Commencal Absolute, what gives?

PB Forum :: Dirt Jumping & Street
Commencal Absolute, what gives?
O+ FL
Posted: Dec 12, 2020 at 11:01 Quote
I got the 2021 Absolut in sand a few months back. I initially had problems with the headset loosening, but after tightening it down a couple times it’s be creak free. I also had trouble with the spokes on the rear wheel loosening up. That was surprising because i’m just not that hard on it. Mostly pumptrack sessions and small jumps. I’ve trued it back up and it’s been good so far.

On the crank question I think the main thing is that you want non-boost cranks to keep a good chain line.

I should also mention, that while i have had these small issues, i absolutely love the bike. I’m 6 feet tall and got the large and it’s a really great size. Much roomier than a lot of other dj bikes.

Posted: Dec 13, 2020 at 3:27 Quote
I’m replacing the cranks & bottom bracket on mine today if I can get the old cranks off. Tried a few days ago without an extractor tool and failed. Hopefully I can coax them off now I have the right tools.

I’m fully expecting something to not fit or line up, which usually happens when I start replacing parts, but hopefully the end result will be worth it.

O+ FL
Posted: Dec 13, 2020 at 19:32 Quote
JFonz wrote:
I have a 2021 Absolut that I’ve barely ridden. It has a front end creak when I turn or lean the bike to the left. I noticed a handful of spokes around the valve stem are loose. I’ve also noticed an odd creaking from the crank area but it’s intermittent, is this what I should expect with this bike or am I having freak issues?

I had this exact same thing, found out that half of the spokes were completely loose... literally every other spoke and completed loose... I mean like you could hear them rattling.
I expect its just a bad build by commencal, the second bike I've had from them with over 60% of the spokes coming loose.

I tightened them up and the creak went away and the wheels been fine since... not super impressed with the build quality.

Posted: Dec 14, 2020 at 12:29 Quote
dndhm wrote:
I’m replacing the cranks & bottom bracket on mine today if I can get the old cranks off. Tried a few days ago without an extractor tool and failed. Hopefully I can coax them off now I have the right tools.

I’m fully expecting something to not fit or line up, which usually happens when I start replacing parts, but hopefully the end result will be worth it.

With the right tool it will be so much easier, took me less than 5 min.
Do you know what crank you will be using to replace the old one ?

Posted: Dec 15, 2020 at 0:19 Quote
spitch wrote:

With the right tool it will be so much easier, took me less than 5 min.
Do you know what crank you will be using to replace the old one ?

Nothing too fancy. Race Face Atlas. I’m replacing the bottom bracket too so have to wait for a 36mm wrench to arrive before I can get the old one off. The chainring lock ring and new bottom bracket also require tools I don’t have, so I will have bought more tools than components for this bike by the time I’m finished!

The cranks popped right off with an extractor. Hopefully I didn’t damage anything trying to brute force them off before.

FL
Posted: Dec 16, 2020 at 1:22 Quote
For those who are searching, I used Park Tool's HCW-17 to remove the rear sprocket on my Absolut 2018 (Novatec hub)

Posted: Dec 18, 2020 at 5:27 Quote
Related dumb question:

What would be a good replacement freewheel sprocket that would be compatible with a narrow singlespeed chain? I went and replaced the crankset and I guess the cog that's on there is only compatible with BMX chains?

For what it's worth, the chainline looks fine with the Atlas crankset I put on there. It's just the chain / sprocket compatibility that's an issue.

Posted: Dec 18, 2020 at 10:27 Quote
The answer from Commencal was that there isn’t one, so I guess I’ll stick with a 1/8” chain for now.

Posted: Jan 29, 2021 at 1:09 Quote
I am interested in a question regarding the frame size. Is there anyone who is approximately 6 feet (183 cm) tall? What size is right for you for the frames of the 2020/2021 models? Especially for the pump track.

Posted: Jan 29, 2021 at 1:53 Quote
decaz wrote:
I am interested in a question regarding the frame size. Is there anyone who is approximately 6 feet (183 cm) tall? What size is right for you for the frames of the 2020/2021 models? Especially for the pump track.

I'm 6'3 and went for the Large. It doesn't feel as tiny as I feared it might (it's my first DJ bike). There was a guy at the pump track on a Medium last time I went who was about 6' tall and the bike looked like a good fit on him.

O+ FL
Posted: Jan 29, 2021 at 20:09 Quote
I'm 6' and went with a large, it fits great. Other dj bikes often feel a little cramped for me, the Absolute feels pretty much spot on.

Posted: Jan 30, 2021 at 15:54 Quote
I’m 6,3 as well, feels dialed on a large

Posted: Feb 1, 2021 at 13:20 Quote
Finished upgrading mine and its now at 9.7kg. That's with carbon crank, plastic pedals, light weight chain, tubeless tyres, deity highside bars, XTR 2 pot brake with 140mm rotor, titanium bolts and cutting down bars/seat post.

Posted: Feb 9, 2021 at 8:39 Quote
I am 6” I have ridden the large, it felt good I preferred a smaller frame and went with the medium and put 80mm bars and a 30mm stem and it fits me perfect.

Posted: Feb 10, 2021 at 9:36 Quote
I’m 6’ and ordered the large, hope it doesn’t feel like to much bike now..

Anybody know what the RS stands for on that build?

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.016733
Mobile Version of Website