21’ Stumpjumper EVO thoughts

PB Forum :: Specialized
21’ Stumpjumper EVO thoughts
O+
Posted: Apr 20, 2022 at 15:54 Quote
Does anyone happen to have this piece of paper for their Stumpy Evo? I am trying to put on my Ride Wrap and realized Ride Wrap sent me the page for a Stumpjumper not an Evo. I would really appreciate it!

Posted: Apr 21, 2022 at 12:54 Quote
Hey! So have we agreed on a tune of RS Super Deluxe Ultimate?

SJevo comp owner here, switched the fork to Lyrik Ultimate and it is just amazing, so much better than the stock Fox 36 Rhythm. But it really made the shock (Float X performance) stand out in a bad way and I just cannot seem to make it work. It keeps kicking and trying to tip me over the bars both in rubble and on jumps. Plus it is a performance version without the LSC knob. Might slap there RS shock, but the only thing you can buy in Europe currently are low/low versions and that store states it is a version for ... heckler ... hightower ... etc. So there might be actually a different what? Tune? (all fo the are Low/low) Mounting hardware? Couldnt get a response from the store.

Thank you!

O+
Posted: Apr 21, 2022 at 17:21 Quote
ohboyjd wrote:

SJevo comp owner here, switched the fork to Lyrik Ultimate and it is just amazing, so much better than the stock Fox 36 Rhythm. But it really made the shock (Float X performance) stand out in a bad way and I just cannot seem to make it work. It keeps kicking and trying to tip me over the bars both in rubble and on jumps. Plus it is a performance version without the LSC knob. Might slap there RS shock, but the only thing you can buy in Europe currently are low/low versions and that store states it is a version for ... heckler ... hightower ... etc. So there might be actually a different what? Tune? (all fo the are Low/low) Mounting hardware? Couldnt get a response from the store.

Thank you!

I just posted this in the regular stumpy thread and saw your questions...

Fox shocks have a 4 digit code on their labels. Go to Fox's website under the tech section, enter in the 4 digit code of your current frame's o.e. shock and it will spit out what that shock tune for that frame is. If going with a X2, DPX2 or Float X, the tune will typically remain the same as the tune generally is just the compression.

https://www.ridefox.com/fox17/help.php?m=bike
https://www.ridefox.com/fox17/help.php?m=bike

Other than that, adding or removing volume spacers and adjusting rebound and compression is all that will remain....and the Specialized website has a suspension setup calculator that is about as good as it gets for a great initial setup to give you the riding experience that Specialized intends for that bike.

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/suspension-calculator/app
https://www.specialized.com/us/en/suspension-calculator/app

As far as the shock bucking you forward, sounds like you are either running too little sag (too much air pressure) and/or your rebound is too open for that air pressure (sag).
Fast fix, let some pressure out, 10 psi increments, and add slow down the rebound by a click or two and see if that helps.

Posted: Apr 21, 2022 at 22:34 Quote
Simann wrote:
ohboyjd wrote:

I just posted this in the regular stumpy thread and saw your questions...

(...)

As far as the shock bucking you forward, sounds like you are either running too little sag (too much air pressure) and/or your rebound is too open for that air pressure (sag).
Fast fix, let some pressure out, 10 psi increments, and add slow down the rebound by a click or two and see if that helps.

Thanks. Any setup suggestions are welcome. I used to have several X2s so I did my share of fiddling with dials. I run fork on 20% sag, 30% on shock. Adding and even maxing out rebound damping helped a bit, but not completely. I am a bit puzzled, because it is an EVOL shock tuned for the frame, so it should be pretty great. On the plus side - great mid stroke support and no bottoming out, I am using almost 100% of travel on the shock. I dont really want to run the fork much firmer than it is.

O+
Posted: Apr 22, 2022 at 5:34 Quote
Setup suggestion: Return the shock to open, zero air. Use the calculator and see how that feels, then adjust from there.

If you find that its low speed compression or not enough rebound that you are lacking (Shock is packing out on successive hits) you can install the LSC adjustment for something like $25-50.

From my keyboard, it reads like you are packing out the shock, that is, not enough low or high speed rebound, each successive hit the shock is not recovering before the next hit, so it dives into its travel.

O+
Posted: Apr 22, 2022 at 6:50 Quote
I'm having a hell of a time getting my rear derailleur housing through the internal cable routing on my Evo. I bought the frame used so the "guide tubes" are already installed. I can see them coming out the chainstay and going in through the back of the BB. I've tried to insert the housing from the top tube and chainstay but, it keeps getting blocked somewhere along the frame. Dropper and rear brake hose went in easy. Just the rear derailleur housing is giving me trouble.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Posted: Apr 22, 2022 at 7:40 Quote
My 2022 Stumpy evo is no longer. Bought October 4th 2021 RIP March 22 , 2022. South mountain in Az destroyed the frame.

That little plastic downtube guard is thin cheap plastic. I took a Rock strike to the top left of the guard and received a 2 inch crack in the frame which I didnt know about it until I removed the guard a week later. Then at the bottom of the guard there was two 3 inch crack by the bottom of the downtube. I also noticed the stickers made in Tiwan and the iso sticker had bubbled up in the middle on the other side from the flex .

I didnt want to fix it because of the weaken stress if the frame in other areas after the 900 repair bill from Ruckus in Oregon that I would of been charged. Specialized said go pound sand because of the rock strike and would not sell me a front triangle. 30 % of a 3k frame set ...LOL !

Only of If I would of taken that guard off and noticed it was so cheap and thin before the rock strike. More downtube protection is needed !

Posted: Apr 22, 2022 at 8:46 Quote
Apg2369 wrote:
My 2022 Stumpy evo is no longer. Bought October 4th 2021 RIP March 22 , 2022. South mountain in Az destroyed the frame.

That little plastic downtube guard is thin cheap plastic. I took a Rock strike to the top left of the guard and received a 2 inch crack in the frame which I didnt know about it until I removed the guard a week later. Then at the bottom of the guard there was two 3 inch crack by the bottom of the downtube. I also noticed the stickers made in Tiwan and the iso sticker had bubbled up in the middle on the other side from the flex .

I didnt want to fix it because of the weaken stress if the frame in other areas after the 900 repair bill from Ruckus in Oregon that I would of been charged. Specialized said go pound sand because of the rock strike and would not sell me a front triangle. 30 % of a 3k frame set ...LOL !

Only of If I would of taken that guard off and noticed it was so cheap and thin before the rock strike. More downtube protection is needed !
Sorry man, please check out Montenegro mfg in LA he fixed mine for $300 and did great, not only fixed it but reinforced it.

Posted: Apr 22, 2022 at 11:28 Quote
Apg2369 wrote:

What trail were you on at SoMo..? Its been talked about before many times, yes its "below standard" but there are options out there. Also when you repair carbon its 10X stronger. I ride chunky rock tech in Prescott Sedona SoMo Moab etc. and the EVO has been solid and I bang shit off of the downtube often. I did beef it up with the Rock Guards and some foam under it to absorb impacts.

best of luck

Posted: Apr 24, 2022 at 6:05 Quote
Apg2369 wrote:

i would have gotten that shit repaired

O+
Posted: Apr 24, 2022 at 18:38 Quote
First ride out. Absolutely loving this thing. Slack / high geo.

Posted: Apr 25, 2022 at 15:05 Quote
Has anyone else tried all the geo settings? I was pretty surprised to find that high/steep is the best overall feeling set up for me by far. Feels money on mellow trails and on steeps.

Copyright © 2000 - 2023. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.018225
Mobile Version of Website