Shigura brakes

Posted: Apr 26, 2021 at 12:26 Quote
Soupherb wrote:
Wolftooth shiftmounts
Thank you sir. Another £65 added to the bike total.

Posted: May 22, 2021 at 20:14 Quote
Does anyone have any ideas about running Magura Calipers on Shimano Master Cylinders?
Thanks,
Franken-Bike

Posted: Jun 18, 2021 at 6:28 Quote
XTR levers are finally on. Broke another magura lever a couple of weeks ago on a tree, the XTR levers were already ordered so only had to wait a week for my LBS to fit them. That's three levers and two lever assemblies in 18 months. XTR levers feel so much better, just a quality product. Kinda wish I had just gone for XTR four pots 18 months ago and not bothered with maguras at all.

I've got a PNW load lever on order as wolftooth said they don't make a clamp for shimano to ks lev but I think the shimano ev to sram shifter will work. Got one of them on the way so may order another and send the loam lever back.

Posted: Jun 18, 2021 at 16:35 Quote
Broke a MT7 Pro mc last weekend. Had some SLX (M7000) levers in the parts bin, so decided to check out this Shigura hype.

Used:
MT5 caliper, banjo, hose, barb, fluid
Shimano mc, lever, olive, compression nut

The initial feel is good, gonna test them at Windrock tomorrow.

Posted: Jul 11, 2021 at 10:34 Quote
SmashiusJones wrote:
Broke a MT7 Pro mc last weekend. Had some SLX (M7000) levers in the parts bin, so decided to check out this Shigura hype.

Used:

Can you tell me how the modulation feels?
Is it 0-1 like in the standard shimano caliper and lever?

Posted: Jul 11, 2021 at 14:47 Quote
The modulation is a bit better than Shimano, but be warned if you pull the lever in panic downhill you're going over the bars, I had to emergency brake today and overcooked it and mashed my nuts on the top tube... But overall as long as you are in control they have enough modulation, but any panic braking, expect full lockup at any speed on any terrain.

Posted: Jul 11, 2021 at 21:28 Quote
Just got back from a4 day trip to Colorado. Went to Aspen and Vail bike parks. My xtr 9020’s with mt5 Estops were EFFN AMAZING. Was running 203/180 rotors with a mix of performance race/Trickstuff pads for the front and Magura performance pads in the back. I did notice the rear lever firming up in longer pulls but didn’t notice any performance loss with it. This combo is without a doubt the only combo I’ll ever run again. Zero issues and consistent power in heavy sustained braking. What more can you ask for?

Posted: Jul 13, 2021 at 4:10 Quote
Kamson wrote:
SmashiusJones wrote:

Used:

Can you tell me how the modulation feels?
Is it 0-1 like in the standard shimano caliper and lever?

I agree with the two posts above this one. Esp @Danzzz88.

Posted: Jul 13, 2021 at 14:03 Quote
I've read that someone had a problem, with an oil leak because he used shimano olive. What olive do you guys recommend using ? Shimano or magura?

Posted: Jul 13, 2021 at 17:20 Quote
Kamson wrote:
I've read that someone had a problem, with an oil leak because he used shimano olive. What olive do you guys recommend using ? Shimano or magura?
I used shimano olive and barb

Posted: Jul 30, 2021 at 2:36 Quote
Danzzz88 wrote:
Oh and really you need to run the 2mm Magura rotors according to Magura, most others are 1.8 and I have seen photos when the pads have been worn right to the bottom with thinner rotors that the pad backplate potrudes so much that it gets lodged in the centre slot of the caliper and will jam the disc up. I am using the storm hc rotor and getting tons of power and little to no noise, you could get away running other 1.8mm rotors but just don't let the pads wear down too much.
I use 1.8mm hope rotors because the storm hc rotors sat too close to the pads so they squeaked without even pulling the lever in dry conditions with metallic pads, I’m suprised I haven’t noticed a single difference in power/lever throw, they perform perfectly and look cooler so I wouldn’t say 2mm rotors are essential particularly in dry conditions with metallic pads plus hc rotors have an extremely irritating juddering noise/ feeling when you pull them hard at a decent speed, I’d actually recommend not using Magura rotors for that reason

