21’ Stumpjumper EVO thoughts

PB Forum :: Specialized
21’ Stumpjumper EVO thoughts
Posted: Apr 15, 2022 at 8:10 Quote
ksilvey10 wrote:
Henry88 wrote:
I've a SJ evo comp 2021 but I'm not satisfied about the shock. I'd like to have some advice on the best option. tsk. Enrico

Either upgrade to a floatx or x2 with a better bottom-out bumper or go with a less-expensive option: cascade link. With that, you can run a lot more pressure. This bike seems to feel better with only 23-25% sag and more LSC than other bikes (where 30% seems to be the magic number), so with the cascade link the dpx2 becomes much better. I weigh about 190 nekked and I thought i really needed a new shock, but i am satisfied with the new link and stock dpx2. Don't be afraid to try less sag and more damping. The bike seems to work better the stiffer you setup the shock

Posted: Apr 15, 2022 at 8:12 Quote
ksilvey10 wrote:
Henry88 wrote:
I've a SJ evo comp 2021 but I'm not satisfied about the shock. I'd like to have some advice on the best option. tsk. Enrico

Either upgrade to a floatx or x2 with a better bottom-out bumper or go with a less-expensive option: cascade link. With that, you can run a lot more pressure. This bike seems to feel better with only 23-25% sag and more LSC than other bikes (where 30% seems to be the magic number), so with the cascade link the dpx2 becomes much better. I weigh about 190 nekked and I thought i really needed a new shock, but i am satisfied with the new link and stock dpx2. Don't be afraid to try less sag and more damping. The bike seems to work better the stiffer you setup the shock

Posted: Apr 15, 2022 at 8:13 Quote
At the moment I'm with 22% of sag

Posted: Apr 15, 2022 at 9:11 Quote
ksilvey10 wrote:
Henry88 wrote:

Just 2 cents
I think that's very interesting. I have a Stump expert LT FSR. Now the frames are SIMILAR but it's amazing that everything you've described here is exactly what I did to get this riding perfect. Factory DPX2 SJ tuning, CC link, less sag, more LSC, little higher on the damping, and BAM! Thing rides perfect. After setting up like this I have much better results when I want to ride w/a little less PSI in my tires now too--they respond and track better.

I had to jump in and verify what you've said here because it sounds like great advice.

~JSV

Posted: Apr 15, 2022 at 9:19 Quote
Another vote for Cascade and DPX2 with higher pressure and less sag. It’s a great setup and with CushCore and low pressure, the bike will climb anything without the climb switch and descends very predictably.

Before the Cascade, I was shopping coil shocks, but I’ve been satisfied since the upgrade. If I kill the stock shock, I do think I’ll go with the new EXT Aria, but hopefully I don’t need to.

Posted: Apr 15, 2022 at 9:31 Quote
Ah ya! The CUSHCORE. That's the one thing I haven't added to my set-up. Maybe this season, but I was hoping to actually put it in my main hardtail. I think it belongs in the Stumpy. Thx' for the reminder.

~JSV

O+
Posted: Apr 15, 2022 at 10:28 Quote
I have a Cascade link and CCDB air on my bike. Love it so far. Running 27% sag. The damping is pretty amazing and very adjustable.

Also, if you have the Float X Performance, apparently you can order the LSC knob kit and install it on the shock. About $25... this should help 2022 non-SWorks owners w/ oem shock a bit. I have one on order, going to pick it up today...

Posted: Apr 15, 2022 at 12:37 Quote
ScaryGuiTarS wrote:
Ah ya! The CUSHCORE. That's the one thing I haven't added to my set-up. Maybe this season, but I was hoping to actually put it in my main hardtail. I think it belongs in the Stumpy. Thx' for the reminder.

~JSV

Yeah, I love CushCore in my rigid single speed. It makes it so much more comfortable and gives it a little better climbing traction.

I’d love to try Rimpact Pros on the Stumpy. Maybe next tire change I’ll switch. I just put new Maxxis on which were very easy to setup.

O+
Posted: Apr 15, 2022 at 14:04 Quote
davec113 wrote:
Also, if you have the Float X Performance, apparently you can order the LSC knob kit and install it on the shock. About $25... this should help 2022 non-SWorks owners w/ oem shock a bit. I have one on order, going to pick it up today...

Do you have a link to more detail on this?

Posted: Apr 15, 2022 at 23:13 Quote
kleinschuster wrote:
davec113 wrote:

There's a 2022 Fox Float X thread over at MTBR where someone has posted some photos.

O+
Posted: Apr 16, 2022 at 2:09 Quote
kleinschuster wrote:
davec113 wrote:

Here's the part number 808-17-470-KIT
And forum thread, see post #168 https://www.mtbr.com/threads/2022-fox-float-x.1181456/page-9

Posted: Apr 19, 2022 at 2:59 Quote
Has anyone done a frame bearing change yet?

Trying to figure out the best way to get the bearings out. The rocker link bearings are straightforward but the double row chainstay bearings with the axle spacer have me a bit confused?

Also, the main pivot at the BB - I can't remove the chainstay sufficiently away from the front triangle due to the cable guide tubes, is there a straightforward way of getting some more slack without loosing the tubes falling into the rear triangle?

Posted: Apr 20, 2022 at 7:16 Quote
Hi All, I'm hoping someone might be able to assist. I'm not sure if I'm being a bit silly but I bought a Rockguardz and I'm having issues fitting it. On the upper screw, there is a rectangular boss that protrudes through the frame. When I contacted Rockguardz they said the boss should be flush with the frame, which would make sense. Just wondering why mine seems to stick out through the frame. Hoping someone might be able to help this simple human being.

O+
Posted: Apr 20, 2022 at 11:31 Quote
enigmas1 wrote:

Trying to figure out the best way to get the bearings out. The rocker link bearings are straightforward but the double row chainstay bearings with the axle spacer have me a bit confused?

Also, the main pivot at the BB - I can't remove the chainstay sufficiently away from the front triangle due to the cable guide tubes, is there a straightforward way of getting some more slack without loosing the tubes falling into the rear triangle?

I can't comment on the main pivot question as I haven't dealt with the stumpy evo directly, but I have dealt with double row bearings on other FSR bikes- there are two option for how to remove- a slide hammer (not my favorite and expensive) or a bearing puller which you tighten into the bearing and then using a punch on the tool hit it out from the other side. Works really well.

Wheels MFG makes a set you can buy to cover all sizes, but my guess is that you only need one size, Check out Bearing Pro Tools and if you know the size of your bearing I think the tool is under $20.

https://www.bearingprotools.com/products/bearing-puller

O+
Posted: Apr 20, 2022 at 11:48 Quote
enigmas1 wrote:

I plan to do my frame bearings in the upcoming month or two. I know bearing sizes are listed in the owners manual, but can't locate the sizes online. Specialized sells the necessary sizes as a set, but this is out of stock. If I can get all the bearings I can start the job, but locating them is proving difficult!

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.011641
Mobile Version of Website