How is winter riding like in Vancouver

PB Forum :: Canada - West
How is winter riding like in Vancouver
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Nov 14, 2020 at 19:57 Quote
Hi All,
I wanted to know how is the riding like in the Vancouver area in the winter months. My impression, looking at the weather forecasts is that even if it's not snowy, the winters are quite rainy there.
I am an experienced intermediate level rider (comfortable on most black and some double diamond trails, but I heard that the black diamond trails are a lot more difficult in BC Big Grin ) living currently in Eastern Canada. I ride year round, switch to fat biking when the snow comes.
But I am not a fan of riding in wet conditions due to the added risk and damage to the trails. Usually, I wait half a day to a couple days before hitting the trails after a rainfall (depending on how much rain we got).
So I wanted to know how is the riding like in the Vancouver area in the winter months.
Please don't comment on the riding on Vancouver Island as I am interested in finding out about how regular mountain biking is like for someone living in the Greater Vancouver Area.
Your response will really help me.
Thanks a ton

Posted: Nov 14, 2020 at 20:01 Quote
Lol it rains like every day in the winter here

Posted: Nov 14, 2020 at 23:20 Quote
Well as above mentioned, it rains pretty much most of the time. That being said a lot of the trails are quite armored and can be ridden in the wet as well, but it sure does get slippery. Also depending on where the snow line is you might have some snow/frost on the trails. Definitely won't need your fatbike though Wink

Posted: Nov 15, 2020 at 8:59 Quote
Thanks for the response guys. So what's the active riding season on the north shore for most mountain bikers, are most of them riding year round?

Posted: Nov 16, 2020 at 18:16 Quote
Yes, year-round pretty much. Occasionally it will snow down to sea level and the trails can get icy (some people will ride still in those conditions). Many trails are built well to handle wet weather so you can ride them even when it's wet. Temps will range in the 6-10ish highs Nov-Feb which is what you could consider "winter" here.

You and your bike will get wet/muddy, but if you pick your times to ride to avoid truly torrential downpour it's not bad at all. MaxxGrip Assegai/DHF/DHR II tires, lower pressure and softer/slower suspension all help as well. Most winters will have 2-3 week droughts a few times a year which results in awesome bike conditions (but poor ski conditions if you like powder). Every 5ish years there will be abnormally warm winters with little precipitation, last one I remember is 2014/15 - shit skiing but amazing biking.

March-October you could consider core riding season. Still rains (can rain a ton in March/Oct) but it's warmer/more daylight and very rare to snow in March in Vancouver.

Posted: Nov 20, 2020 at 10:30 Quote
gramboh wrote:
Yes, year-round pretty much. Occasionally it will snow down to sea level and the trails can get icy (some people will ride still in those conditions). Many trails are built well to handle wet weather so you can ride them even when it's wet. Temps will range in the 6-10ish highs Nov-Feb which is what you could consider "winter" here.

You and your bike will get wet/muddy, but if you pick your times to ride to avoid truly torrential downpour it's not bad at all. MaxxGrip Assegai/DHF/DHR II tires, lower pressure and softer/slower suspension all help as well. Most winters will have 2-3 week droughts a few times a year which results in awesome bike conditions (but poor ski conditions if you like powder). Every 5ish years there will be abnormally warm winters with little precipitation, last one I remember is 2014/15 - shit skiing but amazing biking.

March-October you could consider core riding season. Still rains (can rain a ton in March/Oct) but it's warmer/more daylight and very rare to snow in March in Vancouver.

Thank you very much for the detailed response. It's sounds like its worth a trip to check out winter conditions on the north shore. Now if only we didn't have the pandemic...

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.005021
Mobile Version of Website