Posted: Jul 30, 2021 at 3:46 Quote
Flyingbagel532 wrote:
Danzzz88 wrote:
Oh and really you need to run the 2mm Magura rotors according to Magura, most others are 1.8 and I have seen photos when the pads have been worn right to the bottom with thinner rotors that the pad backplate potrudes so much that it gets lodged in the centre slot of the caliper and will jam the disc up. I am using the storm hc rotor and getting tons of power and little to no noise, you could get away running other 1.8mm rotors but just don't let the pads wear down too much.
I use 1.8mm hope rotors because the storm hc rotors sat too close to the pads so they squeaked without even pulling the lever in dry conditions with metallic pads, I’m suprised I haven’t noticed a single difference in power/lever throw, they perform perfectly and look cooler so I wouldn’t say 2mm rotors are essential particularly in dry conditions with metallic pads plus hc rotors have an extremely irritating juddering noise/ feeling when you pull them hard at a decent speed, I’d actually recommend not using Magura rotors for that reason

Haven’t experienced any of those issues. Those symptoms are all user error it sounds like.

Posted: Jul 30, 2021 at 6:10 Quote
Strong chance it's because he didn't set up the calipers tge way I recommended..they definitely don't rub or squeak when set up correctly provided your rotors are not bent. Regarding the judder I think he is reffering to feeling the cut outs in the rotor, personally I like that about these brakes as it gives more tactile feedback of how much brake you are applying. Regarding the thinner rotors, all I can say is when I fitted 1.8mm UBER finned rotors there was definitely more lever throw, why I don't know, but I tested this back to back twice on both the front and rear and got the same results...in addition to much reduced power and a more slippery vague rotor feel I went straight back to the Storm HC's, they just work, they aren't heavy and they are cheap. Shimano Ice tech rotors are also decent but I don't think will play well with the Shiguras, again due to the thinner thickness.

If your pads are rubbing the discs, check the rotors are 100% flat, then follow the method described to tighten the caliper bolts. Though it sounds like you are happy with the brakes and your current rotors as is so I guess maybe there is no reason too if it's working for you with the Hopes. I had Hope rotors on my previous bike, they look nice, though they were the thicker 3mm rotors, trouble with them was the clicking sound you would occasionaly get where the rivets fasten the rotor to the spider. They are too thick for Shiguras anyway and personally I think the Magura rotors offer perfect bite and feel.

Posted: Jul 30, 2021 at 7:08 Quote
Danzzz88 wrote:
Strong chance it's because he didn't set up the calipers tge way I recommended..they definitely don't rub or squeak when set up correctly provided your rotors are not bent. Regarding the judder I think he is reffering to feeling the cut outs in the rotor, personally I like that about these brakes as it gives more tactile feedback of how much brake you are applying. Regarding the thinner rotors, all I can say is when I fitted 1.8mm UBER finned rotors there was definitely more lever throw, why I don't know, but I tested this back to back twice on both the front and rear and got the same results...in addition to much reduced power and a more slippery vague rotor feel I went straight back to the Storm HC's, they just work, they aren't heavy and they are cheap. Shimano Ice tech rotors are also decent but I don't think will play well with the Shiguras, again due to the thinner thickness.

If your pads are rubbing the discs, check the rotors are 100% flat, then follow the method described to tighten the caliper bolts. Though it sounds like you are happy with the brakes and your current rotors as is so I guess maybe there is no reason too if it's working for you with the Hopes. I had Hope rotors on my previous bike, they look nice, though they were the thicker 3mm rotors, trouble with them was the clicking sound you would occasionaly get where the rivets fasten the rotor to the spider. They are too thick for Shiguras anyway and personally I think the Magura rotors offer perfect bite and feel.

I agree with everything you just said but also wanna mention there’s a chance he didn’t bed the brakes in properly and that’s why he’s getting the “judders” when on the brakes.

Also Danzz have you checked out this website http://brake-stuff.de/
They have some interesting rotor designs with varying thickness to choose from. They also mention what calipers are compatible. Thoughts? I’m going to try some when I replace my Storms

O+
Posted: Aug 5, 2021 at 23:26 Quote
gnarcissistictendency wrote:
Danzzz88 wrote:

I agree with everything you just said but also wanna mention there’s a chance he didn’t bed the brakes in properly and that’s why he’s getting the “judders” when on the brakes.

Also Danzz have you checked out this website http://brake-stuff.de/
They have some interesting rotor designs with varying thickness to choose from. They also mention what calipers are compatible. Thoughts? I’m going to try some when I replace my Storms

I run a 223mm brake-stuff Punchdisc with 2.3mm thickness in the front. Works great and together with the magura Sport pads the breaking power is fantastic for me as a 100kg heavy rider.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.012616
Mobile Version of Website