Shigura brakes

Posted: Aug 8, 2022 at 6:57 Quote
tbh using shimano barb i always had to tighten the nut too much otherwise it would leak a bit

Posted: Aug 8, 2022 at 8:22 Quote
Danzzz88 wrote:
Both my brakes went together fine with Magura barb and Shimano olive first time...no leaks or issues 2 years later.

Same with mine, no issues running Magura barb with the Shimano olive.

Posted: Aug 8, 2022 at 11:09 Quote
It's worth pointing out that Shimano only makes one olive, but two different barbs: The BH59 hose has a larger inner diameter and takes a wider, brass barb. The BH90 hose has a smaller inner diameter and takes a narrower, silver-colored barb.

I wonder if the BH59 barb works for Magura hose but not the BH90 barb.

Posted: Aug 8, 2022 at 21:58 Quote
I use Jagwire PRO Hydraulic Hose with Shimano barb and olive at the lever and the Jagwire Mountain Pro Quick-Fit for Margura at the caliper side. This gives me matching fittings on both ends.

Posted: Aug 9, 2022 at 13:15 Quote
barp wrote:
It's worth pointing out that Shimano only makes one olive, but two different barbs: The BH59 hose has a larger inner diameter and takes a wider, brass barb. The BH90 hose has a smaller inner diameter and takes a narrower, silver-colored barb.

I wonder if the BH59 barb works for Magura hose but not the BH90 barb.
Might, but would it fit invthe mc's recess? If irc bh59 has a slight bulge on the face and not flat as the bh90?

Posted: Aug 9, 2022 at 14:08 Quote
The difference between barbs always looked pretty minimal to me. I'll do a more careful comparison the next time I have both in front of me.

Posted: Aug 9, 2022 at 14:44 Quote
I have Shimano, Magura, Sram and TRP spare brake parts in my tool box, here are some dimensions for the Shimano and Magura barbs.

BH90 vs BH59 vs Magura barb

Posted: Aug 9, 2022 at 19:55 Quote
Thanks buddy! Have you got any olives laying around as well?!

Posted: Aug 10, 2022 at 5:47 Quote
adespotoskyli wrote:
Thanks buddy! Have you got any olives laying around as well?!

I do, I'll try getting some dimensions when I get back in town tomorrow. And that was my coffee table, getting a new steel work bench made right now

Posted: Aug 10, 2022 at 7:49 Quote
Eviljarv wrote:
I have Shimano, Magura, Sram and TRP spare brake parts in my tool box, here are some dimensions for the Shimano and Magura barbs.

BH90 vs BH59 vs Magura barb

Thanks for all the detailed photos!. I went through all of the pages on this thread before I committed to my setup.

I have a set of MT7's that sprung a MC leak. Magura has a 5 year leak free warranty which covered the body, but I wanted quicker bite. For some reason my MT5's bite is way quicker than my MT7, having nothing to do with the bleed. It's in the caliper design. That being said I like the 5's better for this reason.

Instead of waiting and purchasing a backup MT7 MC for the price of $180, I decided to go the Shigura route.

I'm using XT's, the M8100.
I had a huge inner debate whether to use the BH59 barb or the Magura barb (I'm using Magura hose). I was leaning towards the BH59 because they would be perfectly compatible with the Shimano levers. I had all 3 barbs on hand and I test fit each one in the master cylinder hose bore. All 3 DID fit fine, but the Magura ones you had to be spot on with the alignment as there was very little play. Ie while installing the hose/barb assembly, you'd want to wiggle it to make sure you are seated in the bore and not at an angle when you tighten, which means you wouldn't be sitting flat against the receiving face of the lever body.

I also used a Shimano olive.

So my setup:
MT7 Caliper
XT M8100 levers (I have some Deores on the way for backups)
Magura Hose
Shimano Olive
Shimano BH59 barb
Shimano compression nut
Magura Royal Blood

Bleed went fine, holy reduced bite distance! I bled with the Magura bleed blocks. Front is tight and engages extremely quick off the lever pull. Rear, although a good bleed, pulled a bit further before engagement. Way better than the MT7's but not as fast as the front. I removed the pads and extended the calipers out little by little with shims and squeezing the lever until I had a feel when mounted similar to the front. Seemed to work well.

So far no leaks, but I'll be able to put them through the ringer this weekend.

Posted: Aug 20, 2022 at 3:43 Quote
For scientific purposes (and definitely not because I was too lazy to get other parts) I decided to try a Magura olive and barb. Had no trouble with using a Magura barb before, but I was using a Shimano olive. We'll see how it works out.

BTW this is how my brake hose looked after a fall. Looks like the outer "sleeve" (or something) seperated. Did 3 pretty big rides with the hose like this, no leaks! Big Grin

Posted: Aug 21, 2022 at 9:39 Quote
What will be the difference between xtr 9100 and 9120 on shigura? Better modulation on 9100 more power on 9120 with servowave? I have older mt7 raceline with 2 finger lever so thinking 9100 will give me a good compromise?

Posted: Aug 21, 2022 at 10:15 Quote
I've run M9100 and now on M9120. Modulation is still good but raw power is so much better. The steepest DH runs with 29er it's true 1 finger braking, even after a 5 minute run with massive arm pump you can still be in full control. Defo recommend servowave option.

Posted: Aug 21, 2022 at 11:47 Quote
I'd go m9120 that's what I run...there is still plenty enough modulation but the initial bit is faster and the peak power higher. In theory servowave should give more modulation as the pads move slower but with more force the further the lever is pulled...if the pad moves slower it means more control but the overall lever throw will be the same because the pad moves faster at the start to contact the disc sooner unlike m9100...basically m9100 takes away the slop and slower initial lever throw of m9100 and exchanges it for later in the travel for more control and peak force. Imo all brake levers should have some form of servo wave / cam technology.

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.011057
Mobile Version of Website