Chris King vs Industry Nine Hubs

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Chris King vs Industry Nine Hubs
FL
Posted: May 6, 2021 at 18:37 Quote
anothermtnbiker wrote:
What’s the difference between i9 torch and hydra?
hydra uses deformation under load to create near instantaneous engagement. Torch has a more pedestrian 120poe vs whatever farcical number hydra is. Also torch isn’t available anymore. The current 101 isn’t far off of torch though. Other than that they are very similar.

O+
Posted: Nov 8, 2021 at 21:04 Quote
I'm also looking at the Hydras and the CK. I currently have an old pair of CK which I love. I love working on them and I love how they work.

I have read some great comments and lots of food for thought. I think after reading every comment on this post I have a couple of things to add.

First, you don't need the CK tool, as sexy as it is. I service my hubs pretty regularly and have had the hubs for 13 years. What I love about the CK's is the fact that you can add lube to the bearings and learn them pretty easily with just a few tools. I wash my bike and even from time to time used a pressure washer. Of course, I don't just spray the crap out of the hubs or any bearings for that mater. The only thing I have had to replace on the hubs is the drive shell as it's aluminum and it gave up the ghost.

I honestly have never noticed the engagement being an issue. I have ridden other wheels and cant say that that is an issue for me.

Thanks for all the comments and its helped me make up my mind, or should I say confirmed what I already decided.

Posted: Nov 11, 2021 at 8:10 Quote
wllmd wrote:
Explodo wrote:
The difference in sound between older and newer CKs is quite large.
Old CK hubs are loud.
My brand new CK hubs are not loud at all. They're so quiet that I can't even hear them over my High Roller IIs.

Old CKs and my I9s(torch) are about the same loudness with a different tone.

Yeah my new CK is nothing like my hydras in sound. My hydras are annoying me now.

I've got i9 torch hubs - if you use the grease on the drive ring instead of the oil, they're close to silent when riding. The silent won't last forever (a few weeks?), but I've had them quieter than the tires, leaves, and creaks of my full sus santa cruz.

An option if you have the hubs already, if you really want quieter hubs, i9 probably isn't your bag.

Posted: Nov 11, 2021 at 8:15 Quote
englertracing wrote:
gmoss wrote:
Dr-YTMTB wrote:
Just pulled the trigger on some WA1 unions laced to hydras. How real is this bearing issue, and why not just replace with higher quality bearings when the OEM ones go?

I’d think a set of ceramics and some adequate greasing would go a long way?

That being said, I ride dry, hard pack and sandstone (Utah) and have never had a hub fail or require service.

I think it is less an issue than protrayed. The internet seems to amplify issues to appear bigger than they are. The Hydras are nice.

Hmm I live in California and I don't wash my bike.
I toast a bearing in my torches every 3 or 4 months.

I have a hydra as well
I can't think of any hub with more drag

That's nuts that you're eating through bearings that often. I've had a set I bought used for 18 months, and had to replace 1 bearing when I screwed up reassembly when cleaning the freehub while swapping out a cassette. (the teflon seal broke, I jimmied it to work, but it drug through the bearing seal below and hosed the bearing).

Honest question - why keep up with the i9s then? Between down time, bearing costs (~$10-15 apiece), and potential shop costs (if not DIY), then sell used and get something that works better for you.

O+
Posted: Nov 12, 2021 at 11:51 Quote
Stickey1048 wrote:
englertracing wrote:
gmoss wrote:

I think it is less an issue than protrayed. The internet seems to amplify issues to appear bigger than they are. The Hydras are nice.

Hmm I live in California and I don't wash my bike.
I toast a bearing in my torches every 3 or 4 months.

I have a hydra as well
I can't think of any hub with more drag

That's nuts that you're eating through bearings that often. I've had a set I bought used for 18 months, and had to replace 1 bearing when I screwed up reassembly when cleaning the freehub while swapping out a cassette. (the teflon seal broke, I jimmied it to work, but it drug through the bearing seal below and hosed the bearing).

Honest question - why keep up with the i9s then? Between down time, bearing costs (~$10-15 apiece), and potential shop costs (if not DIY), then sell used and get something that works better for you.

Lol shop costs.
They have been ok this summer.
I haven't been riding my spot with a dozen creek crossings.

I'm stuck with them man.
I've got reynolds wheels and they use i9.
Bought them new with the bike and therefore I'm stuck with the hubs...

Don't expect winter will be great .
For winter I've resorted to using llu seals on the brake side bearing with an llb seal facing inward.
On the freehub side of the hub I still use llb.
On the inboard freehub bearings more llb, outboard an llu on the outer side and an llb seal facing in.

I'm not a proponent of prying shields off but an llu is pretty dragging, so ill pry off the llu and put an llb on the inside so that the "compromised" seal is facing inward while the factory fresh llb is out.

This has lasted the longest so far.
Re them being annoying sounding with a project 321 driver and drive ring I'm pretty pleased with their lack of noise

Here's how they usually look inside.
I use aluminum complex grease (waterproof grease) glomped in the hub before the bearing goes in and on the axle to create a barrier.
https://m.pinkbike.com/photo/21633364/
https://m.pinkbike.com/photo/21633366/
Mind you I certainly don't pressure wash,
This is probably 500 miles....

Posted: Nov 12, 2021 at 16:50 Quote
I used to plow my kings through deep sandy water and they're still good...I don't much get that where I live now...same hubs though.

