Shigura brakes

Posted: Jul 28, 2022 at 4:01 Quote
Danzzz88 wrote:
My Shiguras have been fantastic a few years on...though I think I may have damaged the rear caliper as I decided to try the individual pads with bolts rather than the single pads I was using that just clip on.. the bolts on the individual pads backed right out and one of the pads fell out resulting in one of the pistons rubbing the rotor. I should have just kept the one piece pads.

I'm really intrigued by the new Hope Tech 4 V4's...it seems they may have solved most of the issues I had with the Tech 3's in terms of low power and heavy lever feel. But it's expensive to just try them given the Shiguras work better than any brake I have tried for low cost.

Does appear to be resolved, lots of people raving about them for a while now

Posted: Jul 28, 2022 at 4:13 Quote
Soupherb wrote:
Danzzz88 wrote:
My Shiguras have been fantastic a few years on...though I think I may have damaged the rear caliper as I decided to try the individual pads with bolts rather than the single pads I was using that just clip on.. the bolts on the individual pads backed right out and one of the pads fell out resulting in one of the pistons rubbing the rotor. I should have just kept the one piece pads.

I'm really intrigued by the new Hope Tech 4 V4's...it seems they may have solved most of the issues I had with the Tech 3's in terms of low power and heavy lever feel. But it's expensive to just try them given the Shiguras work better than any brake I have tried for low cost.

Does appear to be resolved, lots of people raving about them for a while now

Yea the only thing is the official reviews don't exactly state the power is awesome or mind blowing..they just use words like they are have enough, plenty etc... so wondering how powerful they will actually be.

I was gobsmacked by the Shiguras power wise when I first fitted them..

Posted: Jul 28, 2022 at 5:39 Quote
The Shigura setup will still be more aggressive and on/off than a Hope Tech4 V4. It could be similar if you were to put a Hope Trial caliper, but then it's just because it's a massive 2 pistons caliper.

For sheer power, it's going to be almost impossible to compare until someone puts both on a testing bench like enduro-mtb did twice. New brakes would be interesting to test on that same test bench, like the Hayes Dominion A2/A4, Shigura (and could be interesting to test XT/XTR levers, MT5/MT7 calipers in case it changes anything), Trickstuff Maxima, Formula Cura4, ... But I'm not aware of any magazine/website/company doing that (or sharing the results anyway Big Grin )

The Shigura setup will be less reliable than a set of Tech4, that's for sure. The Shimano levers are far from being the most reliable (wandering bite point, lever blade that snaps on small crashes, seals and interior disolving in the mineral oil ...), but the way their piston moves provides a very aggressive brake no matter the caliper. And putting a Magura caliper makes for a very aggressive brake, as you don't "attack" the rotor with a pair of 15mm pistons, but a pair of 17mm. And that's about it.

One thing to note, Shimano calipers are pretty good at keeping heat out of the mineral oil, whereas Magura doesn't care as much.

All in all, if you want more power from your Shimano or Magura brakes, are already using aggressive pads and rotors, you've already maxxed your fork/frame max rotor size, then assembling a Shigura setup is a good and rather cheap way to do it.

Posted: Jul 28, 2022 at 6:00 Quote
Oh yeah they need to redo that test its much needed

Posted: Jul 28, 2022 at 6:49 Quote
Always a good idea to add a little blue locktite to those pad bolts

Posted: Jul 30, 2022 at 4:35 Quote
Has anyone tried TRP Evo DHR levers with Magura 4 pot calipers yet? Shimano levers need the fluid topping up at about 50% pad wear as the reservoir is smaller than the Magura lever. Just wonderign if the TRP's are worth a try - mainly just because wecan rather than any real benefit.

Posted: Aug 7, 2022 at 10:03 Quote
Can I use both Magura and Shimano olives? So far i've been using Shimano, but I ripped my front brake hose in a fall, and the shop i'm ordering from doesn't have Shimano olives...

I'm guessing reusing olives is a big no-no?

Posted: Aug 7, 2022 at 10:09 Quote
On magura hose is better to use magura olive

Posted: Aug 7, 2022 at 13:24 Quote
I used Magura’s barb with Shimano’s olive with Magura brake lines and have zero issues since day one with almost a years worth of riding.

Posted: Aug 7, 2022 at 20:17 Quote
HollyBoni wrote:
Can I use both Magura and Shimano olives? So far i've been using Shimano, but I ripped my front brake hose in a fall, and the shop i'm ordering from doesn't have Shimano olives...

I'm guessing reusing olives is a big no-no?

barb=hose... use a magura hose-- use a magura barb.

olive = MC.. so shimano MC-- Shimano olive.

nut=MC.. Shimano MC-- Shimano nut.

(MC=Master Cylinder)

How I have setup 2 Shigura brakes

Posted: Aug 8, 2022 at 0:30 Quote
Okay so two votes for the Shimano olive, one for the Magura olive.

Anyone else? Big Grin

Posted: Aug 8, 2022 at 1:38 Quote
Problem 1, magura barb won't seat on the shimano mc recess but it’s snug in the magura hose as magura hose inner dia is a bit bigger,. Shimano olive on the other hand is loose on the magura hose as magura hose outside dia is a bit thinner than the shimano hose. Any combo can work but some times it gives you a bit of a headache with leaks. Diamensions can be verified with a vernier caliper if someone wants to.
I had an issue with a shimano olive on a magura hose when the olive moved to the edge of the hose crimping on the barb insert before it was crushed enough hold on to the hose.

Posted: Aug 8, 2022 at 3:05 Quote
adespotoskyli wrote:
Problem 1, magura barb won't seat on the shimano mc recess but it’s snug in the magura hose as magura hose inner dia is a bit bigger,. Shimano olive on the other hand is loose on the magura hose as magura hose outside dia is a bit thinner than the shimano hose. Any combo can work but some times it gives you a bit of a headache with leaks. Diamensions can be verified with a vernier caliper if someone wants to.
I had an issue with a shimano olive on a magura hose when the olive moved to the edge of the hose crimping on the barb insert before it was crushed enough hold on to the hose.

This ^^^^^ tup

You can also run the risk of needing more barbs/olives if overtighten, that can be a real pain in the arse when you don’t have a few spare...

Posted: Aug 8, 2022 at 4:35 Quote
Both my brakes went together fine with Magura barb and Shimano olive first time...no leaks or issues 2 years later.

Posted: Aug 8, 2022 at 4:39 Quote
Danzzz88 wrote:
Both my brakes went together fine with Magura barb and Shimano olive first time...no leaks or issues 2 years later.

Nor mine, 4yrs iirc

As long as your lines are cut straight , your likely to do well lol

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.008357
Mobile Version of Website