21’ Stumpjumper EVO thoughts

PB Forum :: Specialized
21’ Stumpjumper EVO thoughts
Posted: Aug 6, 2022 at 8:45 Quote
HalfJewJace wrote:
My STEVO is running mullet with the OEM mullet link. EXT Storia Coil at 575lbs. Sag is spot on, but no surprise I blow through travel given the lack of progression.

Talk to EXT in UTAH and send your Storia back to them to put a different dampening circuit in.
I did that for my Levo SL and went to a slightly stiffer spring at 600# and its spot on.

Posted: Aug 6, 2022 at 8:47 Quote
Pdrenth wrote:
HalfJewJace wrote:
My STEVO is running mullet with the OEM mullet link. EXT Storia Coil at 575lbs. Sag is spot on, but no surprise I blow through travel given the lack of progression.

Lots of great discussion here about the CC link to add progression and/or the WRP product to improve mulletness.

What about the simpler solution of a progressive spring like the Cane Creek Valt? Isn't this scenario exactly what those are for? Just hadn't seen any discussion and $100 solution rather than a $300+ solution seems more betterer.

So, there are a couple of challenge to this. First, the Vault springs aren't available in spring rates high enough for heavier riders (like me, 230lbs). The leverage rate is a tad on the high side at basically 3:1, which would mean that my spring would need to be about 725 - 750#. The Vault is only available in a spring up to 675 (I think).

The other issue is that the cascade link increases the leverage rate off the top to about 3.5 (again, from memory). This means that I would require an 800-825# spring, which are less common except for EXT and Push.

EXT is coming out with a new airshock...this could be interesting and a good option given your height and weight.

Posted: Aug 7, 2022 at 3:42 Quote
Anyone know if the Fidlock 800ml bottle can fit on the S4 frame without fouling the shock please?

Posted: Aug 8, 2022 at 14:47 Quote
Anyone having issues with the DPX2 shock leaking air? I'm noticing ~20psi drop between rides. Getting the shock serviced this week. Hopefully won't be an ongoing issue given the additional loading these shocks see being yoke-mounted.

Posted: Aug 8, 2022 at 18:31 Quote
How tall are you, just wondering for my own sake

Leiito wrote:
Hey everyone! Thought I'd post here since FB hasn't been very helpful. I'm hoping to size down from a practically new S4 evo to an S3. Wondering if anyone around was wanting to size up?? I do have a listing on the classifieds page in case anyone may be interested.

Hope this is allowed..

Thanks!

Posted: Aug 9, 2022 at 5:54 Quote
coast2coast-4 wrote:
Anyone having issues with the DPX2 shock leaking air? I'm noticing ~20psi drop between rides. Getting the shock serviced this week. Hopefully won't be an ongoing issue given the additional loading these shocks see being yoke-mounted.

My DPX2 on my SB130 leaked a little, and my recently sent for service DVO T3 shock also leaked. I think it's somewhat common among shocks that are worn out. If yours is original to the bike, see your LBS about a warranty.

Also, to confirm, that it's actually leaking and not just that you're seeing a reduction in air pressure when you connect the pump. In my case, both were definitely leaking and whenever I asked about it "in public", everyone jumped down my throat and "educated" me on how a shock pump works. Blank Stare Dead Horse Just confirming this in your case, but not assuming...

Posted: Aug 10, 2022 at 20:12 Quote
easy way to test if it's your pump... fill the shock, take the gauge off, put back on. I bet it's 20psi.

O+
Posted: Aug 10, 2022 at 22:01 Quote
birnie wrote:
Hi All, I know there’s been a lot of talk about shocks & setups. I just wanted some advice/opinions. I own Stevo comp, comes with the Float X shock. I love the bike but it really doesn’t feel that great on the rear, I can’t really explain it, just feels harsh I guess. My previous bike had 150mm travel so I know how it should feel & understand it’s limitations, it just doesn’t feel great at all. I don’t have a great deal of money for upgrades now. Any advice would be really appreciated. Thank you

Get the cascade link. I've seen a ton of good reviews on these forums, I was skeptical but went for it... game changer. Significantly improved the rear end in every way. Better small bump, better climbing, better traction, better mid-stroke support, less hash bottom outs. I don't understand how they do it, but it's the truth. I'm 150lbs on an S2, with stock dpx2. First ride on it and I PR'd every downhill section on my local loop. Best $200 upgrade I've spent, hands down.

Posted: Aug 11, 2022 at 8:35 Quote
jkwilli47 wrote:
Get the cascade link. I've seen a ton of good reviews on these forums, I was skeptical but went for it... game changer. Significantly improved the rear end in every way. Better small bump, better climbing, better traction, better mid-stroke support, less hash bottom outs. I don't understand how they do it, but it's the truth. I'm 150lbs on an S2, with stock dpx2. First ride on it and I PR'd every downhill section on my local loop. Best $200 upgrade I've spent, hands down.

Yeah, I'm 190 pounds on an S5 with the DPX2 and the Cascade really changed how well the bike works. Great, easy upgrade.

O+
Posted: Aug 11, 2022 at 12:41 Quote
What are you all trying to “fix” with the CC link?

Posted: Aug 11, 2022 at 13:00 Quote
mmarkey21 wrote:

The stock link is just weird, it's slow to get into initial travel, blows through the middle and last part of travel. The Cascade wakes up the front and stiffens up the middle.

O+
Posted: Aug 11, 2022 at 16:27 Quote
bentin wrote:
mmarkey21 wrote:

The stock link is just weird, it's slow to get into initial travel, blows through the middle and last part of travel. The Cascade wakes up the front and stiffens up the middle.

Do you think that’s a DPX2 issue or the link? Seems like the Float X2 is supposed to have more midstroke support.

Posted: Aug 12, 2022 at 2:28 Quote
How is the cascade link with a coil shock?

Posted: Aug 12, 2022 at 2:35 Quote
Pitty the cascade link isn't optimized for mullet set-up.

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.007385
Mobile Version of Website