Recommendations - nimble & primarily jump lines

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Recommendations - nimble & primarily jump lines
Previous Page |
Posted: Nov 10, 2020 at 20:04 Quote
I'm currently riding a 2012 Stumpjumper Comp with 130mm travel front and back. What I've learned in the last 8 years is that I mostly like riding jump lines, but I'm too old and sloppy to ride a dirt jumper Smile . I want something that's nimble and has some pop and doesn't feel sluggish, but a bit more plush than what I'm currently riding. I'm comfortable on all the single black diamond jump line I've tried, and a handful of easier double blacks, but want a bike I can keep growing my skills on. I do ride uphill with friends some, just jump lines in parks a lot more, and rarely rooty rocky techy trails. I have a few possible bikes in mind, but am really curious what others might recommend, especially since it is super hard to actually test ride bikes this year. I'm willing to spend USD $6K or so given that I'll probably ride it for 5+ years, obviously less $ is better, heh. Any thoughts?

Posted: Nov 10, 2020 at 20:29 Quote
The Santa Cruz 5010 seems like a good option, It's got 130 rear / 140 front and is a pretty short nimble bike. It's got plenty of build options and if you watch the 50to01 guys you know that bike can shred!

Posted: Nov 13, 2020 at 17:53 Quote
Thanks! I’ve had my eye on the 5010 as an option. Seems like 2021 brings some nice changes. Here are some others on my radar:

Ibis Mojo 4
Transition Scout

There are a couple others too, but not sure if they trade too much nimbleness for plushness, or how they’d be for mostly riding jump lines:

Ibis Ripmo V2
Stumpjumper Evo

Anyone have experience with these bikes for this type of riding?

Posted: Nov 13, 2020 at 20:26 Quote
I'm looking for something similar to what you are. I'm on the market shopping for my first Full Suspension. Just looking for the best Enduro that’s shaped for sending jumps and is poppy and playful rather than sluggish feeling. I'll be riding primarily at a bike park with jump lines and drops. As well as flow trails. I'm attempting to progress my jumping ability to hit bigger and bigger jumps and need something that will allow me to do so. My budget is between 2500 - 3000. I'd like to stay at 27.5 tires as well. Thanks for any advice

Posted: Nov 13, 2020 at 20:55 Quote
I own a Pivot Mach 6 and I feel it is the perfect mix between handling large jumps and jump lines, jibing, and plowing through technical trail features. I've personally never ridden a Mojo 4 or Transition Scout but I've heard great things about them. The Ibis Ripmo V2 could definitely handle jumps but it is aimed more for technical plowing. The Stumpjumper Evo is sort of the same way as the Ripmo but it's more versatile in both worlds. I'll keep my eye out for any great bikes that fit your description!

Posted: Nov 13, 2020 at 21:10 Quote
shred14 wrote:
I own a Pivot Mach 6 and I feel it is the perfect mix between handling large jumps and jump lines, jibing, and plowing through technical trail features. I've personally never ridden a Mojo 4 or Transition Scout but I've heard great things about them. The Ibis Ripmo V2 could definitely handle jumps but it is aimed more for technical plowing. The Stumpjumper Evo is sort of the same way as the Ripmo but it's more versatile in both worlds. I'll keep my eye out for any great bikes that fit your description!

Thanks man!

Posted: Nov 14, 2020 at 7:40 Quote
I can’t speak for the other recommendations but I ride a 5010 V4 (just picked it up this summer). Very poppy and stiff frame with scalpel handling, but also very stable at speed. Some Santa Cruz magic going on there between the geometry and shock tune. One minute you can jib off side hits and pop off roots, the next minute you can take it down some pretty steep gnar - no problem. Did I mention it loves the back wheel?

