21’ Stumpjumper EVO thoughts

PB Forum :: Specialized
21’ Stumpjumper EVO thoughts
Author Message
Posted: May 25, 2022 at 20:37 Quote

Just picked up this Comp in S5 to replace my broken Ripmo V1 XL.

After about 40 miles of seat time in Steep/High my one line review would be “It’s everything I wished the Ripmo was.”
I swapped over the Ripmo’s cockpit and wheel/tire package to keep things familiar and focus on the frame. Reach, stack, and BB height are within a few mm of the Ripmo in Steep/High so it felt natural right away. My local trails are punchy with greasy limestone and roots.
I think the Evo has better climbing composure and traction despite feeling slightly less efficient. In some way overall output feels like a wash as you can just relax and spin on the Evo where the Ripmo requires more effort to keep the back from spinning out. No noticeable change in pedal strikes.
The Ripmo feels firm and fast if you’re precise and work to pop over chunder or stay light on the pedals. The Evo is generally more forgiving and feels like it accelerates through chunder by comparison. I’d like to try my Topaz on the Evo to separate the kinematic from the spring/damper to see what this Float X is worth. I don’t notice a lack of stiffness in the Evo as much as a lack of harshness.

So far I’m super pleased with the Evo and look forward to dialing it in as the trails dry out.

Posted: Jun 11, 2022 at 2:47 Quote
Bossk128 wrote:
knutspeed wrote:
Bossk128 wrote:
I'm in the market for a 2022 Stumpjumper Evo: unfortunately my LBS has only 2 scheduled restocks: an S5 in May, or an S6 in October.

I'm 192cm, and coming from a 650B short travel bike. I'm looking for something that can take on bigger downhill trails (eg BPW, reds at Whinlatter in the UK).

but I'm still after a playful snappy bike rather than a luxury barge Smile

Think the S5 will be OK?


190 here, long upper body/arms. Running an S5 with a 50mm stem, and it's spot on. For my local trails I'm running it in steep/high, and it's surprisingly snappy. Tried other settings, but that's over the top here. Will go medium/high for parks later on, not sure I need more actually.

I'm also long backed and gibbon armed so sounds like s5 is good!
Can't wait.

Ordered and due in end of July. Can't wait!

Posted: Jun 16, 2022 at 20:26 Quote
Does anyone have a factory float x takeoff they want to get rid of? Building up an alloy frameset with components off another bike and trying to match kashima.

Posted: Jun 17, 2022 at 3:42 Quote
Hi all! I've managed to instal 210 mm One Up V2 dropper in my 2022 SJ Evo S3 alloy. I am 178 cm tall and needed to insert the dropper post as far as I could. But it fits perfectly. My inside leg length is about 84 cm.

Posted: Jun 17, 2022 at 10:06 Quote
PiotrWa wrote:
Hi all! I've managed to instal 210 mm One Up V2 dropper in my 2022 SJ Evo S3 alloy. I am 178 cm tall and needed to insert the dropper post as far as I could. But it fits perfectly. My inside leg length is about 84 cm.
Thanks, nice know because I have same size of the frame and my leg length is almost the same.

Posted: Jun 24, 2022 at 18:28 Quote
PiotrWa wrote:
Hi all! I've managed to instal 210 mm One Up V2 dropper in my 2022 SJ Evo S3 alloy. I am 178 cm tall and needed to insert the dropper post as far as I could. But it fits perfectly. My inside leg length is about 84 cm.

Can you post a picture to show far it goes in ? Did you have the 150mm post that comes with an S3 ? I am struggling with this and am 178cm as well. Some measurement numbers to go with that picture would be awesome !!!

Posted: Jun 29, 2022 at 4:46 Quote
Whats everyone done about the "seemingly" lack of rear progression? as a heavier rider i really benefit from Highly progressive frames, last one being 29.X% vs the 19% of the evo, im struggling to get a good mid stroke feel when pumping the bike, Like especially when trying to compression/drive the rear into a take off i really feel like i keep sinking through the travel.
Theres good discussion on the FB group with many just going up in spacers from the .2 in the float X - does this bike benefit from the Uptake in spacers or is the CC link worth its expense?

Current setup: 270psi for 28% sag
I've tried running alot of compression on flow trails, Moved rebound around a bit depending on conditions.

The bike soaks up the hits on the chunder but just struggles to absorb big compressions or when im on flow trails Where i need to generate pop from shoddy jump design or slow roll in's.

Posted: Jun 29, 2022 at 6:39 Quote
Add all the volume spacers you can and try it. Cheap and easy.

Posted: Jun 29, 2022 at 8:38 Quote
HeatedRotor wrote:
Whats everyone done about the "seemingly" lack of rear progression? as a heavier rider i really benefit from Highly progressive frames, last one being 29.X% vs the 19% of the evo, im struggling to get a good mid stroke feel when pumping the bike, Like especially when trying to compression/drive the rear into a take off i really feel like i keep sinking through the travel.
Theres good discussion on the FB group with many just going up in spacers from the .2 in the float X - does this bike benefit from the Uptake in spacers or is the CC link worth its expense?

Current setup: 270psi for 28% sag
I've tried running alot of compression on flow trails, Moved rebound around a bit depending on conditions.

The bike soaks up the hits on the chunder but just struggles to absorb big compressions or when im on flow trails Where i need to generate pop from shoddy jump design or slow roll in's.

me: 185lbs
Float X
Cascade Link
225psi
.6 spacer

Bike feels great adjust accordingly...the Cascade made a noticeable difference

Posted: Jun 29, 2022 at 14:15 Quote
OK Thanks - will order a CC link. But does anyone know if the CC link and the WRP mullet link work OK together?

Posted: Jun 29, 2022 at 15:09 Quote
HeatedRotor wrote:
OK Thanks - will order a CC link. But does anyone know if the CC link and the WRP mullet link work OK together?

I don't see why not.

Posted: Jun 29, 2022 at 17:10 Quote
Just went for a ride with the .6 spacer with WRP mullet link, up from .2.. better for sure but still using all the travel on parts i shouldnt, will try .7 & .8 next rides - then move to CC if it doesnt get into a good range.

Posted: Jun 29, 2022 at 17:22 Quote
HeatedRotor wrote:
OK Thanks - will order a CC link. But does anyone know if the CC link and the WRP mullet link work OK together?
It's one or the other. I don't believe CC makes a mullet link.


 
Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.008226
Mobile Version of Website