21’ Stumpjumper EVO thoughts

PB Forum :: Specialized
21’ Stumpjumper EVO thoughts
Posted: May 4, 2022 at 1:10 Quote
a-prince wrote:
I'm having a hell of a time getting my rear derailleur housing through the internal cable routing on my Evo. I bought the frame used so the "guide tubes" are already installed. I can see them coming out the chainstay and going in through the back of the BB. I've tried to insert the housing from the top tube and chainstay but, it keeps getting blocked somewhere along the frame. Dropper and rear brake hose went in easy. Just the rear derailleur housing is giving me trouble.

Anyone have any suggestions?
I ran the housing from rear to front, no issues. When I tried from the steerertube it blocked at the bb area so I tried the other way.

Posted: May 4, 2022 at 1:13 Quote
[Quote="fitzy564"]Can I run the mullet link and just leave it in there with a 29er wheel? or is that dumb lol. I'm lazy and don't want to change the linkage all the time.[/Quote
Yes you can!

Posted: May 4, 2022 at 8:26 Quote
[Quote="mtbwillems"]
fitzy564 wrote:
Can I run the mullet link and just leave it in there with a 29er wheel? or is that dumb lol. I'm lazy and don't want to change the linkage all the time.[/Quote
Yes you can!

Was it any good or not really?

Posted: May 4, 2022 at 22:00 Quote
[Quote="fitzy564"]
mtbwillems wrote:
fitzy564 wrote:
Can I run the mullet link and just leave it in there with a 29er wheel? or is that dumb lol. I'm lazy and don't want to change the linkage all the time.[/Quote
Yes you can!

Was it any good or not really?
I was able to ride everything I was used to. Had less pedalstroke cause of the higher bb.

Posted: May 6, 2022 at 0:48 Quote
ctopherb wrote:
birnie wrote:
On my stumpy evo it come with a 175mm travel X-fusion post on a size S4. I still have a fair bit of seat post sticking out. Am I nuts considering changing the post for an extra 25mm travel? I was thinking of a PNW Loam 200mm. Has anyone else changed their dropper posts?

I put the PNW Loam 200 on my S4 Stumpy Evo. I really like the extra travel and have been very happy with the performance of that dropper. Snappy, adjustable return. It is a longer post so it can't be completely slammed down into the seat tube, but with the travel adjust on the Loam, you have some flexibility if needed.
What is the distance from mid bottom bracket to the seatrails in cm? I want some more drop on mine.

O+
Posted: May 6, 2022 at 2:54 Quote
Can anyone on here comment on soeciaoized tires vs maxxis? I’m really interested in giving the butcher/eliminator a try as opposed to my normal assegai/dhr

O+
Posted: May 6, 2022 at 4:36 Quote
Whats the longest Oneup dropper that can fit in an S3 frame? I'm guessing either the 180 or 210 would fit?

Looking to repalce the stock 150mm xfusion dropper

Posted: May 6, 2022 at 7:54 Quote
hartmd25 wrote:
Can anyone on here comment on soeciaoized tires vs maxxis? I’m really interested in giving the butcher/eliminator a try as opposed to my normal assegai/dhr

I've found the butcher/eliminator a great combo that I'm going to keep running on my bikes. Usually did DHF/aggressor and it just felt meh.

Posted: May 6, 2022 at 7:59 Quote
hartmd25 wrote:

Didn't really like the Eliminator, side blocks got ripped off quickly in local rocks. Changed to a DHR and much happier. The Butcher is pretty solid though, but will likely go to an Aggressor just to have the drapes match the curtains.

O+
Posted: May 6, 2022 at 9:06 Quote
hartmd25 wrote:

I found them to wear pretty quickly. I was much happier going back to my regular setup of Assesgai/DHRII combo.

Posted: May 6, 2022 at 9:08 Quote
Currently have a 30t on my stumpy, can I go down to a 28t?

Posted: May 6, 2022 at 9:45 Quote
jimmythesemi wrote:
hartmd25 wrote:

I found them to wear pretty quickly. I was much happier going back to my regular setup of Assesgai/DHRII combo.

I had them on my 2019 Stumpy butcher/purgatory). Once they got to a good broken-in stage they were much better when a little more PSI was needed. The Purgatory on the rear was a decent pedaling and not too bad climbing tire. Braking was ok too on the softer dirt if I remember correctly--it dug-in pretty well. Could've used a tougher wall though, got a pinch flat pretty easy.

The Butcher up front is really the one that didn't stay too stable on turns when it has lower PSI, like 25 and lower. Folded too quickly on rougher terrain and more aggressive riding. I actually liked the way the knobbies softened up enough for grip. Those tires really seemed to like flatter, fire road, and weren't TOO bad on pebbly trail. Maybe a better XC type tire.

Everything seemed to improve AND allow me to run lower PSI after switching to the Maxxis on that bike. AssGuy up front and a DHR2 rear. I'm running 29 X 2.6's on 30mm carbon Rovals, so maybe if I was using a more narrow tire I'll bet I would've liked them a lot more. It really came down to the sidewall feeling on those.

~JSV

O+
Posted: May 6, 2022 at 10:31 Quote
hartmd25 wrote:
The new Butcher Grid Trail T9 is a very good tire. Just switched from an Assegai & found it better damped, solid in corners & I don't find it squirmy even running 19.5psi (29x2.6).
I also run the T7 Eliminator 2.6 in the rear. Used to run DHR2s, but in my area we seem to get a lot of sidewall tears on those. I'm on my 3rd Eliminator & won't be paying the Maxxis tax.

O+
Posted: May 6, 2022 at 10:34 Quote
Maxxis offers some of the best performance, but they are $$ and wear out super fast. For me two/three weeks on a 3C Maxterra DD DHRII and it’s shot. Undercut side knobs and center knobs mangled. At that rate it’s a serious chunk of change for the entire season to keep my tires fresh.

Michelin wild enduros offer some of the best longevity/price point in my opinion. I have only used the old Specialized rubber but I liked the Butcher / Eliminator combo. 2.6 width Spec. tires are balloons, I much prefer the 2.3. Butchers have nice knobs for biting but I would rip them off and expose the threads underneath the rubber.

Posted: May 6, 2022 at 10:40 Quote
a-prince wrote:
Maxxis offers some of the best performance, but they are $$ and wear out super fast. For me two/three weeks on a 3C Maxterra DD DHRII and it’s shot. Undercut side knobs and center knobs mangled. At that rate it’s a serious chunk of change for the entire season to keep my tires fresh.

Michelin wild enduros offer some of the best longevity/price point in my opinion. I have only used the old Specialized rubber but I liked the Butcher / Eliminator combo. 2.6 width Spec. tires are balloons, I much prefer the 2.3. Butchers have nice knobs for biting but I would rip them off and expose the threads underneath the rubber.

2-3 weeks??? holy balls yo must go hard

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2023. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.014458
Mobile Version of Website