It’s built for maximum fun, whatever you like to do. Given your budget, why not get the supermodel Wink

Posted: Nov 14, 2020 at 16:31 Quote
Norecoil wrote:
I can’t speak for the other recommendations but I ride a 5010 V4 (just picked it up this summer). Very poppy and stiff frame with scalpel handling, but also very stable at speed. Some Santa Cruz magic going on there between the geometry and shock tune. One minute you can jib off side hits and pop off roots, the next minute you can take it down some pretty steep gnar - no problem. Did I mention it loves the back wheel?

It’s built for maximum fun, whatever you like to do. Given your budget, why not get the supermodel Wink

Yeah, that bike looks like the dream!

Posted: Nov 16, 2020 at 7:23 Quote
ryantrem wrote:
Thanks! I’ve had my eye on the 5010 as an option. Seems like 2021 brings some nice changes. Here are some others on my radar:

Ibis Mojo 4
Transition Scout

There are a couple others too, but not sure if they trade too much nimbleness for plushness, or how they’d be for mostly riding jump lines:

Ibis Ripmo V2
Stumpjumper Evo

Anyone have experience with these bikes for this type of riding?

The stumpy evo or Ripmo are not what you want. They more suited to the chunky stuff.

Another good choice would be an SB140. I agree the Mojo 4 would be good. I have not ridden a Scout.

There are 29 bikes which would be great, like a Process 134. But in general 27.5 is a little better suited to jump lines, and so more 27.5 bikes come with that sort of playful geo and shock tune. For sure the shock and geo make more difference than the wheel size, but the combination makes a lot of sense if rough stuff isn't your jam.

Posted: Nov 16, 2020 at 10:49 Quote
ryantrem wrote:
I'm currently riding a 2012 Stumpjumper Comp with 130mm travel front and back. What I've learned in the last 8 years is that I mostly like riding jump lines, but I'm too old and sloppy to ride a dirt jumper Smile . I want something that's nimble and has some pop and doesn't feel sluggish, but a bit more plush than what I'm currently riding. I'm comfortable on all the single black diamond jump line I've tried, and a handful of easier double blacks, but want a bike I can keep growing my skills on. I do ride uphill with friends some, just jump lines in parks a lot more, and rarely rooty rocky techy trails. I have a few possible bikes in mind, but am really curious what others might recommend, especially since it is super hard to actually test ride bikes this year. I'm willing to spend USD $6K or so given that I'll probably ride it for 5+ years, obviously less $ is better, heh. Any thoughts?

I know it is not a new bike, but I do like Evil Calling. It is a relatively short bike for current standard. However, I think it works well for jumps. It is pretty capable for 131mm rear end.

Posted: Nov 16, 2020 at 19:02 Quote
Get the scout for sure

Posted: Nov 21, 2020 at 17:46 Quote
shred14 wrote:
Norecoil wrote:

How does it do on jump lines and drops? 130 travel doesn’t seem like a lot to work with. (Noob here)

Posted: Nov 21, 2020 at 18:06 Quote
MacDuffaluffacus42 wrote:
shred14 wrote:
Norecoil wrote:

How does it do on jump lines and drops? 130 travel doesn’t seem like a lot to work with. (Noob here)

Personally, coming from a 120F/100R bike.... this would be quite versatile. I was hitting large jump lines and even some 35+ jumps. I think that for tech stuff it would be very limited but as long as you have your suspension set right it should be plenty.

Posted: Nov 21, 2020 at 19:59 Quote
anothermtnbiker wrote:
Get the scout for sure

This ^ The scout is crazy capable and climbs amazingly well. I've heard people say the frame "feels" like a dirt jumper but has the geo and full suss to handle when things get big.

Posted: 3 days ago Quote
Sup, I have narrowed down my bike search to 4. All 27.5. All rear travel from 130-160 I believe. My choices are Norco Sight, Kona Process 153, Transition Scout, and the Trek Remedy. Not in any particular order, however my top two are probably the Kona and the Trek. Any advice or personal experience is helpful in making this decision. I’ll be riding at a local bike park with flow trails, drops, and pretty wicked jumps. Thanks again.

Previous Page |

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.006170
Mobile Version of Website