$$$$ of bikes are going through the roof $$$$$

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
$$$$ of bikes are going through the roof $$$$$
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Nov 21, 2020 at 2:03 Quote
Ok so I'm ranting

Bikes these days are improving, like computers the technology and improvements come nearly every day. However, the prices bike companies are charging is just ridiculous. I mean $12,000 for an ebike? Ok so its got some cool stuff but when a bike rivals the price of a decent used car and more than a nice new dirt bike, something's just not right. I dont care what they say, there's no way to justify charging that much for a freckin bike!

Yes, I like the nice new tech thats out there. But I'm just disappointed at the industry and how they've gone through the roof on their profits. I guess as long as folks out there are willing to drop that coin, the bike companies are going to profit.

ok ok nuff said....

Posted: Nov 21, 2020 at 2:14 Quote
I hear what your saying, but in all fairness for every bike that costs top dollar, there are plenty more bikes at a budget level that will do the job. In fact, I'm actually surprised at how many bikes are available at a reasonable price, particularly in the full suspension market. Polygon, Calibre, Marin, Giant, to name but a few, are all bringing bikes out that have the trickle down technology from the last few years, and we're not talking budget nastiness... we're talking serious bikes that can be upgraded or left as and still deliver to a rider of average abilities (which is in all honesty most of us). The technology in those expensive bikes will be seen on budget bikes in a few years, it's the way it always goes. I honestly believe there has never been a better choice for someone who wishes to take the sport seriously, but has a limited budget. It seems the new battle is for these more budget savvy consumers and I think we'll see that even more so in the coming years. And all that's without considering direct to consumer......

Posted: Nov 21, 2020 at 7:37 Quote
holytrails wrote:
Ok so I'm ranting

Bikes these days are improving, like computers the technology and improvements come nearly every day. However, the prices bike companies are charging is just ridiculous. I mean $12,000 for an ebike? Ok so its got some cool stuff but when a bike rivals the price of a decent used car and more than a nice new dirt bike, something's just not right. I dont care what they say, there's no way to justify charging that much for a freckin bike!

Yes, I like the nice new tech thats out there. But I'm just disappointed at the industry and how they've gone through the roof on their profits. I guess as long as folks out there are willing to drop that coin, the bike companies are going to profit.

ok ok nuff said....

The endless arguments against this on the FP are usually:

1) Cheap bikes are getting way better every year
2) Hedonic quality adjustment
3) A civic with 50k miles on it or a brand new, near bottom of the line moto aren't the same idea as the top-tier mountain bike.

Good new bikes with absolutely everything you'd want are still around 5k from a variety of manufacturers - adjustable suspension, carbon, high-end drivetrains, you can mix and match. Aluminum 3k bikes ride almost just as well as those; and there's even more options in the 2-3k range that are super solid...trance 29er with deore, some of the new vitus options, etc.

Posted: Nov 21, 2020 at 18:06 Quote
holytrails wrote:
Ok so I'm ranting

I mean $12,000 for an ebike? .

My new bike (on order) is over that...and no motor. We all have options. I do not hear folks complaining about the cost of diamond rings (a truly senseless purchase....for many). While I will NOT pay $6 for a cup of crappy coffee at Starschmucks...I have zero issue spending $600 for a single car tire or $3600 for a bike frame...it is all about priorities.

One of the guys I know who will complain the most about the cost of cycling...will, in general, complain while drinking some high-end scotch and smoking a cigar...at the country club....every market segment has it niche client base. Heck, I once paid $190 per foot for speaker cable...at it was not the "good stuff" (Kimber Kable).

Posted: Nov 21, 2020 at 18:19 Quote
What you forget is we enthusiasts are a pretty niche bunch, you can't be comparing a £12000 bicycle to a Ford Focus, as that's low end for a car, you're Santa Cruz Heckler or especially niche brands like, Antidote, Unno ect are equivalent to Paganis and Bugattis of the cycling world, they are pretty much the most expensive bicycles you can get this side of some stupid gold plated or diamond encrusted nonsense. In all honesty, if you buy the best in most other luxury items you will pay a lot more than £12'000.... Rolex, top highest spec Apple desktop, high end music gear, designer clothes and shoes sold in the thousands but still cost tens of thousands to buy and about £20 to make ect... Yes it is stupid money for a 'bicycle'... But so is a million quid for a watch.. considering there isn't much better that exists you can get than a Yeti or top spec Specialized ect we aren't getting as ripped off as we could be.

There is also inflation and things have increased a lot in cost over the years anyway... Cigarettes and a can of coke have doubled in price in less than 10 years, little Freddo chocolate bars I used to get for 5p as a kid 15 years ago are now 25p ect... Unfortunately although the cost of shit has gone up our wages haven't gone up by the same amount.

Besides no one has a gun to your head saying you need to pay the extra £100 to have Kashima on your dropper post, you can get a bicycle that offers 95% the performance of the cream of the crop for half the money. Those that pay more, myself included are paying for the extra luxury, but I'm not dumb and know as much as I love my Yeti, that I'll rip just as hard and have just as much fun on a Capra.

Posted: Nov 21, 2020 at 22:31 Quote
More shocking to me is the number of 3.000-3.500$/€ bikes that come with shitty components like sram SX. Even Giant who traditionally offers good VFM, currently prices their cheapest TranceX 29" at 2800€ with SX and RS35. Similarly for Commencal, who sells direct to customer.

It seems you have to spend north of 4500 to get a full suspension bike that doesn't need some upgrades immediately. A top spec e-bike costing 12.000 doesn't impress me as much.

Current global bike stock shortage doesn't help. I was quoted August delivery for a bike I was interested in.

Posted: Nov 22, 2020 at 3:50 Quote
justwan-naride wrote:

It seems you have to spend north of 4500 to get a full suspension bike that doesn't need some upgrades immediately..

I know, right? These first world problems are getting so difficult...

Posted: Nov 23, 2020 at 16:42 Quote
Shit I guess you didn’t ride bikes in the 90’s. Especially adjusting for inflation you get sooooo much more for your dollar.

Posted: 1 days ago Quote
You just noticed the gauging? It's been going on the last few years and I don't see it slowing down any time soon. Getting close to time for me to refocus on my other hobbies.

For the dweeb out there: Just because I'm complaining about the price of something doesn't mean I can't afford it. I'm just not dumb with my $$$.

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.005175
Mobile Version of Website