring rubs against the chainstay, very annoying! So... 32t and 3mm offset or 30t with 3mm offset? Would definitely prefer the 32t ring.

edit: Had the chance to try: 32t with 3mm Offset works just fine

Posted: Dec 5, 2020 at 11:06 Quote
I tried 60 psi for the first time today. Got 2 punctures in 2 hours Frown
I was riding the same spot and doing the same things I've been doing for the last 12 days at 40-50 psi.
I'm gonna give tubeless a go. It should be able to handle up to 40 psi right? Or can I go higher?

Posted: Dec 6, 2020 at 3:21 Quote
Just installed some Zee cranks on my 2021 absolut with 30t chain ring.
To maintain a good ratio,I need to change the 11t NOVATEC rear sproket to a 13 one. I didn't find any way to dismount this sproket so I tried to found a new novatec free hub body with a 13 sproket but without sucess. Eek

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.006973
Mobile Version of Website