Posted: Nov 14, 2021 at 23:17 Quote
I have i9 Hydras. Which bearings would be the best as replacement bearings?

Posted: Nov 15, 2021 at 1:05 Quote
BikeFundi wrote:
I have i9 Hydras. Which bearings would be the best as replacement bearings?

Everyone has their favourite bearings, mine are NTN. They all basically work the same as they are governed by the same body.

O+
Posted: Nov 22, 2021 at 6:15 Quote
Just wanted to put in my experience with some i9 Hydras. When the rear hub is functional...I really like it. I like the almost instantaneous engagement (can feel the 5deg difference between it and my other wheelset with a DT350 54t), sound and weight (I'm a fatty) don't mean anything to me. That being said, I'm a bigger rider (240ish with loaded pack) who rides hard in steep rocky terrain (Phoenix SoMo, Sedona, Moab mainly)...my wheel is now in for the 4th time for warranty work since being built in April 2020. The drive side keeps separating under high torque and basically exploding the innards. Although a lifetime warranty is nice, and they are fixing it for free via my LBS...it's a PITA to have your wheelset out of commission for 4-6weeks every 4 months or so. In talking to my LBS owner, he's told me that i9 has been having a lot of issues with riders over 200lbs who actually ride and climb hard.

I will be either selling this hub off, or having it as a backup going forward. I will be getting either a CK or Onyx...leaning more towards the Onyx

O+
Posted: Nov 22, 2021 at 12:39 Quote
IamHimeros wrote:
Just wanted to put in my experience with some i9 Hydras. When the rear hub is functional...I really like it. I like the almost instantaneous engagement (can feel the 5deg difference between it and my other wheelset with a DT350 54t), sound and weight (I'm a fatty) don't mean anything to me. That being said, I'm a bigger rider (240ish with loaded pack) who rides hard in steep rocky terrain (Phoenix SoMo, Sedona, Moab mainly)...my wheel is now in for the 4th time for warranty work since being built in April 2020. The drive side keeps separating under high torque and basically exploding the innards. Although a lifetime warranty is nice, and they are fixing it for free via my LBS...it's a PITA to have your wheelset out of commission for 4-6weeks every 4 months or so. In talking to my LBS owner, he's told me that i9 has been having a lot of issues with riders over 200lbs who actually ride and climb hard.

I will be either selling this hub off, or having it as a backup going forward. I will be getting either a CK or Onyx...leaning more towards the Onyx

I hear several people who had issues with onyx. Especially big guys…

Posted: Nov 22, 2021 at 20:25 Quote
Go Chris king and be done with it. They get better as they get older. How good is that

Posted: Feb 11, 2022 at 11:28 Quote
Sharing my experience with CKs vs I9 Hydras.

I have been using CK since 2000 on two bikes and only had one issue after almost 10 years on a Disco Tech where the housing and bearing developed a slight play that the pre-load couldn't fix. Called CK and they asked to send them the hub, spoke with Holly. I unlaced the rear hub and send to CK. Received a call that the bearing was still good but 10 years of abuse (Downieville, Tahoe, Skeggs, Demo, Moab, Fruita...) had developed a little play between the hub and bearing... CK fixed the hub, no questions asked, added new bearings, o-rings... and send back at NO $$$ charge... mind you that it was 10 years old at this point... I then sold the Disco Techs and upgraded to Iso and rode those from 2010 - 2019 where I swapped to boost frames and decided to go 12s, so now riding a Ripley and a Ripmo from Ibis and decided to try the I9 Hydras on my Ripley.
I9 Hydras - I really like the engagements, amazing and the little extra drag didn't bother me, they are slightly lighter but not noticeable on the trails. Resale value on the Kings are amazing by the way, the quality is simply the best on the market!
After 6-800 miles on the Hydra's riding here in Northern Cal, a bit of a play started and man do I miss the CK pre-load adjusting cone, there is no way to tighten the I9s, very disappointed with that, should have researched first... aarrgghhh, so need new bearings the 61804 LLU and the 15307A5 needs replaced, ordered a full kit and waiting! Since we do ride in the wet, I also noticed there was quite a bit of water inside the hub and rust forming on the bearings, which I never saw on CKs. Maintenance on CK is really easy and if done every 6-8 months, removing the drive, clean and re-grease, the bearings last forever... I bought the CK bearing tool, but never needed it for the CKs and use it for other press fit when needed, had a 2014 Ripley that had press-fit BB so that was helpful and the early Ripleys had severe bearing issues (needed to replace Enduro bearings every 4-6 months or they creaked like an old... Ibis fixed by going bushing in the new V4, thank you Ibis it is awesome!

So after less than a year on the I9 Hydra and need new bearings is a bit of a turn-off, will see how long they last and I will probably swap them back to CK next time I need to replace the bearings.

The I9s are also very loud unless greasing the engagement ring and prawls every 6-8 weeks!

I do my own lacing... growing up a bike mechanic kid is benefitting me nowWink

O+
Posted: Feb 11, 2022 at 16:21 Quote
Hope you didn't order enduro bearings
What you want is NTN LLB

Posted: Feb 14, 2022 at 8:10 Quote
anothermtnbiker wrote:
What’s the difference between i9 torch and hydra?
Primarily points of engagement. Torch is 120, Hydra is 690. They may have different bearing setups as well, but if you want the buzziest of all, it's the i9 hydra.

The torch may also no longer be sold (it's not on the i9 website). Hydra and 1/1 (similar to torch, 90 poe, and black only) only listed.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.019739
Mobile Version of Website