Shigura brakes

Posted: Sep 23, 2021 at 19:23 Quote
Yeah , that method worked for me as well before . I use Magura mounting brackets and no spacers at all and it is fairly easy to align , I remember with spacers it was impossible to have it straight so it wouldn’t rub.

Posted: Sep 24, 2021 at 1:40 Quote
Thanks for the tips. I successfully aligned the front yesterday, loosened both bolts just a bit, kept pulling the levers and kept adjusting the caliper side to side until the pads wouldn't bend the rotors. No rub (we'll see how long that'll last).
Couldn't get the back perfect tho, i'll try the suggested method.

The bike is a month old and it's been like this since day one, I doubt something is wrong with both calipers, but anything is possible. The pad clearance is the tightest i've seen for sure.

Posted: Sep 24, 2021 at 11:39 Quote
I've found it all depends on how much you undo the bolts. Needs to be just enough for the caliper to move when the lever is pulled. If i undo them too much it doesn't seem to work. I found it works better by not putting anything in between the pad and caliper. Then when you tighten the bolts do each one a little bit at a time, don't tighten one fully then the other.

Also check your disc bolts are tight.

Posted: Sep 24, 2021 at 14:04 Quote
1.) Check rotors are completely flat.

2.) Loosen bolts a few turns until caliper is free to move.

3.) Pull lever lightly until contact with mild clamping force.

4.) Grab caliper with hand and wiggle it side to side to even out the pistons. Repeat this once or twice.

5.) Slowly release lever until pads are not contacting, then slowly pull lever again and build up to high force.

6.) While lever is held under force use other hand to slowly pinch up the bolts alternating each one a bit at a time until caliper is firmly fixed.

7.) If you are fussed about torque settings, torque bolts with torque wrench.

If none of the above works then you mostly likely have warped rotors, less likely a caliper fault eg sticky pistons and least likely your post mounts, adapter or hubs have shit tolerance and you're out of luck without replacing one or more of the above.

People have successfully used 2.4mm thick rotors with no rub so 2mm Storm HC's should be a none issue if set up correctly.

Posted: Sep 24, 2021 at 23:14 Quote
I hacked my calipers hayes style and alignment isn't an issue any more. You also find that caliper tends to move with the twisting motion of the bolt/washer no matter how slow you turn the hex key

Posted: Sep 25, 2021 at 5:15 Quote
Thanks everyone, I may have done it! Drool

Any recommendations for sintered pads in the MT7 style? I could only find two options so far from Sixpack Racing and Kool Stop.
Or is there a good reason why I barely see any sintered pads for these things? (Might be just my google-ing skills tho)
The race pads are not sintered, right?

Posted: Sep 25, 2021 at 6:14 Quote
HollyBoni wrote:
Thanks everyone, I may have done it! Drool

Any recommendations for sintered pads in the MT7 style? I could only find two options so far from Sixpack Racing and Kool Stop.
Or is there a good reason why I barely see any sintered pads for these things? (Might be just my google-ing skills tho)
The race pads are not sintered, right?

I always go MTX for pads, the Gold.

Posted: Sep 25, 2021 at 6:21 Quote
galfer pads, the red ones.

Posted: Sep 25, 2021 at 8:02 Quote
patsharp wrote:
Magura don't give much clearance and I struggled.to align mine. Eventually I found that pulling the lever and wiggling the caliper around a bit before tightening bolts did the trick. It feels wrong doing it but it go with it. I Read about it on this forum and it worked perfectly.

Cab you elaborate a bit? Mine have been driving me crazy!

Posted: Sep 25, 2021 at 8:59 Quote
SmashiusJones wrote:

I always go MTX for pads, the Gold.

nullzwo wrote:
galfer pads, the red ones.

Neither of these are sintered, right? Never had sintered pads, not sure if i'll actually like them, I just really want to try them. Smile

Posted: Sep 25, 2021 at 10:31 Quote
HollyBoni wrote:
Neither of these are sintered, right? Never had sintered pads, not sure if i'll actually like them, I just really want to try them. Smile

Right. The MTX are like a mix of ceramic and kevlar or something.

Posted: Sep 25, 2021 at 13:37 Quote
galfer says, their red pads are "semi-metallic" whatever that means.

Posted: Sep 25, 2021 at 15:52 Quote
militantmandy wrote:
patsharp wrote:
Magura don't give much clearance and I struggled.to align mine. Eventually I found that pulling the lever and wiggling the caliper around a bit before tightening bolts did the trick. It feels wrong doing it but it go with it. I Read about it on this forum and it worked perfectly.

Loosen caliper mount bolts, squeeze lever so caliper grips rotor. Wiggle the caliper around on the rotor. do this a couple of times. Then tighten the bolts (with the lever still engaged) and you should have a perfectly aligned caliper. I don't know why but it works every time.

Posted: Sep 25, 2021 at 22:58 Quote
patsharp wrote:
militantmandy wrote:
patsharp wrote:

Loosen caliper mount bolts, squeeze lever so caliper grips rotor. Wiggle the caliper around on the rotor. do this a couple of times. Then tighten the bolts (with the lever still engaged) and you should have a perfectly aligned caliper. I don't know why but it works every time.

Thank you man. I will definitely try this. I love the performance of the Maguras, but they do have their foibles!

Posted: Sep 26, 2021 at 7:17 Quote
Ordered the Deore levers and Shimano olives. These barbs/pins came with my Magura bleed kit, are they the correct ones? Never seen barbs with threads before.

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.006668
Mobile Version of Website