08 fuel ex 9 to 1x sram NX ?

PB Forum :: Trek
08 fuel ex 9 to 1x sram NX ?
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Nov 17, 2020 at 18:29 Quote
hello new to the forum and just gettin into MTBs my father in law gave me a 2008 fuel ex9 and it is practically a brand new 12 year old bike in mint condition, all original parts, i want to make it a 1x drive train and was wondering will a sram nx groupset work? If not what do you all recommend thanks for any help you can give

Posted: Nov 19, 2020 at 8:55 Quote
Wheels will be what holds your upgrade up, but other than that, you could make that work on your 09 EX. You would want to swap the rear hub or wheel out for one that offers an 11-speed hub or XD driver compatibility. Off the top of my head, Hope offers a QR based hub that would work called the Pro 4.

-Mitch

Posted: Nov 20, 2020 at 12:47 Quote
Thanks for the reply, is it possible to just get new cranks and single ring gear and leave the original 9 speed on the back and not go up to a 10,11,or 12 ?

Posted: Nov 20, 2020 at 15:48 Quote
Keatonmtb33 wrote:
Thanks for the reply, is it possible to just get new cranks and single ring gear and leave the original 9 speed on the back and not go up to a 10,11,or 12 ?
you might be able to just get a narrow wide chainring for your existing cranks.
You can get wide-range cassettes in 9, 10, and 11 speed that will fit your shimano freehub, so you have a few options.

Posted: Nov 21, 2020 at 22:07 Quote
Thanks again! I think I'm going. Try and find a
Compatible ring ger for cranks and replace the cassette

Posted: Nov 22, 2020 at 13:03 Quote
Keatonmtb33 wrote:
Thanks again! I think I'm going. Try and find a
Compatible ring ger for cranks and replace the cassette
Check this page for chainrings, info on offset and crank compatibility:
https://www.oneupcomponents.com/products/narrow-wide-chainrings-104-bcd

Posted: Nov 24, 2020 at 19:37 Quote
What is a good chain to replace the original one with? I've been out of riding for years and only did bmx then but this mtb got me hooked again ordered the one up 32 it hasn't arrived yet to check the fit and still deciding on a WR 9,10,or 11. I can't find were I can get . A upgrade for the freewheel for these bontrager hubs ,do you know any? Thanks again

Posted: Dec 4, 2020 at 5:17 Quote
Any chain that is specific to your cassette is as good as the next

Posted: Dec 5, 2020 at 7:16 Quote
Don’t overthink it. I just wrote a long post in the 2010 Fuel 1x thread... basically; buy a narrow wide tooth front chain ring so your chain doesn’t drop, install it in the middle ring position. Measure your chain and use all your old components in back.

I’d start there, this way you’ve spent about $10. If you can’t make it up your local mountain and you don’t want to get stronger, then consider new hubs and cassettes and fancier (expensive!) stuff.

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.005168
Mobile Version of Website