Anyone ride Light Bicycle XC925 rims?

PB Forum :: 29ers
Anyone ride Light Bicycle XC925 rims?
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Nov 1, 2020 at 22:21 Quote
I am looking into a set of light weight wheels for my Epic Evo. I have looked into the Roval control wheels with DT 350 hubs and carbon ID25mm rims. They weight 1600 grams and cost $1100. For the same price I can get Light Bicycle XC 925 rims with DT 240exp hubs and the weight is 1270 grams, or at 1415 grams the AM927 rims with the same hubs at the same price. I’ve done quite a bit of research into Light Bicycle but I cannot find any real world info or experience on the XC925 rims. Mainly I wonder about the durability of the super light rims. I don’t do big jumps or bomb down hills and I’m lite at 145 pounds. I’m a XC rider but not racer and mostly I ride a mix of fire roads and single track.

Posted: Nov 12, 2020 at 11:49 Quote
Zguitar71 wrote:
I am looking into a set of light weight wheels for my Epic Evo. I have looked into the Roval control wheels with DT 350 hubs and carbon ID25mm rims. They weight 1600 grams and cost $1100. For the same price I can get Light Bicycle XC 925 rims with DT 240exp hubs and the weight is 1270 grams, or at 1415 grams the AM927 rims with the same hubs at the same price. I’ve done quite a bit of research into Light Bicycle but I cannot find any real world info or experience on the XC925 rims. Mainly I wonder about the durability of the super light rims. I don’t do big jumps or bomb down hills and I’m lite at 145 pounds. I’m a XC rider but not racer and mostly I ride a mix of fire roads and single track.

I've been running them for a few months with no issues here in AZ and extremely happy with them, I'm 145 lbs like you also so you should be fine and they are in my short travel bike so they don't get beat up, I have a long travel bike for that kind of riding. I'm using Project 321 hubs so not as light as your hubs but I like the high POE and silent pawls.

Posted: Nov 13, 2020 at 11:13 Quote
Good to know thanks Eviljarv. I was contemplating going with the standard on the the front instead of the flyweight.

Posted: Nov 15, 2020 at 13:24 Quote
Zguitar71 wrote:
Good to know thanks Eviljarv. I was contemplating going with the standard on the the front instead of the flyweight.

Yeah, that's what I did, standard front and rear since it's so rocky here, if I was building a race only set I would go with flyweight but for everyday I like the piece of mind of the standard

Posted: Nov 16, 2020 at 14:39 Quote
I run the AM930, which is just a slightly wider version of the AM927. They have been very durable.

I also have some ~315g rims from Carbonfan, which are a lower quality than the LB Recon Pro series. I managed to smash one, but it seems to have been a defect in the carbon, not the design (I got a replacement rim from Carbonfan).

I'm only 155lb, but I absolutely do bomb down hills and hit jumps. For someone who doesn't do those things, the XC925 sound perfect. They should be quite a bit stronger than my Carbonfan rims, and I've been beating on the replacement pretty hard without issue.

If you're not racing, I'd get the standard 360g rims. That's plenty light, and should be very durable.

What kind of pressures do you run? If you like a soft rear tire (20psi for a 2.4"), then a foam insert is well worth the weight. I'm waiting for the Tubolight Evo SL to be available on BikeInn. They are about 60g, if I recall correctly.

Posted: Nov 19, 2020 at 8:39 Quote
I play it pretty safe with PSI. I’m running 23 for the back tire. I could probably go less but and need to experiment with it more. Most of the mountains are shutdown from snow now for any real riding. I can still get on the trails and do, but with the very limited traction the speeds are too slow and impacts too small to ever worry about low pressure. I’ll need to get back on the psi experiment in the spring.

Posted: May 23, 2022 at 12:53 Quote
Auto-XFil wrote:
I run the AM930...

Hey sorry to resurrect an old thread, but how have your AM930s held up the past 2 years?

Previous Page | Next Page

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.006356
Mobile Version of Website