Fox Dpx2 vs X2

• Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Nov 4, 2020 at 14:24 Quote
Hi,I own a fox dpx2 performance on my yt capra comp 29 an i feel it really soft even at 300 psi. It never bottoms out though, but i don't have the support i expect from it and i'm starting to think the shock is defective. Should i try with the volume spacers (altough i know this will just gain the progressivity of the shock and won't help in the first part of the travel) or should i directly upgrade to an x2, which i think is more appropriate than a dpx2, considering that mine is a 165 mm travel enduro bike?

Posted: Nov 5, 2020 at 0:00 Quote
X2 will feel even plusher than a dpx2 though it might have more midstroke support due to the larger volume. Personally I would get a coil shock for the Capra, the suspension kinematics of a Capra are ideal for a coil and you will have great traction, comfort and better support in the midstroke. Plush coil shocks just look way cooler!!

O+
Posted: Nov 5, 2020 at 6:58 Quote
Former Capra owner here.

If you do anything with spacers, it should be removing them. That'll allow you to make better use of the total travel at a higher pressure.

The Float X2 will help, but so will any 4-way damper shock. Basically, you'll end up adding a bunch of LSC and some HSC and that'll get you there.

It's also worth noting that the Capra is an absolute monster and unless you're in the bike park there's really no reason to use more than 85% travel. With that in mind, if you're cruising around blue and black trails using full-ish travel every ride, there's a good chance you're just under pressured.

Posted: Nov 7, 2020 at 13:07 Quote
https://youtu.be/Yqy2CMyYW9M
I’ve got the DPX2 Evol and I love it. It’s bottoming out on hits like the one in the vid but not otherwise. Have you fiddled with the settings? The LSC and rebound setting makes a big difference.

Different strokes and different bikes but I’ve got mine set up @ 260psi (26% sag)
LSC fully open, Rebound -5 från slow.
If you want more support I’d add LSC and speed up the rebound. That will make it run higher up in the stroke.

Posted: Dec 17, 2020 at 4:03 Quote
ok thanks everyone for the advice.

Posted: Dec 17, 2020 at 17:04 Quote
fabiodelvigo wrote:
Hi,I own a fox dpx2 performance on my yt capra comp 29 an i feel it really soft even at 300 psi. It never bottoms out though, but i don't have the support i expect from it

How much do you weigh? It looks like 300psi is the max pressure setting for the dpx2. If you're a bigger guy I wouldn't hesitate to add some volume spacers. If you're not bottoming the shock though and you're just experiencing a lot of pedal bob it could just be the suspension design. I've never ridden a capra but have heard that they have a fair bit of pedal bob to them.

zsandstrom wrote:
If you do anything with spacers, it should be removing them. That'll allow you to make better use of the total travel at a higher pressure.

While I'm mostly on your side with this it's not entirely true. To your point some people try to get a suppler feel out of either the fork or shock by lowering pressure, opening up LSC and increasing tokens. Doing this means you're basically using the air spring to do the job of a damper which will never be great.

So generally speaking yes a little more pressure and one less token can be an improvement, but volume spacers exist for a reason. When I put a megneg air can on the super deluxe for my Bronson V3 I had to figure out my settings all over. What I decided to do was to try to find the correct pressure with zero tokens and go from there. Tried 265 psi and it was like riding with the suspension locked out. Dropped it down to 255 psi and it felt great but was bottoming out constantly. Tried a bit more LSC but the shock felt terrible in any kind of chatter. Tried it with 1 volume spacer, and ended up adding a second one. So as you can see for my setup increasing psi and reducing tokens would not be the right solution.

Tokens are basically a band-aid for the fact that the shock needs to work for a wide range of rider weights. Heavier riders (I'm 200 lbs) are absolutely going to need to use tokens to get the right feel.

Posted: Dec 18, 2020 at 0:04 Quote
what this is all weird and has nothing to do with rider weight. Or at least very little as the slightly lower pressure will alter the rebound speed when the rebound damping is not touched.
Tokens are here to change the characteristics of the air spring and with the original posters question where it lacks support but he is not bottoming out removing tokens is clearly the way to go.

The Capra is a really progressive bike and if you are not a really agressive rider you will have a hard time using the last couple mm of travel. Don't sweat it too much and focus on setting up the travel you use as best as you can.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.010212
Mobile Version of Website