Shigura brakes

Posted: May 16, 2022 at 15:21 Quote
reidobi wrote:
Danzzz88 wrote:
cliffdog wrote:
So are people recommending XT / SLX / XTR levers over Saint / Zee?

Also, does the freestroke issues of saints (floaty bite point) come into play when linked up to MT7 / 5 calipers?

Finally, if I were to buy two calipers, do they comes with hoses do people know?

Cheers

Saint and Zee don't have servowave, so have a more linear feel and less ultimate power.. XT or XTR is what I would pick and use personally.

My 2018 M820 Saints have Servo Wave (and the floaty bite point). Have they omitted it from later models?

Idk on the shimano website it says they do

Posted: May 16, 2022 at 16:13 Quote
have saint, can confirm no floating bite point.

Posted: May 29, 2022 at 4:30 Quote
Changed the pads today. Wore them down pretty thin, and i've done a few "lever bleeds" with the pads in to shorten the lever throw as much as possible, so there wasn't enough space for expansion in the system for the new pads. Popped the funnel on the levers, pushed back the pistons, all good.
Interestingly the rear pads went first. The fluid was pretty dirty at the back even after just ~half a year, at the front it was clean.
Interested to see how the purple Galfers will perform. Left the original pads in at the front, they still have a few laps in them, and this way I can feel the difference between the two.

Oh and beware, alcohol comlpetely dissolves the paint on Galfer pads... Big Grin

Posted: Jun 15, 2022 at 0:24 Quote
So I think my rear lever is leaking (Deore M6100). Looks like oil is seeping out from the threads of that bolt/nut thingy under the rubber cover. Tried to tighten it more but didn't help. Should I try a new olive and insert?

BTW liking the Galfer purple pads so far. Great power, they feel a bit harder and smoother than the Magura performance pads. Right now they are making some high pitch squeaking noises, but that could be a setup issue etc. I also gave the brakes a beating on some super steep trails the past two rides.
Curious to see how long they are going to last. If they last longer than the P pads then i'm sold.

Posted: Jun 15, 2022 at 19:13 Quote
Yes once you feel you are tight to the point that you shouldn't risk another turn try a new barb and olive.

Posted: Jun 16, 2022 at 3:05 Quote
A06 wrote:
Yes once you feel you are tight to the point that you shouldn't risk another turn try a new barb and olive.

Tightened it just a bit more, we'll see what happens. Annoyingly the bike shops near me don't have this olive so i'll have to order like a $1 part online...
But the rear needs a full bleed anyways because the fluid is so dirty.

Posted: Jun 18, 2022 at 1:28 Quote
So I think the leak might be coming from the piston and it's dripping down on the underside of the lever. Might also be the source of the fluid going black after just ~7-8 months. Dangit...
The brakes still perform great tho. Big Grin

Posted: Jun 20, 2022 at 21:27 Quote
Just when I thought this franken brake set up couldn't get better I installed MTX Red pads...WOW

The magura race pads squealing was driving me bonkers so I wanted best pad with the least noise and I wasn't disappointed, very much recommend.

Posted: Jul 13, 2022 at 16:42 Quote
Got mine installed on my fresh guerrilla gravity megatrail mullet mixed wheel build. I have the shimano xt m8000 levers on mt5 calipers with storms 203 front and 180 rear. I have to say they are beastly compared to the sram guide r I had on my past bike. Have few park days at trestle logged and I definitely recommend this setup to everyone now. I used the shimano olive and barb with royal blood fluid and feel great. Enjoy the ripping!

Posted: Jul 25, 2022 at 16:17 Quote
Im really intrigued by this but am not sure on getting the right calipers. Would this set suffice?

Edit: Jesus the ebay link is nuts. Its under “Magura MT5 4-Piston Hydraulic Post Mount Disc Brake Pair or Front/Rear”

Seems like a cheap way to get calipers and hoses.

Posted: Jul 27, 2022 at 13:14 Quote
Joli65 wrote:
Im really intrigued by this but am not sure on getting the right calipers. Would this set suffice?

Edit: Jesus the ebay link is nuts. Its under “Magura MT5 4-Piston Hydraulic Post Mount Disc Brake Pair or Front/Rear”

So I did those Mt5 with some shimano xt m8000 masters and levers and have been loving them at the bike park. Got like 6 weeks ish on them with 3 days a week and gotta say they are way beyond my old sram guide r I had on my remedy. I got away with my whole kit with rotors and all for like 320ish. I can't compare to the code rsc performance but don't think they could be much better when you take the price difference into consideration

Posted: Jul 27, 2022 at 13:42 Quote
Joli65 wrote:

I did a set of these, same calipers just cheaper lever but since we are replacing them anyways it didn't matter. https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/3030504/

Posted: Jul 27, 2022 at 14:13 Quote
Eviljarv wrote:
Joli65 wrote:

I did a set of these, same calipers just cheaper lever but since we are replacing them anyways it didn't matter. https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/3030504/

Thanks man i was literally just looking at that as an option too.

Posted: Jul 27, 2022 at 14:29 Quote
Joli65 wrote:
Eviljarv wrote:
Joli65 wrote:

Thanks man i was literally just looking at that as an option too.

He is a good guy to buy from also, never had an issue and pretty fast shipping.

Posted: Jul 28, 2022 at 1:58 Quote
My Shiguras have been fantastic a few years on...though I think I may have damaged the rear caliper as I decided to try the individual pads with bolts rather than the single pads I was using that just clip on.. the bolts on the individual pads backed right out and one of the pads fell out resulting in one of the pistons rubbing the rotor. I should have just kept the one piece pads.

I'm really intrigued by the new Hope Tech 4 V4's...it seems they may have solved most of the issues I had with the Tech 3's in terms of low power and heavy lever feel. But it's expensive to just try them given the Shiguras work better than any brake I have tried for low cost.

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.007242
Mobile Version of Website