21’ Stumpjumper EVO thoughts

PB Forum :: Specialized
21’ Stumpjumper EVO thoughts
Posted: Jul 27, 2022 at 1:36 Quote
Mine came stock with a rockshox super deluxe select plus (evo ltd) and mullet link. I really love how it rides. I also participated in enduro-race with satisfying result. Only minus on the shock is the lack of compression dialing. It is my first fully so I can't compare.

Posted: Jul 28, 2022 at 1:29 Quote
STEVO should really be considered as an aggressive trail bike rather than enduro. I'm coming from 27.5 Reign to STEVO alloy and can say that suspension is noticeably firmer, not as push and glued to the ground. That's not been said that you can not use it as your enduro weapon of choice. 170mm fork and coil shock can really change things and give you an ability to really let your brakes off and plow through rock gardens, but you immediately lose in agility and, I would say, it's "trail" manners.

Posted: Jul 28, 2022 at 6:01 Quote
It never was considered and enduro bike

Posted: Jul 29, 2022 at 12:19 Quote
I'm in a frustrating place with my Evo. I'm 6'8", 230lbs (the height means I can't "just loose some weight). My bike is a '21 S-works frame so it came with the Factory DPX2. Fun to jump, terrible when things got choppy and loose. I swapped that out for a take-off DVO T3 from a Ripmpo AF. The shock was noticeably more plush and able to handle chatter, BUT... side load forces + my weight have done it in. Cry I just sent it to DVO for a service and custom tune, but they even said that it's not an "if" but a "when" the shock breaks again. (To summarize their words: those bikes are known for eating shocks and your weight isn't helping).

It seems like a fatal flaw to make a bike sized for Clyde's like me but leave the yoke design that is known for it's issues. Of course, I didn't know any of this when I bought it...

I'll report back on how the DVO does and how long it lasts. But it looks like I'll be either selling the bike at the end of this season or investing some serious money in an EXT or Push shock that can handle the suspension design.

O+
Posted: Jul 29, 2022 at 12:26 Quote
Yeah, the EXT, Ohlins or Push are really the only coil shocks that are made to withstand that much side loading. Unfortunately all three are all north of $800.

I'm just going to enjoy this bike until something else catches my eye.... which is the new Revel Rail 29. CBF suspension is really that good.

Posted: Jul 29, 2022 at 13:02 Quote
Pdrenth wrote:
I'm in a frustrating place with my Evo. I'm 6'8", 230lbs (the height means I can't "just loose some weight). My bike is a '21 S-works frame so it came with the Factory DPX2. Fun to jump, terrible when things got choppy and loose. I swapped that out for a take-off DVO T3 from a Ripmpo AF. The shock was noticeably more plush and able to handle chatter, BUT... side load forces + my weight have done it in. Cry I just sent it to DVO for a service and custom tune, but they even said that it's not an "if" but a "when" the shock breaks again. (To summarize their words: those bikes are known for eating shocks and your weight isn't helping).

It seems like a fatal flaw to make a bike sized for Clyde's like me but leave the yoke design that is known for it's issues. Of course, I didn't know any of this when I bought it...

I'll report back on how the DVO does and how long it lasts. But it looks like I'll be either selling the bike at the end of this season or investing some serious money in an EXT or Push shock that can handle the suspension design.

Posted: Jul 29, 2022 at 13:02 Quote
What yoke issues ?

O+
Posted: Jul 29, 2022 at 13:27 Quote
MikeG613 wrote:
What yoke issues ?

Specialized offset shock with yoke likes to put unequal stress on the shocks, wearing dampers down prematurely, some, catastrophically failing. Specialized did clock the yoke for the 2021+ year Stumpjumper models to reduce this side loading.

