21’ Stumpjumper EVO thoughts

PB Forum :: Specialized
21’ Stumpjumper EVO thoughts
Posted: Jan 21, 2021 at 19:13 Quote
kookoos wrote:
I have a dhx2 on my 19 for bigger hit days, it completely changed the bike. Kept itthe rear stuck to the ground. Super fast! I took out the 5mm spacer for my 21. Was 210x50 now 210x55. Excited to try it !

Let us know . . .

Posted: Jan 21, 2021 at 19:21 Quote
Will do, trails and weather are hit and miss on the front range of CO

Posted: Jan 22, 2021 at 5:39 Quote
enduroFactory wrote:
Anyone running a coil shock, been told by spesh not compatible now and the shock on the LTD now replaced with a aircan ?

Looks like this might be true, Specialized updated the LTD model on the Canadian site and it no longer has a coil shock mounted in the picture.

https://www.specialized.com/ca/en/stumpjumper-evo-ltd/p/175268?color=281655-175268&searchText=96321-1002

Posted: Jan 22, 2021 at 7:47 Quote
@noplacelikeloam how do you like the STFU chain slap protectors? Thinking about ordering some, but concerned that on 10t ring it would rub.

Posted: Jan 22, 2021 at 7:49 Quote
coop08 wrote:
@noplacelikeloam how do you like the STFU chain slap protectors? Thinking about ordering some.

I used one on my previous bike, then put them on all my bikes. It’s crazy silent, and doesn’t create drag like some others do. It’s a total no brainer.

Posted: Jan 22, 2021 at 12:11 Quote
DammitMike wrote:
enduroFactory wrote:
Anyone running a coil shock, been told by spesh not compatible now and the shock on the LTD now replaced with a aircan ?

Looks like this might be true, Specialized updated the LTD model on the Canadian site and it no longer has a coil shock mounted in the picture.

https://www.specialized.com/ca/en/stumpjumper-evo-ltd/p/175268?color=281655-175268&searchText=96321-1002

I've now seen multiple people mention Specialized told them coils aren't compatible, and now that they've removed the coil from the LTD model it does appear to be true. I've seen a few people running them anyways with seemingly no problems, but if Specialized wasn't able to correctly engineer this bike to allow customers the option of a coil that's really disappointing. Would be curious to know the reasoning behind why they've seemed to change their mind on it.

Posted: Jan 22, 2021 at 12:20 Quote
vonBock wrote:
DammitMike wrote:
enduroFactory wrote:

I've now seen multiple people mention Specialized told them coils aren't compatible, and now that they've removed the coil from the LTD model it does appear to be true. I've seen a few people running them anyways with seemingly no problems, but if Specialized wasn't able to correctly engineer this bike to allow customers the option of a coil that's really disappointing. Would be curious to know the reasoning behind why they've seemed to change their mind on it.

Wouldn't jump to that conclusion so fast. With supply chain issues they may have had to substitute to something else so they can get bikes out the door?

I do remember a few reviews mentioning that its coil compatible. Would seem kind of odd if they reversed after selling the bikes . . .

Posted: Jan 22, 2021 at 14:11 Quote
noplacelikeloam wrote:
Wouldn't jump to that conclusion so fast. With supply chain issues they may have had to substitute to something else so they can get bikes out the door?

I do remember a few reviews mentioning that its coil compatible. Would seem kind of odd if they reversed after selling the bikes . . .

Yeah I get the supply chain issues could definitely be part of it, but the switch plus the handful of people who have reported Spesh told them they aren't compatible just seems strange. I really hope that isn't the case, and would definitely be odd to reverse their course like you said.

Posted: Jan 22, 2021 at 15:55 Quote
My buddy blew up his brand new 21 dhx2 twice on his 2020 evo last summer. Could have been a lemon shock (was one of the first available with pre order) but I'm thinking it is the bike.

Posted: Jan 22, 2021 at 16:15 Quote
cmarwood wrote:
My buddy blew up his brand new 21 dhx2 twice on his 2020 evo last summer. Could have been a lemon shock (was one of the first available with pre order) but I'm thinking it is the bike.

