Need Help Finding!!! Part # Provided!

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Need Help Finding!!! Part # Provided!
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Nov 20, 2020 at 16:33 Quote
Just recently purchased a Merlin Titanium Mountain Bike. Love it!
However, currently it has Shimano XTR Brakes. The left side handle had the clamp bolt broken when I picked it up. No biggie I thought.. after 4 bike shops, 3 hardware stores, and hours on the internet... I cannot seem to find the bolt.
Ive spoken to shimano reps and theyve provided the part # Y6AU98090 which is great.. still cant find it in stock anywhere. Shimano does not have in stock. The reps also provided the specs of the bolt M8x16mm.
Great, purchased a bolt off the specs and while it is close, its still not it..

Anyone happen to know a guy who knows a guy? Im down to my last option...

Thanks for taking the time to read!

Posted: Nov 20, 2020 at 20:31 Quote
Why does the m8 x 16mm not fit? Do you just need a different thread pitch?

Posted: Nov 21, 2020 at 16:55 Quote
Branmuffin wrote:

The screw is considerably larger and the pitch is different too. I took a photo with a side by side comparison (of the other screw from the other handle) and while its close, its definitely way too large overall.

Cant seem to figure out how to add an image from my phone??

Posted: Nov 21, 2020 at 17:27 Quote
FrankReal66 wrote:
Branmuffin wrote:

The screw is considerably larger and the pitch is different too. I took a photo with a side by side comparison (of the other screw from the other handle) and while its close, its definitely way too large overall.

Cant seem to figure out how to add an image from my phone??

Yeah, go desktop mode to add pictures.

Posted: Nov 21, 2020 at 19:59 Quote
https://ibb.co/GH3hQ57

Heres a link to the photo, hopefully it works?

Posted: Nov 22, 2020 at 0:07 Quote
I suggest calling Shimano again, and getting the thread pitch. M8 is almost always 1.25 or 1mm. The replacement screw you got looks like a normal 1.25mm (...at least across the intarwebs) but the XTR screw seems to finer pitched than 1mm.

Hopefully, it's just an illusion, because M8 with 1mm pitch in 16mm length shouldn't be too hard to find. It's very likely it'll have a larger socket head than the XTR screw, but it should fit anyway.

Also, are you talking to Shimano's warehouse in North Carolina? If not, give them a call directly at (843)821-9623. Tell them "I'm trying to reach the parts department", and give the parts guy the part number you are looking for right away. If you are friendly, but act all business, they will assume you are a dealer and help you out, and not dump you into a customer service queue. If they do happen to have the part in stock, ask them for a local dealer to order it from.

Posted: Nov 22, 2020 at 0:24 Quote
https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/114252670958?chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=710-134428-41853-0&mkcid=

Posted: Nov 22, 2020 at 8:01 Quote
anoplura wrote:
I suggest calling Shimano again, and getting the thread pitch. M8 is almost always 1.25 or 1mm. The replacement screw you got looks like a normal 1.25mm (...at least across the intarwebs) but the XTR screw seems to finer pitched than 1mm.

Hopefully, it's just an illusion, because M8 with 1mm pitch in 16mm length shouldn't be too hard to find. It's very likely it'll have a larger socket head than the XTR screw, but it should fit anyway.

Also, are you talking to Shimano's warehouse in North Carolina? If not, give them a call directly at (843)821-9623. Tell them "I'm trying to reach the parts department", and give the parts guy the part number you are looking for right away. If you are friendly, but act all business, they will assume you are a dealer and help you out, and not dump you into a customer service queue. If they do happen to have the part in stock, ask them for a local dealer to order it from.

Thank you!! Ill definetely try to contact ASAP. The pitch did seem rather odd to me. The hardware stores didnt even bother tried to look for a similar bolt. One guy even told me straight up “im not going to waste your time, I know I dont have that thread”. I dont blame the guy...

Posted: Nov 22, 2020 at 8:02 Quote
muddytreker wrote:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/114252670958?chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=710-134428-41853-0&mkcid=

Thanks!! After a few more Shimano calls, I may just order the tool to get an accurate measure if no ones got anything.

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.005460
Mobile Version of Website