Shocks from Ohlins, EXT and Push use spherical bearings for the frame mount to help combat wear and failure with yoke driven suspension designs.

https://www.vitalmtb.com/amp/34256

bigquotes
The last, and potentially most important, design considerations for the Stumpjumper EVO are the spherical bearing and steel shaft. The spherical eyelet bearing uses hardened spherical ball bearings to eliminate rotational friction from linkages as well as shaft binding caused by flex under load. In addition to the spherical bearing, the shock uses a high-strength steel shaft to further aid durability when fixed to a yoke-style mount. These additions make not only a coil possible, but greatly reduce unnecessary wear and tear over the long haul.

Posted: Jul 29, 2022 at 13:36 Quote
I was aware that Push used spherical bearings but not EXT. Upon looking it up, EXT offers it on some fitment/shock combinations but not all. I'm actively talking with EXT and I'll ask them about this added "insurance" against these forces. Thanks for nudging me...

Posted: Jul 29, 2022 at 13:41 Quote
Simann wrote:
Yeah, the EXT, Ohlins or Push are really the only coil shocks that are made to withstand that much side loading. Unfortunately all three are all north of $800.

I'm just going to enjoy this bike until something else catches my eye.... which is the new Revel Rail 29. CBF suspension is really that good.

I've heard great things about the Rail from a riding buddy who recently bought one. But they also use a yoke design, similar to Stumpy's and at face value, they look very similar. I wonder what they have done to prevent the side load issues that plague the Evo? Have you looked into this and have sources that say one way or another? Just curious... Not that it matters to me, they don't make frames in my size.

I've also heard from bigger riders that the Ohlins shocks still have issues, though less than Fox or RS.

O+
Posted: Jul 29, 2022 at 14:16 Quote
Pdrenth wrote:
Simann wrote:

I've heard great things about the Rail from a riding buddy who recently bought one. But they also use a yoke design, similar to Stumpy's and at face value, they look very similar. I wonder what they have done to prevent the side load issues that plague the Evo? Have you looked into this and have sources that say one way or another? Just curious... Not that it matters to me, they don't make frames in my size.

I've also heard from bigger riders that the Ohlins shocks still have issues, though less than Fox or RS.

The Revel Rail, or any CBF suspension design, does not have an offset yoke like specialized uses, so it should not be a problem. The Stumpjumper frames have the "strut brace" between the seat tube and top tube, which the compromise of that design is the offset shock design.

Posted: Jul 29, 2022 at 14:58 Quote
Pdrenth wrote:
Simann wrote:

Fox yes... RS no. They have their rear shocks dialed and not as warranty proned.

Posted: Jul 29, 2022 at 18:19 Quote
I have to say - after never once riding a STEVO or specialized anything’s- 5/6 rides on a 160-150 22 STEVO vs a V2 Hightower and the rear shock vs VPP is superior.
The stevo feels better / plush / sturdy .

O+
Posted: Aug 2, 2022 at 10:53 Quote
My STEVO is running mullet with the OEM mullet link. EXT Storia Coil at 575lbs. Sag is spot on, but no surprise I blow through travel given the lack of progression.

Lots of great discussion here about the CC link to add progression and/or the WRP product to improve mulletness.

What about the simpler solution of a progressive spring like the Cane Creek Valt? Isn't this scenario exactly what those are for? Just hadn't seen any discussion and $100 solution rather than a $300+ solution seems more betterer.

Posted: Aug 2, 2022 at 11:04 Quote
HalfJewJace wrote:
My STEVO is running mullet with the OEM mullet link. EXT Storia Coil at 575lbs. Sag is spot on, but no surprise I blow through travel given the lack of progression.

Lots of great discussion here about the CC link to add progression and/or the WRP product to improve mulletness.

What about the simpler solution of a progressive spring like the Cane Creek Valt? Isn't this scenario exactly what those are for? Just hadn't seen any discussion and $100 solution rather than a $300+ solution seems more betterer.

I’ve finished tinkering with mine. Took it out today. Feels brilliant. I added a bigger volume spacer, reduced the sag to about 26%, I also added the lsc dial to my shock as it didn’t come with one. The bike feels like it should to me now.

I think your right though. Looking for cheaper options should definitely be achievable.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.014530
Mobile Version of Website