Shigura brakes

| Next Page
Posted: Feb 23, 2024 at 1:10 Quote
Subversion-Garage wrote:
RichGardiner wrote:
Any experiences here with using Bionol, trickstuff's brake fluid?

How much of a faff is it to flush shimano or magura mineral oil out of the system with bionol, given it's a lighter viscosity?

Bionol, Shimano, and Maxima all have the same viscosity (more or less 8.xx@40c). Red Line LikeWater is what you want if you want the lowest viscosity (around 5@40c)

Ah thanks, I'll look into that. Bionol seems hard to find in the UK so hopefully a little more luck for Red Line LikeWater.

I've got heaps of shimano mineral oil to get through still so I'll likely use that for now.

I guess my original question still stands though, how much faff is it to flush out one fluid with another, whether they're the same viscosity or different?

For the Tektro barbs, it looks like the Tektro hoses are 2.5mm ID vs Shimano BH59 / Magura's 2.3mm (vs Shimano BH90's 2.1mm)

Would that mean therefore that using those tektro barbs with the o-ring make it a tighter fit still, magura hoses are a bit thinner than shimano's aren't they - this wouldn't risk splitting the hose where the barb is inserted?

Info taken from here:

https://bicycles.stackexchange.com/questions/66205/hydraulic-brake-hose-size-standards#:~:text=Tektro%2FHayes%2FPromax%3A,%2C%20OD%3A%205.4%2D5.5mm

Posted: Feb 23, 2024 at 8:37 Quote
RichGardiner wrote:
I guess my original question still stands though, how much faff is it to flush out one fluid with another, whether they're the same viscosity or different?

Not a faff at all. It's the same as just a regular bleed when you push out the dirty oil.
Nothing bad is going to happen if a teeny tiny bit of old oil and new oil mixes.

Posted: Feb 23, 2024 at 8:48 Quote
RichGardiner wrote:

Ah thanks, I'll look into that. Bionol seems hard to find in the UK so hopefully a little more luck for Red Line LikeWater.

I've got heaps of shimano mineral oil to get through still so I'll likely use that for now.

For the Tektro barbs, it looks like the Tektro hoses are 2.5mm ID vs Shimano BH59 / Magura's 2.3mm (vs Shimano BH90's 2.1mm)

Flushing is no different, and a little mixed fluid is going to affect anything.

I can’t say I have tried every combo of hose, bard, and olive, but generally speaking you want to match barb to hose, and olive to caliper (eg Magura hose, Maugura barb, Shimano lever, Shimano olive).

Posted: Mar 4, 2024 at 0:40 Quote
Hey guys,

Two simple questions:
Has anyone tried both MT5 and MT7 calipers and noticed any difference?
Has anyone tried both SLX and XT levers and noticed any difference? From what I researched, they are the same but my friend has XT levers instead of SLX and his brakes feel a bit more powerful.

Posted: Mar 4, 2024 at 7:22 Quote
While I haven't tried The MT5 specifically, I have the Trail SL Same as MT7 and MT8. I also have a set of MT4s. There is a small difference in rotor clearance and thus freestroke between them.
Their both excellent however if you're picky about rotor rub the MT5s would be the way to go.
Magura has noted this as well:
https://magura.com/en/EUR/are-the-mt5-and-mt7-brake-calipers-really-different-how-are-they-different

I have also used SLX 7100 and Deore 6100 levers with these setups and FWIW, they feel the same.
I can confirm that anywhere it matters, XT levers are the same as the SLX. There may be some other variable as to why his brakes feel more powerful.

Posted: Mar 4, 2024 at 8:50 Quote
Subversion-Garage wrote:
RichGardiner wrote:

Flushing is no different, and a little mixed fluid is going to affect anything.

I can’t say I have tried every combo of hose, bard, and olive, but generally speaking you want to match barb to hose, and olive to caliper (eg Magura hose, Maugura barb, Shimano lever, Shimano olive).

All seemed to go fine with setup - only thing that was a bit of a faff/mess was having to clean the caliper up after installing / removing the syringe and bleed nipple to replace the bolt.

On the rear caliper I took it off the frame and held it so the bleed port was facing upwards which helped.

On the front brake it made a hell of a mess when I took the bleed port screw out to put the syringe in (am guessing due to gravity effect, even with the plunger installed in the bleed up on the lever), but when removing the syringe and replacing the bleed screw, I refitted the caliper so that the bottom caliper bolt was screwed into the upper mount on the fork, so I could tilt the caliper over slightly to have the bleed screw facing upwards, and then tighten in place - this definitely helped although it still needed a good clean afterwards.

Does anyone know of an aftermarket bleed nipple with an open/close function a la shimano that could be fitted to Magura calipers? would make the bleed process much cleaner.

Took a few cycles back and forth through the system and pulling the air out of the caliper through the syringe (make sure the syringe connection hose is as straight as possible to the connection or you'll just keep sucking air into the syringe from a loose fit at the bleed nipple) but once this was done it was just a case of a simple lever bleed up top and they feel awesome.

XTR M9120 Lever
Shimano Rubber Hose Cover
Shimano Compression Nut
Shimano Olive
Magura Barb/Insert
Magura Hose
Magura MT5 Caliper
Galfer Pro Green Pads
Magura Royal Blood (bought a bleed kit so had enough oil in the bottle to just fill the new XTR levers)
Sram HS2 Rotors 220/200

Feels very powerful and positive in the lever from just bedding them in up and down the road - I like the shorter lever throw, should allow me to run them closer to the bars but have quicker engagement.

Rotor alignment wasn't too bad to be fair, just take your time with adjusting each end of the caliper by tiny amounts until it's the best you'll get it to.

Coming from full XTR M9120 previously

Posted: Mar 5, 2024 at 19:18 Quote
rohusky wrote:
Hey guys,

Two simple questions:
Has anyone tried both MT5 and MT7 calipers and noticed any difference?
Has anyone tried both SLX and XT levers and noticed any difference? From what I researched, they are the same but my friend has XT levers instead of SLX and his brakes feel a bit more powerful.

The short answer to both questions is no. Magura will tell you there are minor differences between the calipers, but using the same style pads in both will leave the same rotor clearance.

The SLX lever uses a safety head screw in place of the JIS for bite point adjustment, but otherwise the same.

Posted: Mar 22, 2024 at 14:31 Quote
Broke my lever blade on my mt5s 6 months ago, replaced with the HC lever. Well yesterday I ran out of talent, foot collected a tree which sent me OTBs which snapped the lever where the blade attaches.

Looks like I'm ordering some M6100 levers and joining he club.

| Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.010813
Mobile Version of Website