Chris King vs Industry Nine Hubs

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Chris King vs Industry Nine Hubs
Posted: Apr 30, 2021 at 15:27 Quote
Just pulled the trigger on some WA1 unions laced to hydras. How real is this bearing issue, and why not just replace with higher quality bearings when the OEM ones go?

I’d think a set of ceramics and some adequate greasing would go a long way?

That being said, I ride dry, hard pack and sandstone (Utah) and have never had a hub fail or require service.

Posted: Apr 30, 2021 at 20:18 Quote
Running WAO Unions laced to Chris King’s for the past year. They are definitely on the quiet side which I really love. I’ve already had to replace the rear rim due to a big impact and everything including bearings are still smooth as the first day I got them. No regerts

Posted: May 1, 2021 at 5:12 Quote
Dr-YTMTB wrote:
Just pulled the trigger on some WA1 unions laced to hydras. How real is this bearing issue, and why not just replace with higher quality bearings when the OEM ones go?

That being said, I ride dry, hard pack and sandstone (Utah) and have never had a hub fail or require service.

I think it is less an issue than protrayed. The internet seems to amplify issues to appear bigger than they are. The Hydras are nice.

O+
Posted: May 1, 2021 at 10:09 Quote
gmoss wrote:
Dr-YTMTB wrote:

I think it is less an issue than protrayed. The internet seems to amplify issues to appear bigger than they are. The Hydras are nice.

Hmm I live in California and I don't wash my bike.
I toast a bearing in my torches every 3 or 4 months.

I have a hydra as well
I can't think of any hub with more drag

Posted: May 1, 2021 at 10:22 Quote
Your mileage may vary. I have had a few sets and currently have 2, have never had to replace bearings. I do wash my bike. You may be onto something. ; )

Posted: May 1, 2021 at 11:07 Quote
Maybe that’s what it’s down to. I am careful about washing after rides, and I do keep my bike in good repair at all times.

But I’m 4seasons in on a cheap OEM E13 TRS wheelset, that’s always had a touch of play in the rear wheel, and the bearings still run smooth

Posted: May 1, 2021 at 11:15 Quote
My Carbon Ti's are great, fantastic hubs but if I was going highish engagement it would be Kings, when you see the quality of King parts in person they are machined and anodized to perfection..they are like a fine swiss watch. I had Onyx on the last bike and when they worked they work great, but they are heavy as hell, anodizing is poor and reliability is bad too. Dream hub would be Carbon Ti weight, straight pull, carbon Ti or better King quality and instant engagent and silent. Unfortunately atm we can't have it all so you pick what compromises you are willing to make, Carbon Ti would be engagement, I9 would be reliability and drag, Kings would be not the fastest engagement and not the lightest.. Onyx would be far too much issues and weight to be worth the cost.

O+
Posted: May 1, 2021 at 11:25 Quote
Dr-YTMTB wrote:
Maybe that’s what it’s down to. I am careful about washing after rides, and I do keep my bike in good repair at all times.
Yeah bro additional water is proven to be beneficial for bearings.

@.@

Your actually not in any way helping any bearing on your bike with a hose.
And a pressure washer is downright torture.

Posted: May 1, 2021 at 15:49 Quote
englertracing wrote:
Dr-YTMTB wrote:
Yeah bro additional water is proven to be beneficial for bearings.

@.@

Your actually not in any way helping any bearing on your bike with a hose.
And a pressure washer is downright torture.

I hear ya, but I’ve still never had one go bad, so I guess I’ll just keep cleaning after rides.

O+
Posted: May 1, 2021 at 17:02 Quote
I suspect the i9 bearings are just average. The problem is when you compare them to king hubs that have bearings that somehow last 10 years, the i9 bearings look kind of shitty. Just buy another set every year or two and the hubs will probably run fine.

Has anyone had trouble with the freehub yet? I understand it engages with one Pawl and through flex, more engage. Seems like something that is destined to break.

O+
Posted: May 5, 2021 at 18:33 Quote
rahrider wrote:
I suspect the i9 bearings are just average. The problem is when you compare them to king hubs that have bearings that somehow last 10 years, the i9 bearings look kind of shitty. Just buy another set every year or two and the hubs will probably run fine.

Has anyone had trouble with the freehub yet? I understand it engages with one Pawl and through flex, more engage. Seems like something that is destined to break.

Watch a video showing the wing flex on a B-52 Wink

O+
Posted: May 5, 2021 at 22:01 Quote
rahrider wrote:

They come with "enduro" bearings which are a mid tier Chinese brand.
Which is quite low tier compared to NTN

Posted: May 6, 2021 at 9:13 Quote
What’s the difference between i9 torch and hydra?

O+
Posted: May 6, 2021 at 9:28 Quote
anothermtnbiker wrote:
What’s the difference between i9 torch and hydra?

well,
I have both
In the case of a center lock 28h straight pull that I9 supplies to reynolds wheels.
the hubshells are the same, the drivering threads are the same, therefore the drive rings are interchangeable
the non drive side bearing is the same, the axle and drive side bearing are different.
the hydra freehub has 4 bearings instead of 3. and the drive ring has more teeth.

Posted: May 6, 2021 at 10:03 Quote
63expert wrote:
Glad to read this thread and find out the $1550 Enduro 305 wheelset on the way to me is shit
If you don't want the wheelset I'll take it!Big Grin

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.016358
Mobile Version of Website