Last generation Evo is a known shock killer. I know multiple people who have blown multiple shocks. Not just Fox either. Hopefully Specialized addressed this in the new generation Stumpjumper Evo.

Posted: Jan 26, 2021 at 8:50 Quote
Running a coil on mine (EXT Storia V3).

Think the only thing standard is the frame & fork. I could only get the Expert on a deal from a friend so that's what I ended up with.

Otherwise, it's been great for the last 4 months Smile

Stevo.

Posted: Jan 26, 2021 at 14:53 Quote
noplacelikeloam wrote:
So just a word of warning on the ICR. If installing new brake line in the seatstay, careful not to push the nylon ICR cable out of the outlet in the seat stay. Short of reinstalling both nylon ICRs and dismantling the frame entirely, witchcraft is required.

I made that mistake and 3 hours later and lot of profanity I got it through but wow.

I’m having that issue now, I don’t think the nylon guide tube was installed in my rear triangle for the rear brake.

Edit: RD installed no problem, but can’t get the brake housing installed. If I feed down thru the head tube the housing will eventually make its way out the vert back of the chainstay. Not sure if the ICR is supposed to connect between where it enters the chain stay and where it exits at the rear brake port, but mine definitely isn’t connected. What a pain.

Posted: Jan 26, 2021 at 16:55 Quote
Xhellcat wrote:
noplacelikeloam wrote:
So just a word of warning on the ICR. If installing new brake line in the seatstay, careful not to push the nylon ICR cable out of the outlet in the seat stay. Short of reinstalling both nylon ICRs and dismantling the frame entirely, witchcraft is required.

I made that mistake and 3 hours later and lot of profanity I got it through but wow.

I’m having that issue now, I don’t think the nylon guide tube was installed in my rear triangle for the rear brake.

Edit: RD installed no problem, but can’t get the brake housing installed. If I feed down thru the head tube the housing will eventually make its way out the vert back of the chainstay. Not sure if the ICR is supposed to connect between where it enters the chain stay and where it exits at the rear brake port, but mine definitely isn’t connected. What a pain.

OMG, OK, I know your pain. So, a couple of options;

1. Take it back to the dealer. It really is a PITA to fix so might be better . . . .
2. Install both new RD and Brake Nylon ICR tubes (In hindsight probably the easiest option).
3. Dissasemble seat stay and chainstay. You will be able to see inside the seat stay from the rear. Push a cable inner from the headtube port through the brake ICR and see it come out the ICR in the chain stay which has detached from the carbon inside wall. Use a chopstick or something long to push the cable through the chain stay wall exit. You will now have a cable going all the way through. Use this cable to pull your brake line through from back to front.

Its a nightmare TBH. But this process will pull the ICR back into the exit port when its all connected.

Posted: Jan 26, 2021 at 17:29 Quote
[/Quote]

OMG, OK, I know your pain. So, a couple of options;

1. Take it back to the dealer. It really is a PITA to fix so might be better . . . .
2. Install both new RD and Brake Nylon ICR tubes (In hindsight probably the easiest option).
3. Dissasemble seat stay and chainstay. You will be able to see inside the seat stay from the rear. Push a cable inner from the headtube port through the brake ICR and see it come out the ICR in the chain stay which has detached from the carbon inside wall. Use a chopstick or something long to push the cable through the chain stay wall exit. You will now have a cable going all the way through. Use this cable to pull your brake line through from back to front.

Its a nightmare TBH. But this process will pull the ICR back into the exit port when its all connected.[/Quote]

I ordered the frame from a dealer out of state so that’s not an option. Do you have the sworks frame? If I separate the chainstay from the front triangle, are the tubes connected between the two? I have been able to push a housing from the head tube port back and it comes out the back of the chain stay so maybe I can use your chopstick method from there

Posted: Jan 26, 2021 at 17:45 Quote
Yes it’s the s works frame.

The ICR tube is one long tube through the front and rear triangle so be careful you don’t pull it out of the port retainer at the headtube. Don’t pull it too hard!

Keep going and find something long to push it through the chain stay port. It’s fiddle but will work.

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.006611
Mobile Version of Website